Thread: Upgrading

Upgrading

Looking to upgrade my PC a bit before I build my custom rig next year. I have an HPE-500f desktop, specced like this:
    MOBO: N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (Alvorix)
    Manufacturer: Foxconn
    Form factor: uATX
    Chipset: AMD 785G
    Memory sockets: 4 x DDR3
    Front side bus speeds: 1333/1066/800MHz
    Processor socket: AM3
    Expansion Slots
    1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card
    3 PCI Express x1 slots
    1 PCI Express x1 minicard slot

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1045T
    Operating speed: 2.7 GHz (up to 3.2 GHz turbo)
    Number of cores: 6
    Socket: AM3
    Bus speed: 4000 MHz HT3
    TDP: 95W

RAM: 8 GB
    Amount: 8 GB
    Speed: PC3-10600 MB/sec
    Type: DDR3-1333

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6450
    Interface: PCI Express x16
    1 GB onboard memory

300W Power Supply

I'm assuming my CPU and RAM are alright, it's my graphics card (and in turn, power supply) that need a boost. Now, I'm not looking to go time of the line. I believe in gaming coexistance, so I am neither PC gamer nor console gamer... I am just, a gamer. I play mostly older games on my PC that run just fine now, but I'd also be interested in running titles like Fary Cry 3/ Crysis1,2,3 / Planetside 2 etc, on relatively high setting at around 30 fps. I don't need ultra at 60fps, high at 30fps will suffice. Where are my opportunities for upgrades, and what will it run me? Thanks in advance!

10+ Year Old Account
    You say that you're planning to build a rig next year... I'd honestly probably just hold off on making any upgrades and put the money toward the new machine. You'd have to delay your gratification, but you'll be better off for it in the end.

As far as your current rig, I don't know much about AMD processors and their benchmarks so I can't help you much there, but your RAM is slow and as you pointed out the GPU and PSU are both sorely underpowered. The problem I foresee with upgrading that machine is that it's an HP, and they often have proprietary case/PSU designs. In other words, you may have trouble getting an upgrade to physically fit inside the case. I actually had this precise problem a few years back when I tried to replace the PSU in my old HP Pavilion... took me three tries to get a PSU that would fit into the case, and even then it was wedged in pretty awkwardly.

ASSUMING you can get your parts to fit, you'll want at the bare minimum probably something along the lines of a Radeon 7850 and a ~450w PSU. The pair would cost you probably $200-225 after rebates, and would serve your needs for newer games on medium or so settings, but really would only be a placeholder in the sense that a year or two down the road they'll be bottlenecking you in exactly the same way your current ones are now.

TLDR: Upgrading that machine is throwing good money after bad if you plan to replace it in the next ~6 months. Saving the money now to replace it sooner will get you the best bang for your buck.
    Last edited by Sorphius; 2013-11-19 at 03:06 PM.