Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Do you think no flying will be WoD's anti-casual feature?

You know, the one that backfires so badly Blizz is afraid to ever try it again.

Like dailies in MoP, or hard 5-mans in Cata.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBadass View Post

Casuals love this shit, the hell are you talking about? They love dailies, and questing and all that stuff. They like EASY. Pet battles and all that stuff. The raiders are probably the most annoyed group. Going to be fun running around to everywhere they need to go. Not surprising though that Blizz is doing this shit, it's artificially extending content. It sounds like they're going to continue doing this shit all through WoD. Enjoy spending twice the money to do the same thing since the stuff raiders like to do won't open up for 3 weeks or more.

Don't know, not even going to speculate beyond saying I think the zones like molten front and isle of thunder were testing grounds of single small zones for no flying and they have no clue what the reaction will be to being limited to flight paths as the main method of travel across a continent.

Flight paths and their meandering routes has been a major complaint since I started playing back in 05.

Draenor is supposed to be bigger than outland, and if on the way from point a to point b I have to go out of my way to pass points c, d, e, f, and g it's going to be pretty frustrating.

Casuals don't need fast progression, they just want to play in their own time. And let me tell you, leveling is a perfect casual experience!

This feature is going to be removed during beta. Just watch.

Yeah, hardcore raiders never use flying mounts.

I imagine that the complaints will come, the subs will drop, the pre-orders will be low. And after a month or two Blizzard will realize what a huge mistake they've made, and the boycotting will finally have paid off and they'll return flying right in time for 6.1 to release and the boycotters will finally know that they have won the war on delayed flight.

Boycotting works, and I support it.

Dailies weren't casual content?

This game has been aimed very much at casual players from 4.3 onwards. A temporary state of no flight is barely a blip on the radar.

world of warcraft

anti-casual

lol

omfg blizz tuk r flyeing away 4 1 month VIVE LA REVOLUTION

HOW DARE YOU MAKE US EXPERIENCE THE CONTENT YOU WORKED SO HARD TO CREATE

I imagine that the complaints will come, the subs will drop, the pre-orders will be low. And after a month or two Blizzard will realize what a huge mistake they've made
    if that made any sense everyone would have quit mists of lookingforderps and pet battles by now

Deleted
    If anything this is the anti hardcore feature because they are the ones rushing to max level, farming mats for professions and getting everything they need in time for raid start. Not be able to fly is hindering them the most.

Yes. Anytime you take away a quality of life convenience casuals are not going to be happy. People are used to getting flying at max level now. Taking that away, even for a few months, is going to anger quite a few customers.

I think there will be a ton of anti-flying people now who turn out to love the no-flying feature when they realise how much better off the game is without it. (Despite being dragged kicking and screaming up to the expansion)

I tend to agree with blizzard's post about how it creates the ability for people to experience only what they want to, instead of everything they want the game to be. Swoop in, open gate, swoop out - sort of method would make the game very stale

10+ Year Old Account
    yup, i think this is the biggest failed feature. it will impact many players for a multitude of reasons. i hope it gets removed during beta. or at the very least changed drastically.

Blizzard wants the players to not be able to "swoop down, kill one mob, and swoop away". this is FINE pre level 100. but to squelch those that level quickly and begin the daily tasks of preparing for whatever they find most enjoyable.. will ultimately cause more problems, since these daily tasks rarely involve killing mobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Deleted
    I don't think this ''feature'' will even make it to live but if it does yes it most likely will backfire hard.
    Last edited by mmoc1448edff70; 2013-11-18 at 06:02 PM.

If anything else it is better for casual players. Nothing is worse than still leveling a week after the expansion and having all the people who rushed to cap fly around purposely trying to ruin the experience for everyone else who didn't rush to lvl cap. I would say this is a better system for them because it gives them plenty of time to level up, unless the other alternative would be doing it like Cata again.

Deleted
    No, I remeber when all this was ground mounts.

People don't even use the word casually correctly any more.

Casual does not mean = I wanted everything handed to me on a plate.

Casual = Plays the game for a few hours a week, does not raid progressively/aim for gladiator etc.

However, no, removing flying is because they want the world to be more dangerous, stop you skipping over things, appreciate your surroundings.

No flying does no make the game harder or require any more time, it shaves minutes off a day, they are adding more flight paths anyway, so zero effect on casual players.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    yup, i think this is the biggest failed feature. it will impact many players for a multitude of reasons. i hope it gets removed during beta. or at the very least changed drastically.

Blizzard wants the players to not be able to "swoop down, kill one mob, and swoop away". this is FINE pre level 100. but to squelch those that level quickly and begin the daily tasks of preparing for whatever they find most enjoyable.. will ultimately cause more problems, since these daily tasks rarely involve killing mobs.
    The change came with MOP. Blizzard went out and recruited a lot of casuals that never knew life in WOW without flying. Rebuilding WOW for CATA to have flying was touted as one of the largest revamps in WOW and maybe any game. It was huge.

To play around with flying now is going to bring a lot of negative feelings to their new players. I really can't imagine how a developer team meeting came off with this passing muster.

Developer 1 "Hey guys, me and a few of the others were thinking, this flying thing sucks. It allows the millions of people that have built a stable of flying mounts, paid 10's of thousands of gold, bought Blizz store mounts and done numerous quests/raids to obtain mounts too easy of a time to quest, harrass other players, etc....Plus....developing content that incorporates flying is too 2014...VIVA 2007!"

Developer 2 "Hurry up and get this hard coded in before the old fuddy-duddy marketing dudes show up and take away our crack pipes"

I'm an old fuddy-duddy marketing dude and this is how half of our companies bad ideas get implemented..while I'm on vacation. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    This one small sentence shows you're very wrong. Casuals don't want everything to be easy. They just want to have meaningful content that isn't raiding. It should also be fairly challenging and not completed in a couple of days. As a casual myself, I'd love a good challenge that isn't tied directly in to raiding. If I wanted to raid, I wouldn't have stopped out of boredom.
    And this is where you're wrong because numbers don't lie. Blizz tried to make casual content harder (5man heroics) and they just bled away subs in early Cata. The forums were overflowing with QQ by casuals who wanted their easy faceroll heroics back. To them, easy is quicker because they don't know what they're doing and can't be assed to put any effort into the game. I don't really think no flying is a lowest common denominator thing like them nerfing heroics into the ground was but this is definitely made for casuals who love running around leveling and nothing more. To me it's just a way to suck more money from people by slowing their progression down since Blizz can't bother to actually make new and interesting features and instead just take and repackage stuff from other games that are free.
    Last edited by therayeffect; 2013-11-18 at 06:12 PM.