Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Depression is an illness. See treatment for it like you would any other chronic condition, from a trained professional.
    Let Reason Prevail

Don't come here looking for attention, sympathy or validation. Do that on Reddit.

Don't read my post, don't read anyone else's in the thread. We can't help you.

Contact any one of several free counselling services or initiatives in whatever country you are in.

My first and most important advice is to visit a psychologist that is operating near where you live.

I may be able to help you just a little bit, having a major in psychology. I'd like you to answer those questions: Please excuse the straightfowardness: we are not capable of being alone and having a private discussion between us, and you being here and saying that you do not have anyone to talk about make me go over my boundaries as a semi-professional man.

1) How/when/from what did your current state which you name depression stemed from?

2) Besides you mentioning how long it's been, I need you to re-think about it and tell me again, almost exactly how long it has been. This can be answered in conjuction with the 1st question.

3) Are you honestly feeling suicidal? Do you consider your condition being in that stage?

From what you are describing in your post, I can tell that there are some issues (apart from the obvious ones) that need to be given care and work. My first and most important advice is again to visit a psychologist that is operating near where you live. If you are broke or can't for any reason visit one, feel free to inbox me for a short or long talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    I am not saying depression isn´t a horrible thing... It just seems every teen who has to start dealing with the real world and isn´t 100% happys must be depressed. Just like all energetic boys are diagnosed with ADD, ADHD etc these days. The entire OP reeks of EMO. Crippling depression for 5-6 years, untreated? Yeah right. The OP doesn´t know what a crippling depression is. Sorry if I don´t think drugging every teen who is a bit down is the right solution. Lot´s of them just need to get of their ass and suck it up.
    My depression was left untreated for 5 years, it was only when I dared to speak to my parents about it that I finally began getting help.

So I think you're the one who doesn't know what he's talking about.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    My depression was left untreated for 5 years, it was only when I dared to speak to my parents about it that I finally began getting help.

If you have
    crippling depression
    People around you will immediately know something is wrong.. Stop making everything a depression. It´s really a kick in the face of the truely depressed.

If you have People around you will immediately know something is wrong.. Stop making everything a depression. It´s really a kick in the face of the truely depressed.
    That's not always the case. Let's stop with the armchair-psychologist humbug and advise the OP talk to a an actual doctor.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Stop being so EMO and seeing yourself as a victim would be a good start. Being EMO and waking up to the real world is not a depression. jeez, I swear 90% of youth today are apparently "depressed"
    I agree with this, apparently everybody is depressed nowadays, odds are you are just having a shitty couple of weeks / months as everyone does at some point

Go and speak to a doctor and see what they say
    Last edited by mmocd3c303b7a4; 2013-11-18 at 01:30 PM.

There are a lot of ways you can trick yourself out of depression. That being said, it is a chemical imbalance in the brain, and there are a lot of medications you can take. But some easy things to do:

1. Exercise. Anything you can do, be it walking or working out or whatever. Get yourself moving around. There's this vicious cycle that occurs when you don't do physical activities. You get a bit depressed, so you lose energy and work out even less. Now you benefit even less or at all from exercise, feeling worse, etc.
    2. Be mindful of your thoughts. Generally, depressed people have a lot of negative thoughts that keep you down. "I'm not good enough" or "I suck" or "Noone likes me" etc. You need to train yourself to listen to those thoughts and stop and question them. Everyone has something to live for, if it's nothing more than getting rid of the depression. You know what it feels like to not be depressed, so that's a goal you can strive for.
    3. Force yourself to smile. There's a ton of studies out there (google time) that show that your mind takes queues from your body and vice versa. You can break a cycle by stepping in and forcing yourself to do things a non-depressed person would do. You basically fake it and your mind will think you're happy. It sounds stupid, but it really works.

These are some of the basic tenants of cognitive/behavioral therapy. I have a BA in Psychology (impressive I know) and did about 6 months of research on C/B therapy. It really does work. We don't know 100% why it works, but we know that your body takes queues from your mind and your mind takes queues from your body. If you get up, do things and smile, your mind will fight the depression.

That being said, seek professional help. I don't think you should just do what random internet people say if you have the means to get more help. You can research all the advice I've given you here and can confirm it's solid. Unfortunately this cycle is not always an easy one to break, especially if you only have these techniques and no medication to help. As has been mentioned, it really is a disease, so fighting it without medical help can be arduous.
    Last edited by Varabently; 2013-11-18 at 01:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    Try to find a hobby, something you like. Sporting mostly works. I was kinda depressed when my girlfriend broke up with me. I started to go to the gym and now I'm at a rowing association have the time of my life. Just try to find new things, don't get stuck in your current life.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    But seriously. I smell a rat here. You've been having a blast in WoW judging by your posts from the past few months. Your posts don't reflect a "crippling depression" or huge life changes such as being dumped, at all.
    Maybe you should try listening to some Eagles. Some dance to remember, some dance to forget.

Just because someone enjoys the time they spend playing a game doesn't mean they don't wish they'd just spontaneously combust or get hit by a car and instantly die or something.

I played World of Warcraft for quite a few years and enjoyed most of the time I spent playing it. I don't anymore because my GM turned into a whiny big baby bitch and our tanks couldn't tank and that sucked all of the fun out of the game for me, but that's beside the point. I used to wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and wish that I could just reach into the mirror and strangle myself. I'd have fantasies about getting in a time traveling machine and brutalizing a younger version of myself because I hated myself so much.

And to be honest, that's just the tip of the iceberg.

in world of warcraft i was a powerful and bloodthirsty warrior

in real life i was a stupid uneducated fatass dumbfuck who lodged their head so far up their ass that it was too much work to pull it back out.

Just saying.

10+ Year Old Account

You seem to be laboring under the illusion that depression is a clinical illness.
    It's not. It's the fact that people can't learn what they want to do. It's honestly simple as that.

As to the OP:
    You're not depressed. You just haven't found a way to live your life.

I dare each and every single one of you to watch this video and tell me you've actually lived.

"You've got to figure out what you're here to do. And once you figure that out the only thing you can do is do it."

So what are you here to do? Cry yourself to sleep every night or go base jumping?

Also: this video:

Last edited by vep; 2013-11-18 at 02:18 PM.
    And even though it's reached new heights, I rather like the restless nights. It makes me wonder, makes me think there's more to this, I'm on the brink. It's not the fear of what's beyond, it's just that I might not respond! I have an interest, almost craving, would I like to get to far in?!

I could give a page of advice but you're in a dangerous place and I'm not risking something lost in translation.

Only safe poke I see is your value of self worth coming from everything except the one place that matters. Kinda like that saying "If you cant love yourself, how can you ever expect to love another. It's all fake to you."

Many might disagree we me but recreational use of drugs will help.

Get yourself a good dose of prescription amphetamines (adderall) or something. A nice roll off some MDMA will put your mind in the right spot for a while. Hell, even prescription opiate painkillers could do the trick.

Some might say "oh do you know what that'll do to your body?!?!". My response: Sure beats depression. Why not trade in your depression for some of the most intense feelings of euphoria this world has to offer?

Good prescription amphetamines like Adderall might be the best choice though IMO. The comedowns can feel like shit but it's fucking worth it dude. It can feel like a caffeine crash times 100 and the worst part is it's hard to sleep it off so sometimes you just gotta re-dose until you finally feel like sleeping during a comedown. Or you could just pop some downers during the comedown and crash.
    Last edited by Orcindauh; 2013-11-18 at 02:43 PM.

Go outside.

Seriously. Workout endorphins + Vitamin D do wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    You seem to be laboring under the illusion that depression is a clinical illness.
    It's not. It's the fact that people can't learn what they want to do. It's honestly simple as that.
    It's not that simple in reality, otherwise we wouldn't have depression. And the claim that depression is not a clinical illness is bullshit.

Deleted
    Go see a psychiatrist and go to therapy. Maybe you need some medicinde, too. I've suffered from bipolar disorder since I was 13 years old, 3 months ago I first got any help and it is really life changing. I can concentrate better, my depressions and aggressions are gone and my relationship flourishes like never before. It's no weakness to go to a doctor because of a psychological desease, some people just need some help to get by.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not that simple in reality, otherwise we wouldn't have depression. And the claim that depression is not a clinical illness is bullshit.
    But it really is that simple.
    The thing is that we're being forced into living a life of conformity. And there are many people who are not made for it. And they keep living their life, bowing down to other people who have the courage to chase their dreams.
    If we were living a life where we were brought up to outdoor adventures, sports or different kinds of hobbies from an early age, I guarantee we would be living in a much better (or at least very different) world that it is now.

Now, don't get me wrong, I do think clinical depression is a thing. But I think it's overhyped along with ADHD...
    And even though it's reached new heights, I rather like the restless nights. It makes me wonder, makes me think there's more to this, I'm on the brink. It's not the fear of what's beyond, it's just that I might not respond! I have an interest, almost craving, would I like to get to far in?!

Deleted
    “Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.”

― Steven Winterburn

If you have People around you will immediately know something is wrong.. Stop making everything a depression. It´s really a kick in the face of the truely depressed.
    I think that's entirely wrong. People will tend to notice fake depression, or fleeting ones. Depressed cuz you can't buy the Wii? People will notice that, and will laugh at you. When it's crippling soul numbing depression, mostly everyone around you tend to miss it. Cuz depending on how your life is, you might try your best to hide that depression.

- - - Updated - - -

That's one cause/symptom of depression, doesn't in any way define it.
    Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

10+ Year Old Account
    But it really is that simple.
    The thing is that we're being forced into living a life of conformity. And there are many people who are not made for it. And they keep living their life, bowing down to other people who have the courage to chase their dreams.
    If we were living a life where we were brought up to outdoor adventures, sports or different kinds of hobbies from an early age, I guarantee we would be living in a much better (or at least very different) world that it is now.

Now, don't get me wrong, I do think clinical depression is a thing. But I think it's overhyped along with ADHD...
    You haven't said a sensible thing yet. What is simple is your personal opinion on what depression is. It's wrong. I know it's wrong because I've both cared for someone with clinical depression and suffered from depression myself for over two decades. I've read mountains of research on depression because it's a key element of my life, and just about everything I've read makes everything you've said seem childishly ignorant.

I'd provide you with research on what depression is and how difficult it can be to deal with, but I seriously doubt you actually want to understand the subject. There's one of you in every thread on this subject and this is why speaking about it on forums is a waste of everyones time. This thread should really be locked because it can only either devolve in to a flamewar or provide the OP with the wrong advice. Nobody here but a professional can give him the help he will need to deal with it, and people have suggested that already.
    Last edited by Theodon; 2013-11-18 at 05:13 PM.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!