Page 1 of 5
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    World of Warcraft: Best Game Ever

    So, it occurs to me after 7 years of playing and 4 years of forum viewing on the official site, this has to be the greatest game of all time. If people love it, they talk about it. If they hate it, they talk about it (probably in the hopes of fixing whatever they hate). Even players who don't even play anymore will still stop by and offer their opinion and claim they don't really care.

    I think people do care. I think the millions of players this game has seen, past or current, cannot stay away from it. They are enthralled by the game, the memories it holds, and the surprises just around the corner. Someone did a poll recently asking who was buying the next expac and the response was overwhelming. The next expansion is 6-10 months away from release and yet it has its own General Discussion thread on this very site.

    People can act big and bad all they like, and complain til they are blue in the face, but the truth is, this is still their favorite MMO of all time. I won't deny it is mine. Have been with WoW since Jan 19, 2007. I plan to stick around til the servers shut down. I am not a hardcore raider, so my view is likely skewed by the fact that I just play the game. It is not a full time thing for me. But I log in each day, play how I want to play, hang out with friends, and call it a day after a few hours.

    I can safely say, in my own personal opinion on this subject, without any broad stroke generalizations, or trying to speak for anyone but myself, this is the greatest MMO of all time. I've tried the rest and keep coming back to WoW. It is unlike any other MMO on the planet.

  2. #2
    Immortal Destil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kanda's House
    Posts
    7,707
    inb4 people who dislike the game currently say "it WAS the best game".
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Transorcers, Warlords in disguise.
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

  3. #3
    Mechagnome Dragore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    673
    Well opinions are subjective of course. In a matter of claiming to be the worlds best you need to have statistics and facts to make that. But in my opinion WoW is the best MMO I have played, totally agree OP on that.

    As far as longevity goes it doesn't compete yet to specific titles include Mario Brothers, Madden, and other console games that have been around for a lot longer.

  4. #4
    Well.. I am starting to think that the terms of agreement that i didn't read a while ago when i first installed this game, there is something like "sell your soul to us", and i just accepted... DAMN YOU BLIZZARD!!!!

  5. #5
    I don't think anyone argues about that.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    So, it occurs to me after 7 years of playing and 4 years of forum viewing on the official site, this has to be the greatest game of all time. If people love it, they talk about it. If they hate it, they talk about it (probably in the hopes of fixing whatever they hate). Even players who don't even play anymore will still stop by and offer their opinion and claim they don't really care.

    I think people do care. I think the millions of players this game has seen, past or current, cannot stay away from it. They are enthralled by the game, the memories it holds, and the surprises just around the corner. Someone did a poll recently asking who was buying the next expac and the response was overwhelming. The next expansion is 6-10 months away from release and yet it has its own General Discussion thread on this very site.

    People can act big and bad all they like, and complain til they are blue in the face, but the truth is, this is still their favorite MMO of all time. I won't deny it is mine. Have been with WoW since Jan 19, 2007. I plan to stick around til the servers shut down. I am not a hardcore raider, so my view is likely skewed by the fact that I just play the game. It is not a full time thing for me. But I log in each day, play how I want to play, hang out with friends, and call it a day after a few hours.

    I can safely say, in my own personal opinion on this subject, without any broad stroke generalizations, or trying to speak for anyone but myself, this is the greatest MMO of all time. I've tried the rest and keep coming back to WoW. It is unlike any other MMO on the planet.
    Agreed. I've wasted enough money trying out other MMO's and even trying to go back to consoles to realize finally that other games just don't compare for me any longer. I'll play WoW until it dies, or until Blizzard replaces it (or in the very small off chance that some other MMO finally gets it right, because so far they're all just gimmicks).

  7. #7
    Scarab Lord Grubjuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Spook central
    Posts
    4,106
    i dunno, LoZ: Ocarina of Time was pretty frickin' good.
    but it was not an MMO, so...
    .


    When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

  8. #8
    Vanilla + TBC I would argue that yes this could be greatest game of all times. BUT only in terms fun values. There many way better games in terms of story, depth, artistic values etc. But in terms of pure fun. WoW takes the cake for me.

    It just like with movies. There are classics like God Father, The Big Blue, Deer Hunter which are considered one of the best movies of all times. And you can't argue that. But there are also movies you can watch 1000x times and always have fun like Star Wars, Indiana Jones etc. And that's what WoW is for me, Indiana Jones of games.
    Last edited by Mongoose19; 2013-11-18 at 05:47 PM.

  9. #9
    Herald of the Titans RicardoZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    2,598
    I would have no qualms whatsoever about calling World of Warcraft the greatest video game of all time. Bar none, I have never played, enjoyed, or just all-around been into another game as much as I have WoW.

  10. #10
    I think its only because you are familiar with the game and have played it for so long. You have gained an emotional attachment to the characters and game because you spend so much time playing it, therefore you don't want to feel as if your time has been wasted by leaving the game.

    The same thing happens to other people who play other MMOs for as long as you have. People who have played everquest and everquest 2 also feel the same way about their game.

    WoW is a good game, but I dont think its the greatest of all time. Yes thats my opinion, but its just as valid as yours.

  11. #11
    I wonder if any other single game (not franchise) has made as much money as WoW.

  12. #12
    It definitely has the most played time of any game I have ever owned

  13. #13
    You spelled Metal Gear Solid wrong.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

  14. #14
    If it wasn't for the community, WoW would be a terrible game. Playing the game alone is the worst experience ever. Blizzard is just lucky they have an awesome fan base.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    Agreed. I've wasted enough money trying out other MMO's and even trying to go back to consoles to realize finally that other games just don't compare for me any longer. I'll play WoW until it dies, or until Blizzard replaces it (or in the very small off chance that some other MMO finally gets it right, because so far they're all just gimmicks).
    Same here. I no longer buy other games since it ends up being a waste of money.

  16. #16
    Yeah, in my own personal opinion, there's no doubt that WoW is the best game ever made.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what.”
    Stephen Fry

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Phasma View Post
    If it wasn't for the community, WoW would be a terrible game. Playing the game alone is the worst experience ever. Blizzard is just lucky they have an awesome fan base.
    So much this. Look at the websites, the user addons, the community built game clubs "guilds".

    I wouldn't call WOW a terrible game but they do get by with a lot of slackness for the level of resources just because of the incredible momentum a fan base of 5-12 million (depends on timeline) SUBSCRIBING..not just buying a game. That's fan commitment.

  18. #18
    Agree.

    I have been saying this for years. Ever since I realized I have been playing for years and still excited about the future (and even think MoP was the best expansion yet), it was obvious. WoW is not only the best, but the greatest game ever made.
    -Forgon
    @Shadowmoon

  19. #19
    I would entirely agree with the fanbase comment. It's even boring now on low-pop realms. I think there is better overall games out there. I still believe Everquest is the best MMO ever made (for its time) because it sort of "started it all". When the best players (Tigole, Furor) from Everquest had a huge hand in developing World of Warcraft that should say something. I think the Vanilla/BC end-game is what made WoW a great end-game MMO like Everquest was. What a journey we were able to continually have back then, there was always something to do.

    But I dont think its the best VIDEO GAME ever made. I was in much more awe (in 1997) with the one and only:
    Half-life

    Chrono Trigger in a close second unless we are strictly talking PC.
    Last edited by zaneosak; 2013-11-18 at 06:03 PM.

  20. #20
    Well i tend to agree here, but since they said they plan on making this a "Life-Long MMO", i think we'll spend many more years in Azeroth and beyond.
    Originally Posted by Tradewind
    Well yeah, did you see the daughter? 0/10, would not bang.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •