Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Anyone Else Miss The Lich King?

I was having a chat with my guild yesterday about the upcoming and previous expansions and it made me think about how much I enjoyed the "Wrath of the Lich King" in terms of the story and the involvement that LK had in the quests. I don't feel that we've had that with Cataclysm, Mists and we won't get it with Warlords of Draenor either.

Cata's big bad was obviously Deathwing and he wasn't in the story enough for me, sure he f**ked up the world and appeared a few times but taking him down didn't feel like a big deal like the LK did. Mists obviously was different in that it was as much about Horde/Alliance conflict with Garrosh only becoming the big bad towards the end. Now with Warlords of Draenor, it seems like more of an ensemble bad guy piece rather than working towards taking down one specific person.

I roll as a Death Knight so maybe I have a slightly different experience of WOTLK than some of you but the starting quests, where I was at first doing work for the Lich King, then working towards taking him down, felt insanely rewarding. It felt like quite a cohesive and meaningful storyline and when you buy into the story like that, it makes the "Kill 10 Kobold" style quests that much easier to stomach. When i finally downed the Lich King and that cutscene rolled, i felt like i should feel coming to the end of an expansion, rewarded.

I'd like to see in the future, an expansion that focuses on a "big bad" in that kind of detail again because I'll be honest, zero fudges are given about the home of the Pandas by me. Hell, if i could i'd toss the entire continent into the Maelstrom. I'm not overly excited about the Warlords of Draenor either in terms of what's been laid out story wise but i'll begrudgingly play it.

What do you guys think?

Not at all. The LK, and Illidan, were both *horribly* told villians in WoW, and I just don't care for either of them.

LK's main issue is he just felt like some saturday morning cartoon villian. Showing up, "I'm going to stop you with my minions! Ahahahah!" and then we kill his minions constantly. It really diminished the final fight.

The lore was fantastic,

But just as most previous xpacs these are alot of rose tinted glasses,
    Remember when LFD removed the social aspect?
    When Heirlooms removed twinks?
    When locked leveled twinks got their seperate queue put the nail in the coffin for lv19 rogues?
    When LK popped up every single corner (i personally liked this tho)
    When DK + Pala were instant gladiator title in 2s
    When Icecrown was up for a year and kingslayer was almost as common the patient

But on tpoic, ye i would really love a LK like enemy (deathwing failed by trying the same)

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I had plenty of hitrating back then, and I certainly have plenty hitrating now.

And in WoD, welllll....
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

The only good Lich King part in Wrath of the Lich King was the actual fight with him... maybe the HoR chase after they buffed him. All else was horrible... I'LL GET YOU NEXT TIME, GADGET! I DON'T mind him popping up all the time but at least make it significant.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DizzyBala View Post
    Mists obviously was different in that it was as much about Horde/Alliance conflict with Garrosh only becoming the big bad towards the end. Now with Warlords of Draenor, it seems like more of an ensemble bad guy piece rather than working towards taking down one specific person.
    The pre event was Garrosh nuking Theramore. It was clear from the start that he was the big bad from the beginning. Hell, Blizz even said from the start that the final raid would be attacking Org to take him down. You were surprised?

As for WoD, I think that the threat of a new Orc invasion of Azeroth is a pretty big Big Bad as it is. Just because there are mutiple leaders doesn't mean anything. There very well could be a power behind the power that Blizz just hasn't mentioned, yet.
    If a fat kid falls in the forrest and no one is around do the trees laugh?
    You're an insignificant speck of a person sitting on an insignificant speck of a world orbiting an insignificant speck of a star in an insignificant speck of a galaxy. Literally, no one cares what you think.

he'll be back in his first true form in WoD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. I am hit capped and never miss.

Deleted
    I miss the whole theme and storyline.

It was the last time I really got hooked on the story in WoW/Warcraft.

Lich king was the most well known Warcraft lore. The "feeling" of it can not be recreated. You will miss it, and nothing Blizz can do will ever compare.

Deleted
    I miss Arthas, not the silly, generic bad guy they made out of Lich King in Wotlk.

Arthas was one of my favorite characters mainly cause his story is like Cecil's from FF4 (my all time favorite FF) but the Bizzaro version. Yet him in WotLK was, as Tyrant said, he felt like a Saturday morning cartoon villain, which sounding like Dr Claw didn't help any. That and his story in WotLK was so inconsistent and just bad. WotLK arthas I don't miss, WC3/TFT Arthas AND Illidan yeah.

15+ Year Old Account
    I miss his character, but I do not miss WoTLK. At all.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Lich King was a great villain, but they overdid his appearances in Northrend while questing. While it became obvious it was all just a trap for us, the constant appearance and failure to kill us left him feeling like a neutered version of himself.
    The goddess in my avatar is Hayley Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I miss the whole theme and storyline.

It was the last time I really got hooked on the story in WoW/Warcraft.
    Yup, same here. I didnt even play WC3, but LK was most interesting story in whole WoW. Since then, all other villains were not even close.

Deleted
    If Ner'zhul is in WoD then you'll have your "original" Lich King back. I doubt he'll be the Lich King at that time but he will be, eventually.

Deleted
    i miss wrath..

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved everything about wrath. I miss it dearly.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Yes, because the lore behind the Lich King was just awesome. I'm hoping Blizz takes notice to the numerous players talking about WotLK, and they try to make the next xpac with the just as much lore for the players.
    ...in terms of just lore, MoP beats WoTLK by a long shot. The 5.1 questline, the Klaxxi, Wrathion, etc is alot better than what Wrath had to offer.

Most people look back on WoTLK fondly simply because it was either the time they joined WoW, was the time where they started raiding, or because they actually knew who the Lich King was from playing Warcraft 3. Blizzard is better at implementing lore into WoW then ever before (not saying they don't make mistakes, like Garrosh), but people are blinded by nostalgia and say how everything was better before.

Even years later I still can't believe how many people like WoTLK. During WoTLK people whined about how it was catering to casuals (Wrath babies), how DKs were OP, how Blizz is lazy for reusing Naxx, how ToC was further proof they were lazy, how LFD was killing WoW, etc. Now it's hailed as the greatest expansion by many, and you rarely see people who hated it. Quite hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by manicwrath View Post
    I loved everything about wrath. I miss it dearly.
    Quote Originally Posted by laggspike View Post
    i miss wrath..
    See, I'll never understand these people.

Stood in the Fire ArMeD_SuRvIvOr's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I always thought Blizzard should have made him the Darth Vader of Warcraft. A constant enemy throughout the series. You may say he hadn't existed before WC3... but no character will ever reach his popularity. Everybody knew him, and loved to hate him.

1) He should have had the double personality/conjoined wills of Ner'zhul and Arthas, instead of the shitty "Arthas consumed Ner'zhul"

2) He should have been a constant enemy that harasses factions, does surgical strikes against important targets, assassinates important lore figures, marches his armies anywhere he sees fit from his cozy land of Northrend, making for awesome raid, dungeon, scenario, event content and much more.

3) I would have loved a "defensive" expansion pack, where we have to DEFEND and SURVIVE in our own lands instead of attacking him in Northrend. Would have been so much more epic. Why does every important baddy have to die? Why do we always have to be on the offensive?

Pity they had to kill him like Illidan. Bad move.
    Last edited by ArMeD_SuRvIvOr; 2013-11-19 at 03:49 PM.
    Really sucks if they start to limit their vision for an expansion just to get the next one out faster.
    BLOOD DPS. Never forget. Still campaigning to get you back, babe.