Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    You should go and see a doctor. I know it's a struggle to realize that yourself. Tell your closest friends or family that you need help.

The healthcare can provide someone for you to talk to. It really helps to talk to someone, and i believe you've come to that realization too by posting on a forum asking for help.
    They will most likely give you medication to help cope with your days too.

You're not gonna figure this out yourself, don't let it ruin your life even worse by losing your job and the family and friends who are still there for you.

Edit
    Get a pet. Someone who needs you to take care of them.

This is my dog, she's helping me thru my depression.
    http://tinyurl.com/pf5e6dm

Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    Stop being so EMO and seeing yourself as a victim would be a good start. Being EMO and waking up to the real world is not a depression. jeez, I swear 90% of youth today are apparently "depressed"
    I hope you wake up to the real world of depression. Douche.
    Last edited by Svettmormor; 2013-11-18 at 08:05 AM.

Deleted
    Stop being so EMO and seeing yourself as a victim would be a good start. Being EMO and waking up to the real world is not a depression. jeez, I swear 90% of youth today are apparently "depressed"
    I'm curious if it's diagnosed for him or not, but regardless - Go visit a doctor, asap - I delayed mine for close to 5 years on false hopes and the like, it's far worse than i previously thought.

Also, you seem to have a lot of time to waste; start working out or biking - It's a huge confidence boost and keeps the mind off certain things, which is what i do.

You lack a lot of what i endure currently, but this doesn't diminish it - Go with family if you can't go on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Phildozer View Post
    I've been suffering from crippling depression for the past 5 or 6 years and it's always been something I thought I could manage on my own. That all changed a few months ago when my girlfriend of 2 years who I genuinely loved and wanted to spend the rest of my life with left me because I am depressed. I had our engagement ring halfway paid off and before this happened I was starting to feel like I finally had something to live for. Ever since the day she broke up with me which really seemed to come out of nowhere because she always knew about my depression she has completely ignored all of my attempts to speak with her. Literally no response at all. This completely destroyed me because when she went through difficult times I was always there for her and I slipped into the darkest place I'd ever been mentally. I made the mistake of trying to tell her through an email that I was thinking about suicide, explaining to her that it was about much more than just a break up. She took this as me just doing this for attention and told me to leave her alone or she would call the police.

Not long after that my car's engine blew and I was not financially prepared to get a new one. I've been without a car and the girl I love for about 6 months now and I feel completely worthless. I have no friends and no one to talk to about the way my mental state has deteriorated. The only person who I feel could help me is her and she just ignores me. I basically sit here alone in my room all day now thinking about where my life could have been headed in comparison to where it is now. This is really affecting my life at work too, people have started to notice that I am depressed, something I have always been very good at hiding. When I'm in public I put on this mask of being a funny guy who likes to joke around with everyone but that mask is cracking and people are seeing through it. I'm sure my boss notices this and now I'm being passed over for every promotion that comes up. I'm in a pretty hopeless place and while I realize many people have it worse than me...I am not them. I am the one living my life and I feel stuck. I don't even have the energy or motivation to get out of bed anymore unless I have to go to work. I genuinely don't know what to do anymore. I guess I'm just looking for advice because it seems like everyone I try to talk to in "the real world" about it just ignores me or dismisses this as just being heart broken.
    some of the things you are writing are concerning because they are quite common among people who suffer from depression. i agree that your relationship ending has made things worse for you but there was definitely a problem before that

i really think you should start by talking to your local doctor; for anything health-related they are your first point of contact and mental health issues are no different. in my opinion, taking medication to help manage depression and talking to a professional on a regular basis (eg. psychologist) will provide the best chances of recovery. your doctor (or any doctor) will be able to get you started on both of those things. if you really have been dealing with and managing your depression by yourself for so many years, i think it's time to ask for some help, as difficult as it may be for you

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had depression for many years now and you will find your own way to deal with it. I've learned what makes mine more severe (to the point where suicidal thoughts are present) and how to reduce the grip it has. For me, I don't have anyone to talk to about it. I'm a full time carer for someone with worse mental health issues that has ended up a hollow shell of a person from EST and massive amounts of meds, so my only company isn't someone I can talk to.

I've learned that sleep deprivation is the trigger for major slippage in my mood, as well as sleeping and waking at the 'wrong' times going by my bodyclock. I'm often pretty productive and feeling almost as normal as I remember feeling before my depression hit me when I'm waking up at a decent time and getting a solid amount of sleep. The issue for me is that my depression is also accompanied by severe anxiety, and when I get depressed I also get anxious, which stops me from sleeping, which makes my depression worse.....and so on.

It sounds like you are reacting to a sudden change in your life that isn't a change for the better. If you give it time then you will learn to adapt to this change and things will get back to normal for you. If you have nobody to talk to on a personal level, like a friend of family member, then you can get free counselling. It does help you understand things better.

You will also learn to understand yourself better too, but you just need to have some faith in yourself and give it time to happen. I'm confident that many people who don't suffer from depression will feel down after going through a realtionship break-up, so you can take some comfort in the knowledge that your reaction is normal. If you've been dealing with depression for a while then you will find a way to deal with this too, then you will just deal with things as you've always dealt with them, then you can see what else life has in store for you later on down the line.

You will get very little help here or on any random board when it comes to dealing with depression. Depression is one of those things that you really have to live through to understand, and it's very hard to describe what it's like and impossible to impart the experience onto others by compariing it with something else. Those who don't understand it at all will likely tell you that it's just something you can decide to not have or dismiss it as something minor.

You can attempt to persuade those who are questioning how you feel, but if you are depressed then you won't be able to, and if you aren't then you won't need to, and if you are suffering from depression then you don't need to explain it for others who are also suffering from depression. Either way, it's a waste of time to explain it.

If you can, get a pedal bike, ask in a doctors for contact details for some free councelling, then maybe see a doctor about getting the condition medicated while you deal with the break-up, if you feel you need to. You'll have some transportation and a short-term goal.

My goals aren't as awesome for today! In 1 hour I'm going to go in to my voluntary job with 4 hours of sleep and a massive headache whilst fighting off anxiety and depression caused by the exaustion. I will then finish work and likely come home to a house that reeks of faeces because the person I care for cannot control their bowels, so I'll clean that up, go up the shop, cook some tea, then just sit in my house and get yelled at in LFR for an hour because I'm tanking. After that I'll probably collapse from exaustion and wake up every 2 hours because my anxiety stops me from sleeping. I'll do this alone and hope that tomorrow my anxiety drops off and I can finally sleep, then that fixes so much. After a while I'll not be able to sleep again and the cycle continues.

And that is my life! You'll find a way to deal with your problems, just as I and many others have who struggle with depression. You just need to give it time and take a few steps yourself towards getting help to deal with it. If your depression is focused on a single instance in your life where things went badly then it's actually pretty good. You have a clear definition of the cause, which is the major component in dealing with it.
    Last edited by Theodon; 2013-11-18 at 08:11 AM.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't you get along with anyone at your work? Maybe talk to them a little? What about family?

I can't say I'm personally in an amazing place, I don't have much motivation to do much, and have little to no social life, usually spending all of my time besides short visits to Uni in front of my PC and often feeling ill under some/any pressure. Still, it could be much worse, my Family keeps me going, and I have recently made a couple of friends in WoW, which cheers me up a reasonable amount. I do bottle things up, but a couple of years ago I was advise to release it to random people I kind of new. Seemed to work, even if I probably scared that person

Essentially the Forum Users of MMO-Champion can only really share their own experiences and give general advice. Seek advice from a Psychologist or Psychiatrist. Talk to people at Work maybe?
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

Sigh. Alright buddy, I'll share this with you:

I suffer from depression. It runs in my family. Half the time I can't help how I feel with certain matters. It just randomly happens.

I know how to deal with it, sure, but obviously this guy does not. That does NOT give you the right to shit on him purely because he feels like this.

This is coming from a 20 year old. Oh, I'm sorry, we weren't part of your age, and since our generation is so looked down upon by you, anything we say nor deem must be stupid or wrong, right?

Everyone copes in their own manner. Everyone gets help in their own manner.

By the way: http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/ne...nges-over-time

Read that. Thanks.

This world would be a much better place if ignorance and judgment didn't exist. Christ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Deleted
    When I read your text, I'm not really convinced that you're suffering from a real depression. You're thoughts tend to circulate around that "one special" girl you lost. A depression doesn't typically focus on your own worthlessness but on the meaninglessness of the entire life and your allegedly senselss actions. English is not my main language so it is hard to express the difference between being focused on a kind of self-pitiness and a real f**ked-up state of mind which drives you to complete negative passivity and blank nihilism.

This is the wrong place to describe your problems. You may be just heartbroken, maybe you show signs of a depression.
    Go to a doctor, then to a therapist.

If they can't help you, it's nothing physical wrong with you (speaking of neurological illnesses).

Everybody has to deal with these kind of feelings. Some more often.

Deleted
    Seconding what others are saying about seeing a doctor, therapist or some sort of professional.

Depression is a serious, life affecting problem. It is a medical condition that can be caused by chemical inbalances. It's not your fault - the doctor is not going to judge you, s/he's going to see you have a genuine medical problem and they're going to work with you to see if they can work out why, and what they can do to address it. If it's not that, then they can recommend a therapist who can help you work through things.

If you broke your leg, you wouldn't just leave it and say, well, I can hop around on my own for a bit and still manage just about to cope with life - you'd go to a doctor and get it looked at. Mental health is often something people just say well I can cope with it and leave it - when there is genuine help that they can get.

If you're scared / worried about talking to a professional about personal stuff, then write down everything in a letter to take with you or send it in advance (often easier than opening up to a stranger in person for the first time even if they are a doctor), and they'll know what questions to ask from there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seek a doctor. That's what I did, and my life is on track again. Lost good 8 years to depression, but oh well. It's a sickness of the mind that can, and should be treated should the doctor deem it bad enough.
    Last edited by Santti; 2013-11-18 at 08:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post

I suffer from depression. It runs in my family. Half the time I can't help how I feel with certain matters. It just randomly happens.

I know how to deal with it, sure, but obviously this guy does not. That does NOT give you the right to shit on him purely because he feels like this.

This is coming from a 20 year old. Oh, I'm sorry, we weren't part of your age, and since our generation is so looked down upon by you, anything we say nor deem must be stupid or wrong, right?

Read that. Thanks.

This world would be a much better place if ignorance and judgment didn't exist. Christ.
    Runs in my family to bro. Mom has it and she's living a happy life. I haven't felt clinical depression but I believe...2-3 years ago I was depressed up the ass. Immersing myself in WoW was the only thing to do. Still not totally happy but yeah...

Stuff happens.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    If you're depressed because you've got actual chemical imbalances in your brain, then that's something a doctor should diagnose so that you get on medication.

However, there's also the fact that life is shit, and being depressed because depressing shit is happening to you is completely normal. If shit keeps happening to you, you wouldn't be healthy if you were all smiley and happy all the time.

For example, I've had a parent die, another - who I've estranged from - suffering from Alzheimer's for a decade, estranged siblings, dead friends, a single person I've fallen in love with whom I could never be with, bullied in an out of school for my entire childhood, no direction in life for a long while, alcohol, partying... The realization that the Universe is such an unimaginably magnificent place existing on timescales we can't even fathom, and that our lives - even the best of them - are a complete and utter joke, an ant's fart of existing for a microscopically small while, then not existing at all. Try to be fucking happy living with that knowledge.

You're allowed to be depressed if depressing shit happens to you. It's perfectly normal. It's all about whether you can find something to do while waiting to stop existing.

Deleted
    Dude, close this topic right the FUCK now and get some professional help or you WILL deteriorate even further! This forum is filled with trolls, children (who know nothing about real life) and spiteful cunts.

Get professional help. They can help, and medication can and will turn your life around, its that simple. You are not the first nor the only one who has gone through this even though you might think you are.

Good luck.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drblight View Post
    I had a nervous breakdown following a prolonged period of intense stress recently. I started suffering from severe anxiety and depression, and it got so bad that I, for an entire week, was confined to my bed, where I spent most of my time crying, being generally terrified, and just wanting it all to end. It go so bad that I tried getting myself enrolled as a patient in a psychiatric ward, but of course they saw through my symptoms, and I was denied entry.
    Two long days later I met up with a professional psychiatrist who diagnosed me in a matter of seconds, wrote out a prescription and there we go. I started taking the medication the next morning, and since then, for last 4-5 weeks I've been absolutely fine.

There is no such thing as a mild depression. If you have been able to handle it for years and years without it significantly reducing your quality of life - I'm sorry, you may be in a foul mood most of the time, but it's hardly a depression. Depression is a term that's misused even more than terms like 'gay' and so on.

If you believe you are suffering from actual depression, know that it is a clinical disease of the mind that can be diagnosed and treated just like a flu. I would strongly advice you to get in touch with a psychiatrist or psychologist and try to figure out what it is that's causing you to suffer in the way you seem to think you are. If they believe something is wrong they will give you the treatment that you need, and you will start feeling better and be able to get on with your life.

Now, I know this is not the post that you want to read at all, I know that you might be partial to protest and tell me how wrong I am, and that I have no justification at all to explain to you how you feel, but there are several things in the post you wrote that points towards you not being depressed, but that something else is wrong.
    You say that you 'Put on the mask of being a funny guy' - Now, I like to think of myself as a genuinely funny guy in real life, although I might seem like a bitch right now. If you are capable of doing this, you are not suffering from a depression, however I believe that what is making you sad and uncomfortable in your everyday life is that you're not being yourself. I think you're afraid to be honest with people around you, you're afraid of admitting to how you feel, and you fear that others will look down on you if you tell them how you really feel. I think that you are putting yourself under and unnecessary amount of pressure because you think you can only be honest with yourself, and not the world around you.

I think you need to confront these skeletons in your closet, and get rid of them at long last.

My advice;

1; Seek professional help. If they cannot help you, know that nothing is horribly wrong with you. They won't say that you're okay if you're not okay, that's not how they work.

2; Confront yourself, and people around you, tell them how you feel, or just find someone that you trust to begin with. I strongly believe that the root of your problems are not based on a depression, but on you in general. I think you're putting yourself in a negative light, and it's this pressure inside that's making you feel horrible.

Take it or leave it.
    Treated like the flu? Wtf, those were probably even sugar pills you got.

You were definitely not in a depression there and I doubt you've ever been in one, otherwise you'd know how utterly super shit it feels.
    When you're given medication while you're in depression, it's always to help you get back on your feet to get out of it, but only you can do it. The pills are only a tool of helping you get to it.

I really wish it was as easy as eating the sugar pills you got, but it unfortunately isn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddy029 View Post
    I had the girl I love leave me for another guy. How did I get over it the pain and depression I felt? I made sure I was not in any attempt to get her back when I was talking with her, however I knew how things would go during this talk that I had with her. At the end of our talk I started making out with her (she was still with this other guy) what she didn't know was I recorded the whole thing and then sent it to the other guy. The next day she told me she tried to kill herself after what I did. Finally, after 2 months of agony the power had shifted and I felt like a million bucks.

Do something similar, bet it makes you feel better knowing that she feels the way you feel now.
    Some people feel only sadness or emptiness. Some people like you feel anger instead. People are different and if you're in a depression, you often feel very empty, not a need to express your anger.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, I would recommend professional help to be honest, we can try here, but we're just randoms and you could also get unhelpful replies. I would say though find something to focus on, for instance going to the gym. Set a goal like get a 6 pack in X months, be able to run a half marathon in X time. Working out will release natural endorphins (spelling?) which make you feel better, give it a shot. And then you can make a program so every day you HAVE to get out of bed to get to the gym by 7am or something. Or you could but a cook book and work through it, make everything, or make your own version of it. Idk, I'm just coming up with random ideas. But what I do think is that finding something to focus on could help.

From the sounds of it your GF wasn't that nice. I recognise that you love her and enjoyed your time with her but maybe you weren't meant to be? That's not to say the time together was a waste, it was an experience. You're better off now, you enjoyed that time right? So you have so many years of happiness and now you have knowledge that she wasn't the 'one', I see a win-win.

I'm not sure what else to say, but feel free to PM, I'll help if I can : )

Quote Originally Posted by Phildozer View Post
    I've been suffering from crippling depression for the past 5 or 6 years and it's always been something I thought I could manage on my own.

That all changed a few months ago when my girlfriend of 2 years who I genuinely loved and wanted to spend the rest of my life with left me because I am depressed. I had our engagement ring halfway paid off and before this happened I was starting to feel like I finally had something to live for.
    First mistake is thinking you can handle it on your own.

Second mistake is making your well being depending on some other person.

Third : Get some proper help, all you will get here is some attention. Not in a good way.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Seek help TODAY. It's not easy, but you have to decide to do it now. I thought I could handle the stress and exhaustion and that it would all go away after I had my Christmas vacation. In the end, I was sent to a doctor by a co-worker and ended up in a hospital for a month. While there, my boyfriend left me as he was too tired to take care of me anymore. I was heartbroken and had to move back to my parents as at that point I could no longer take care of myself. But seeking help was the best thing I've ever done. While my depression is far from gone, I have things to fight for now and the medication does help. I have met the love of my life, I have my dear pets and the support of my friends and family. When I'm worse and my boyfriend is getting tired, I can ask my mother to help me do the dishes or my grandma to take me grocery shopping. It shows that no matter how difficult it is, I still try to so my share.

Then some tips:
    Go out everyday. No matter how hard it is, you should leave the house daily; it doesn't have to be anything big, just walking around the block or to the store. Going out forces you to leave the bed and put some clothes on; it gets your day going.
    Eat. Just like lack of sleep, hunger and malnutrition make it so much worse.
    Don't be too proud; if someone offers you help, take it. You're going to need it.
    Don't lose touch with your friends; contacting them and being social is extremely hard, but it makes you feel so much better to have someone to talk to.

See a doctor.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

find a therapist will probably help.
    meditation is a great way to get rid of depression and anxiety

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post

Read that. Thanks.

I am not saying depression isn´t a horrible thing... It just seems every teen who has to start dealing with the real world and isn´t 100% happys must be depressed. Just like all energetic boys are diagnosed with ADD, ADHD etc these days. The entire OP reeks of EMO. Crippling depression for 5-6 years, untreated? Yeah right. The OP doesn´t know what a crippling depression is. Sorry if I don´t think drugging every teen who is a bit down is the right solution. Lot´s of them just need to get of their ass and suck it up.

Deleted
    Se a professional

Here`s some things that helped me out when i was felling down. Get a job ASAP , gets your mind off things, not to mention you meet ppl . Second go to the gym and start working out , it`s a great way to make friends and maybe meet some girls and not to mention that looking better will increase your self confidence and self estime. Wish you al the best man!