Deleted

Why stop at 10-25?

With the flex scaling why not simply merge all dungeons and raids and have them scale from 5 to 40? Keep the Mythic at 20 and Challenge at 5.

And with the four leveling dungeons imagine your whole guild on the second or third day or the expansion gets together into a 14-man run into the leveling instance with 3 rare drops each boss instead of 1 with mechanics scaling acordingly. Or do an OpenRaid leveling event on WoD launch week with 40-man raids on those instances.
    Last edited by mmoc7e31dcdb97; 2013-11-18 at 06:25 PM. Reason: such grammar, much typos

Deleted
    im thinking Raid Mechanics mainly
    Sure you can scale up the Boss HP, but once you get past a certain point your looking at adding multiple phases, or boss abilities. to combat this the boss enrage timer would need to be longer and this would just make the fights less of a challenge.

A set number of people makes for a better tuned boss.

I was thinking that the new setup should be:

LFR 20 man fixed
    N/H - 15-25 man flex
    Mythic 20 man fixed

Seems a bit more consistent for guilds progressing. *shrug*

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Sure you can scale up the Boss HP, but once you get past a certain point your looking at adding multiple phases, or boss abilities. to combat this the boss enrage timer would need to be longer and this would just make the fights less of a challenge.
    Well the abilities can be tuned for the number of people, say ability X would have a 10% chance to cast per person in the group so its guaranteed at 10 people. Just an example but there's lots of ways to tune it to less or more people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by frag971 View Post
    Well the abilities can be tuned for the number of people, say ability X would have a 10% chance to cast per person in the group so its guaranteed at 10 people. Just an example but there's lots of ways to tune it to less or more people.
    its not just about tuning.
    you get 40 people in a raid, its a logistical nightmare to make sure that people are doing what they are meant to be doing, and not just AFKing and being carried for the raid.

Dont get me wrong I would love to go back to an era of 40 man raiding, being part of a raid of people taking down the the bosses of a raid actually felt like you where in a small army.

Deleted
    From a raid leader and a designer pov that sounds like a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I was thinking that the new setup should be:

LFR 20 man fixed
    N/H - 15-25 man flex
    Mythic 20 man fixed

Seems a bit more consistent for guilds progressing. *shrug*
    It's not a bad idea, problem is that you will probably have even longer LFR queues since you will still need 2 tanks, but fewer DPS.

I do however think that they could push the flex up a bit, maybe to 30, but there will be a point where mechanics are too hard to balance properly.
    My addons:
    Announce Interrupts: Announces in chat when you interrupt a spell.
    Tol Barad Reminder: Reminds you to queue for Tol Barad by printing a message when the battle is approaching.
    EasyLogger: Turns on /combatlog inside raid instances, and off outside.
    Simple class resource bars: Paladin Rogue Shaman Monk Priest

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Boss phases are mostly % based or time based. So that wouldn't make a difference. It's mainly computing.

Majority of high end computers with MoP damage values wouldn't handle 30+ well.

That's why the squish comes, so they can look whether or not 25+ scaling would go well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by frag971 View Post
    With the flex scaling why not simply merge all dungeons and raids and have them scale from 5 to 40?
    As much as I miss 40 man Naxx, I'm just going to laugh and say "lord no."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikashuri View Post
    Boss phases are mostly % based or time based. So that wouldn't make a difference. It's mainly computing.

Majority of high end computers with MoP damage values wouldn't handle 30+ well.

That's why the squish comes, so they can look whether or not 25+ scaling would go well.
    I don't think you know how computing works. There is 0 difference between doing 1*2 and 24943*8428. The speed of computing both is exactly the same, as pretty much for sure all the numbers are represented by 32 bit ints.

Unless you mean that they couldn't scale bosses for 30+ people with current values. That's correct, cos they're reaching 32 bit int limits right now. But that's not speed limitations, it's data size limitations.
    Last edited by mmoce52fbfc425; 2013-11-18 at 06:54 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ralh View Post
    I don't think you know how computing works. There is 0 difference between doing 1*2 and 24943*8428. The speed of computing both is exactly the same, as pretty much for sure all the numbers are represented by 32 bit ints.

Unless you mean that they couldn't scale bosses for 30+ people with current values. That's correct, cos they're reaching 32 bit int limits right now. But that's not speed limitations, it's data size limitations.
    This is why garrosh heals twice in his encounter. Also we're doing the squish so bigger raid sizes should be less of an issue now.