Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire Steve the Sloth's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Dating Roadblock

So, I've gotten to a point where I deemed it necessary to make an account on here after browsing for the past couple years. A lot of the threads in here are great and I love getting everyone's insight into almost all of the things discussed in regards to dating, men, women, etc.

I've recently found myself in a situation where I could use much of the insight you guys offer so what better time to post! I made a big move cross-country with a girl I was seeing for a few years. To sum it up, she met someone shortly after getting here and is now with him, go figure. It's been a decent amount of time (about 8 months) and being an avid WoW player, I spend a good portion of my time playing (as well as work and other various hobbies I'm in to). It has me worried though because I've met a few women I've been attracted to, managed to muddle through a couple dates but they didn't turn into anything worthwhile. Point of all of this is that I'm worried that my current interests are a repellent for a potential relationship. In my dream world, I'd love to meet someone who also plays WoW because we'd both have an understanding of what attracts a person to play the game. I also struggle with the fact that I don't want a dammed video game to shape an important chunk of my life but I've been playing for 5+ years and it's something I truly enjoy.

Do you guys have any advice on how to overcome this dilemma? Is there a magical land filled with women who play WoW (or any video games for that matter)?

P.S. Sorry for the mini-rant, I have a lot on my mind!

Thanks for any input!

10+ Year Old Account
    There are no girls on the internet.

Ahem, stereotypes aside, you don't have to find someone who plays video games to date. Just find someone who's chill about you having a hobby... And yes, there are girls who play video games.

Why not just play less? I used to raid pretty hardcore and scaled it back after realizing the negative impact on basic aspects of life that it has. I still play enough to have fun and compete in PvP. If the way you're thinking is, "I don't want my romantic life to mess with my WoW", it's time to reverse that thinking.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I wish you luck in your journey to find a wow girl...i really do. Fine tune your dating profile and hope you strike gold. I have no advice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I wish you luck in your journey to find a wow girl...i really do. Fine tune your dating profile and hope you strike gold. I have no advice.
    She must be brunet, between 5.4-5.6 and weight between 120-150 also!

10+ Year Old Account
    You might try a dating site like OK Cupid. If you're serious about finding a girl who's also into gaming, then you might want to mention it in your profile. It may scare away those who are repelled by that, but it wouldn't work out with them anyway, right? I did once meet a gamer through OKCupid once by mistake, but she turned out to be exactly the kind of girl I always detested in WoW, the one that gets off on seeking attention in trade chat and flirting with various guys in the guild to play factions off each other and create strife. It was her own way of trolling. I couldn't believe she was telling me all this on a first date. She didn't get a second date. Too bad too, because she was pretty damn hot.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Just talk to people on WoW, it's not hard to tell when someone is either male or female. Usually the females that DO talk to you are worth spending time with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I think I would save michal jordan's life. That guy was just such a great singer
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't pay for food for anyone I'm not sleeping with and you shouldn't either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    There are no girls on the internet.

Ahem, stereotypes aside, you don't have to find someone who plays video games to date. Just find someone who's chill about you having a hobby... And yes, there are girls who play video games.
    It could quite possibly just be the women I've dated but it's hard to pass a video game as a hobby tbh. Alot of the stigma now-a-days falls in line with "oh you play video games? Must be lazy and just sit in a bean bag chair eating cheetos". In reality, I work in the graphic design field as well as day trade but the mention of video games has more often than not, completely voided that fact.

I'm sure I have quite a long road ahead of me and I know a lot of my thinking is most likely going to have to change. Where to begin?!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sicarus View Post
    Just talk to people on WoW, it's not hard to tell when someone is either male or female. Usually the females that DO talk to you are worth spending time with.
    Very true, although often times most chicks play this game with the mind set of "everyone's just tryin to fuck me" (I honestly don't blame them)

Stop playing WoW cold turkey, one of the best choices I've ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    I second this. It actually got me out and enjoying life again, and when you're out and enjoying life you're much more likely to find someone more worth being in a relationship with.

15+ Year Old Account
    Odds are you would not choose to play WoW just as much if you had a girlfriend.
    You still might but maybe not have it as a starting point that you NEED a girlfriend that either enjoy gaming or dont mind you gaming alot?
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I second this. It actually got me out and enjoying life again, and when you're out and enjoying life you're much more likely to find someone more worth being in a relationship with.
    I'd have to agree. I didn't get a girlfriend until I stopped playing WoW and actually got out of the house on occasion.

I couldn't agree with this more. Only after quitting the game did my dating life get back on track and progressed to a long-term relationship. Many girls I met before couldn't deal with the stigma associated with gamers in terms of not having enough time to pay attention to their girlfriends, even though many guys who game are totally descent guys.

10+ Year Old Account
    To contrast the above posts...I met my then girlfriend on the internet, started out long distance, but we moved in together and she's a huge nerd and loves WoW more than I do and now we're married. She may not have a perfect bubble butt or a huge rack, but if that's all you want, you don't need a relationship anyway.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If role playing was your thing you'd trip on women left and right. Most of them would be lesbians from California, but you'd still trip on women.

Of course, I didn't role play solely for the women.

*twirls whiskers*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    If role playing was your thing you'd trip on women left and right. Most of them would be lesbians from California, but you'd still trip on women.

Of course, I didn't role play solely for the women.

*twirls whiskers*
    That made me chuckle.

Deleted
    I was looking for a girl gamer too, because I wanted someone who would have the same interests.

Eventually I stopped looking, and out of nowhere, there she was! After a few months of dating it turned into a relationship.

Although I'm not playing WoW anymore, I'm still into gaming and I asked her if she wanted to try out some games.
    Turns out she really likes the old school Mario games and platformers such as Rayman.

Stop looking and you'll meet a girl in no time. Don't look for a specific type. If she's any good, she'll give your hobbies a go.
    Just be sure to put in the same effort and try out her hobby/interests

Quote Originally Posted by Classiccs View Post
    Do you guys have any advice on how to overcome this dilemma? Is there a magical land filled with women who play WoW (or any video games for that matter)?
    Dude, sorry to say this but women interested in video games have a swarm of boys buzzing around them. It's like the holy grail of dating, and these girls have A LOT of options to pick, so unless you're Bad Pitt or something you aren't likely to get their attention. It's like wanting to date a super model.

Unless ofcourse they're ugly or have issues and can never keep a guy.

Met two girls over wow and was involved in an e-relationship. One was a nice but strange person who had 3 children with 3 different dads (should have been a big red flag but nooooo, men will be boys) and apparently desperate for finding a partner (probably so she can have the 4th kid with him), and the other one had issues and outbursts of anger, also it seemed she didn't really have a place in her "busy" life for someone else, really didn't understand that latter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rickz View Post
    Stop looking and you'll meet a girl in no time. Don't look for a specific type. If she's any good, she'll give your hobbies a go.
    Just be sure to put in the same effort and try out her hobby/interests
    Depends. Certain lifestyles that don't involve meeting new people, will not help you at all in finding someone by not looking, so this advice is not 100% helpful.
    Last edited by Molestron; 2013-11-18 at 08:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because it worked for you doesn't mean it's the best choice for everyone! Personally though if you're finding it so hard to meet people that's probably in your best interest or at least cut back the time you spend playing.

But really in the end it's your life and don't live it according to tradition if you don't want to! Live it for you and for what you want because in the end that's what life's about.

If you need hope though a good friend/guildie of mine and his wife (who he met on wow) just had a baby though, so it does happen!!!

If you ever just want a buddy to chat with or run a muck with (assuming you're on US realms) shoot me your Battletag. :P
    Last edited by Treeskee; 2013-11-18 at 08:22 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Molestron View Post
    Dude, sorry to say this but women interested in video games have a swarm of boys buzzing around them. It's like the holy grail of dating, and these girls have A LOT of options to pick, so unless you're Bad Pitt or something you aren't likely to get their attention. It's like wanting to date a super model.

Unless ofcourse they're ugly or have issues and can never keep a guy.

Met two girls over wow and was involved in an e-relationship. One was a nice but strange person who had 3 children with 3 different dads (should have been a big red flag but nooooo, men will be boys) and apparently desperate for finding a partner (probably so she can have the 4th kid with him), and the other one had issues and outbursts of anger, also it seemed she didn't really have a place in her "busy" life for someone else, really didn't understand that latter.

- - - Updated - - -

Depends. Certain lifestyles that don't involve meeting new people, will not help you at all in finding someone by not looking, so this advice is not 100% helpful.
    True, it won't work for everyone, but it did for me.

I found my exes through school and via facebook/friends. Found my current girlfriend through my work. (she's not my colleague though )