Thread: Why bash Cata?

Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Why bash Cata?

In all threads about new expansion I see lots of pll bashing Cata. Many pll say it was worst expansion ever. I did play since May 2005 and I strongly believe it's second BEST expansion after BC. Why? Everything about Cata was PERFECT. I'll explain now why.

1. Leveling, core of the start = amazing fun because you COULD fly. Wanna not start level in one zone? Choose another. Leveing in Hijal is amazing, I still have a lot of fun lvling there on my alts. Uldum, nice storyline and fun quests. And that quest when you kill 1000 gnomes... PRICELESS . Not only that. They revamped old zones so nicely that it became fun to lvl new toons :P. And they added so many "EPIC FUN" quests. Like Sylvana's one. Or the one in badlands. Without Cata we would still grind old boring quests.
    Now to people who say, flying mounts=no pvp. I had tons, TONS of fun world pvp in Vashj'ir and TB. In fact I killed so many people in world pvp during Cata I didn't kill since vanilla.
    2. Dailies. Never, never felt like something you HAD to do. And esp those in Hijal were amazingly fun, there were even dailies which were easier to do as healer.
    3. Lore. Involving Thrall, one of the main lore characters. Even though I didn't enjoy much doing "Thrall specific quest" on many alts, doing it first time was very inspiring.
    4. Raiding. Actually Cata was first time when I started raiding very seriously. Because content was worth it. Remember emotions when you had to jump to lava on Nefarian hc.
    5. EPICNESS. Yes. It came to unreal level in Cata. Do I need to explain why?
    6. Dungeons. DUNGEONS WERE FUN. You needed some afford to complete stuff and when you finally completed them, you felt so good.

My point is, I see no reason why people hate that expansion.

Because they left that shit to rot. Dragon Soul was trash.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dragon Soul raid.
    Last edited by Dragore; 2013-11-18 at 09:00 PM.

But I won't lie, Tier 11 was some of the best times I've had in raiding.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    i absolutely hated Cata after I hit level cap. As someone who has limited play time, it took too long to do anything. Glad it's gone.

Deleted
    The start was good but the patch content wasn't. :P

Dragon Soul raid and the ZG/ZA dungeons.

Deleted
    I really agree with you on pretty much all them points, I loved cata, especially in FL (HC rag was awesome) but everyone just remembers the horrid part at the end, DS was an absolutely awful and boring raid, with horrible bosses and it made the 'destroyer of worlds' seem pathetic. DS ruined the entire outlook on the expac, rest was uber though!

It started well and got worse as it went on. Between nerfs and bad patches they managed to piss off players of all play styles and ability. Adding RBGs is the one good lasting thing from it.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ashix View Post
    Because the end of it was terrible?
    So, basically, cata was LOST(series) for many players?

Quote Originally Posted by Malderon View Post
    2. Dailies. Never, never felt like something you HAD to do. And esp those in Hijal were amazingly fun, there were even dailies which were easier to do as healer.
    There was nothing to do besides raiding, that was the problem; but I guess jumping around in Orgrimmar and leveling my 7th alt was fun as well.
    4. Raiding. Actually Cata was first time when I started raiding very seriously. Because content was worth it. Remember emotions when you had to jump to lava on Nefarian hc.
    Not really a highlight, you could say this about any expansion. Tier 11 was "worth it" whatever that means, but the rest was lacking.
    You do.
    6. Dungeons. DUNGEONS WERE FUN. You needed some afford to complete stuff and when you finally completed them, you felt so good.
    If you did them in LFD ... you felt like never wanting to do them again without a premade.

Because it was ruined so quickly and Blizzard helped crush its dreams. I swear if we had stayed on track from how 5.0 and 5.1 was the game would be great. But no, CCing the one healer, standing in the lightning prism and interrupting a boss was too much for people who came from Wrath. Raid groups broke down because so called raiders didnt have a difficulty that was officially easier, and suddenly there was a level playing field between raid sizes. 5.1 rolled around and we had more wonderful dungeons, but again stand on chains dont stand on poison was seriously hardcore right?

5.2 had hunter challenge tames and a nice daily hub, but the raid was rushed and nerfed massively later on. Dragonsoul was a horrible joke, LFR evenmoreso, and the HoT heroics were pretty easy, although still miles ahead of Pandaria (thats what normals should be like).

So pretty much the fact that Blizzard finally decided to put the baduals aside for good players of all types to have challenging content, then suddenly they flipped the table, nerfed everything the moment some bad died to a mechanic, and pretty much chased away the players who had wanted the harder stuff, seeing that again Blizzard will nerf things to oblivion to cater to an audience who just wont learn to play.

Also a lot of people didnt read quest texts or play games other than WC3 so they were confused on the whole storyline. Something about quests within a zone being a storyarc bothered people as well, but not a big issue for me.

A lot of people found the final raid, as well as the focus on remaking the old world instead of more late game content, to be very uninteresting.

I would personally list it as the second worse, since so far every expansion has been worse to me than the one prior to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprizzmode View Post
    I really agree with you on pretty much all them points, I loved cata, especially in FL (HC rag was awesome) but everyone just remembers the horrid part at the end, DS was an absolutely awful and boring raid, with horrible bosses and it made the 'destroyer of worlds' seem pathetic. DS ruined the entire outlook on the expac, rest was uber though!
    Heroic Rag was good, but again Blizzard nerfed the other bosses to the ground, and overnight groups went from Baleroc, Shannox and Alysrazor heroic down to all 6 on easy farm.

And that quest when you kill 1000 gnomes... PRICELESS
    That was a tribute to Katamari Damacy. You should try that game some time. Lots of fun, and the best theme song ever:

Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    People need to get over the gear color (and themselves). It doesn't matter, and it shouldn't matter what other players have either. Worry about your damn self. Live your life by that. If you want to concern yourself with someone else, then worry about HELPING them, not putting them down or making sure you stand out as better than them.
    Maybe the game would be better with more low DPS nice guys and fewer high DPS jerks? -- Ghostcrawler, Twitter, 6/29/13

10+ Year Old Account
    Cata went unfinished. An entire raid tier was scrapped completely, and the ending was quite UNsatisfying.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because it was a fucking pile of shit that's why straight forward right there.

DS was... I don't even wanna talk about it.

It was blatantly obvious that Blizz was cutting corners for almost all of the x-pac and trying to pass off rehash as new content.

In all threads about new expansion I see lots of pll bashing Cata. Many pll say it was worst expansion ever. I did play since May 2005 and I strongly believe it's second BEST expansion after BC. Why? Everything about Cata was PERFECT. I'll explain now why.

1. Leveling, core of the start = amazing fun because you COULD fly. Wanna not start level in one zone? Choose another. Leveing in Hijal is amazing, I still have a lot of fun lvling there on my alts. Uldum, nice storyline and fun quests. And that quest when you kill 1000 gnomes... PRICELESS . Not only that. They revamped old zones so nicely that it became fun to lvl new toons :P. And they added so many "EPIC FUN" quests. Like Sylvana's one. Or the one in badlands. Without Cata we would still grind old boring quests.
    Now to people who say, flying mounts=no pvp. I had tons, TONS of fun world pvp in Vashj'ir and TB. In fact I killed so many people in world pvp during Cata I didn't kill since vanilla.
    Leveling sucked in Cata, just as it sucks in MoP. I could care less about flying, what made it so bad was the hyper linear questing style they adopted with Cata which made the game narrow and shallow. It turned their revamp of the world into a mess for me.

You specifically mention Uldum too which is astounding. It was by far the worst zone with that Harrison Jones nonsense. I couldn't stand that.
    As a Demo lock I "had" to get the moonwell chalice. Har har har, anyways in seriousness we know why dailies sucked in MoP, I'm guessing that is why you felt it needed to be a point.
    3. Lore. Involving Thrall, one of the main lore characters. Even though I didn't enjoy much doing "Thrall specific quest" on many alts, doing it first time was very inspiring.
    You're confusing story with lore.
    /shrug I had a hectic job in cata where I had no clue when I would be working or how long, I could only be in social guilds with no attendance requirements. I was in about 10 guilds over the course of launch to firelands and all of them were bad... which wouldn't have been a problem if the raids weren't so much more than these people could handle. I ended up unsubbing 3 weeks into firelands because there wasn't really anything for me to do.
    Yes, I haven't really felt epic since they got rid of 40 mans.
    Uh this isn't english. I didn't "feel so good" randoms were crap at the start.
    My point is, I see no reason why people hate that expansion.
    Your point is your views are radically opposite those of most people.