Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    You're aware that just because you don't know them; that doesn't mean they are new to the game, right?
    I wasn't saying that. A lot of them have been playing for a while. And in any case this is a HM guild so it's kind of a clique and not representative of the base.

If you want to find actual data on this you'd have to look at those reams of data on player achievements that MMO-C mines occasionally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

According the the polls on this forums 98% of people have played since classic. Yeah, right lol.

I have. Why? I love the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    In the beta female trolls looked like everquest trolls not the slinky jamaican goddesses they are today. it always tickles me pink when i see deviantart or w/e of sexy trolls or people who get way too into their toons...knowing what they are supposed to look like.

Additionally male BE were supposed to have a slender and sexy physique, not look like anglo luchadors with banana hands sorry if this is off topic.

Original vanilla player here...I am still 'around' I just do not play, for many various reasons.
    To each their own I guess, the live female troll model may be in dire need of some love but the beta model was just plain hideous. Ditto the old BE model.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    It's almost like there was a massive shift in design direction at one point.
    I have a suspicion that formed when I heard of GC's former profession and saw the way class changes were being handled... call it my paranoid tin-foil hat theory, whatever. GC was a marine biologist; if I remember right he specialized in ecosystems. I honestly wonder if he was brought in (and sold himself to the suits) on the idea that the flow of a "living" game like an MMO was not too dissimilar to an ecosystem, and that he could maintain it, so to speak. Keep it from stagnating, from getting stale. The way to do this is to constantly change things, in a sort of rock-paper-scissor kind of way. There's no perfect balance in nature, just a sort of rise and fall of different species to maintain an overall balance over time. While this all sounds good on paper, it makes for shitty, shitty game design. It relies on constant, sometimes arbitrary nerfs and buffs to classes from patch to patch (more than is needed to nudge them towards a true balance). I suspect that Blizzard has tried to replace art (working towards a vision of how the game should be and how each class should feel) with engineering (constant change to prevent boredom, time investment tricks like the weird Golden Lotus gating) and that doesn't work in the long run, at least not with games.

That's totally my loony pet theory though, not to be taken seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still here! Phew, 9 years.. It's been a long journey.
    Last edited by Nakkí; 2013-11-20 at 04:23 AM.
    Nakkiz of Memento <EU-Frostwhisper>

Quote Originally Posted by Alternategray View Post
    I have a suspicion that formed when I heard of GC's former profession and saw the way class changes were being handled... call it my paranoid tin-foil hat theory, whatever. GC was a marine biologist; if I remember right he specialized in ecosystems. I honestly wonder if he was brought in (and sold himself to the suits) on the idea that the flow of a "living" game like an MMO was not too dissimilar to an ecosystem, and that he could maintain it, so to speak. Keep it from stagnating, from getting stale. The way to do this is to constantly change things, in a sort of rock-paper-scissor kind of way. There's no perfect balance in nature, just a sort of rise and fall of different species to maintain an overall balance over time. While this all sounds good on paper, it makes for shitty, shitty game design. It relies on constant, sometimes arbitrary nerfs and buffs to classes from patch to patch (more than is needed to nudge them towards a true balance). I suspect that Blizzard has tried to replace art (working towards a vision of how the game should be and how each class should feel) with engineering (constant change to prevent boredom, time investment tricks like the weird Golden Lotus gating) and that doesn't work in the long run, at least not with games.

That's totally my loony pet theory though, not to be taken seriously.
    That doesn't make sense, early WoW wasn't art compared to today's mechanical. Old WoW was just a clumsy machine that wasn't built very well.

Or was built pretty well for its time anyway.

I don't think it would've made a lot of difference to WoW who the devs were, the path it needed to evolve along was pretty obvious.

I have played since beta pre-vanilla. Seen it all. Completed high warlord and I was part of one of the few guilds who cleared naxx 40. My favorite thing in vanilla was the AQ 40 event and world Pvp at tarren mill. And the 3 day av's lol.

Nobody I know from then still plays the game. Everyone I play with now picked up the game in wrath or cata. Most of us, including myself just unsubbed with the news on WoD. We don't want to be apart of another Cata. We are looking forward to heroes of the storm tho.

I would think so, yes. While I am a vanilla player and play off and on now, the amount of time that has passed is going on 8 years? Can't expect the firsts to still be around in large amount.

I'm one of the only people still around from my group of friends.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    According the the polls on this forums 98% of people have played since classic. Yeah, right lol.

I have. Why? I love the game.

I can distinctively remember logging into westfall on my first toon the day they did the talent reset for the pre bc patch and wondering why pyroblast wasnt on my bars....then getting killed >9000 times by doomlord after I went back to SW.

Quote Originally Posted by Goat7 View Post
    Most of us, including myself just unsubbed with the news on WoD. We don't want to be apart of another Cata. We are looking forward to heroes of the storm tho.
    Most of us? How about you dont try and speak for people you dont know.
    Last edited by usiris; 2013-11-20 at 04:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interview from Nov 2009 when WoW had 11.5M subs:
    Originally Posted by Rob Pardo
    I don't know what the exact number is off-hand, but the total number of subscribers we've had is easily more than double - maybe closer to triple - the current subscriber base. (Source)

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    It's only natural.

WoW is old. Very, very, old. Over the course of 9 years, people are going to come and go. It's inevitable.

Some people seem to be under the impression that if only X had been better, or Y had never been implemented, that somehow no one would have ever quit. Naturally that's just unrealistic.
    Perfectly said.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm part of the small playerbase that has been here since Classic. I think any players that leave the game because Blizzard adds optional content that they don't like is silly. I think I've liked or at least tried everything that has come out over the years. Off the top of my head, 2 things I don't like are PvP and Fishing. Everything else is tolerable or enjoyable. Yes, even daily quests.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

Quote Originally Posted by usiris View Post
    I can distinctively remember logging into westfall on my first toon the day they did the talent reset for the pre bc patch and wondering why pyroblast wasnt on my bars....then getting killed >9000 times by doomlord after I went back to SW.

Most of us? How about you dont try and speak for people you dont know.
    I was referring to my friends and the people I play with that are un subbing. Jerk.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never played with a large group of people, but only one other person gets on from time to time. I keep trudging along in my transmogged Tier 4 Cyclone set, stuck in the past.

The game changed too much for a lot of them. Some got burnt out. Even though I take breaks for months at a time, I keep coming back.

Hell, when I was a little kid, I dreamed about living in a fantasy world, going on adventures, I can't help but get drawn back.

Deleted
    i think most of the old players have quit, well atleast 99% of my friends from vanilla/tbc. still 1 left and he hasnt really been online much lately

Quote Originally Posted by Rivyr View Post
    Could not have said it better my self.

I imagine this is what an immortal must feel like, to be a relic of an age long gone, to remember your friends and moments from the past and the fun times you had but then to look out at the world around you and see something that shares similarities but is vastly different from the world you grew up in.

kinda exciting in a way and at other times a bit lonely feeling. In the last few guilds I have been a part of, I have been the longest playing player and people even doubt me sometimes.
    I think it's that loneliness (along with increasing rl obligations) that ended up driving me away from WoW. When everyone that you enjoyed playing with is gone, what then?

Also, I just remembered World Chat was a thing. That was a clusterf***. That and Barrens chat. Oh Barrens chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    I started in December 2005 and I have quit since 2012. Everybody I have known from 2-3 guilds have quit too. I see some of them on Skype from time to time. Ad Memoriam:

Every single person from this 25 man raid guild of 2008 have quit too, most during Catafail. I sincerely doubt there's even 20% of the original fanbase left. What few veteran players were left probably quit during the course of World of Kung Fu Pandas/Pokemon.
    So you are saying you are a TBC baby? n00b

I have seen a lot quit over the years since I first started playing in Dec 04. But then again, I still have people in my friends list that I see online today that I first raided MC and BWL with. Either way, as long as they don't make the Alliance do any more with Orc Jesus, I will still probably be playing come the 10th Anniversary.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alternategray View Post
    I don't get it. I really don't. How are current dungeons fun or interesting in any way? How?! It's just a loot machine. Fun is when you accidentally pull a second group and it's a whirlwind of chaos trying to protect the healer while the tank tries to regain control and the hunter is trapping things while you fear a mob off another dps and break the fear with a searing flame before it can pull a third pack and somehow at the end of the madness there's two or three of you still standing because your group managed to down both (!) packs against all odds. And you managed it because you used your abilities creatively and on the fly, not because you eeked out an extra 1.34% dps using the same abilities over and over and over. I miss old dungeons; dangerous dungeons. There's no real reward without the danger of failure.
    Remember running shattered halls?:-) Most of those i met in early cata, in stonecore, did not B-)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fangless View Post
    You can tell they are by the overwhelming mentality that exists nowadays.
    Not true. I have played non-stop since Day One of Vanilla and I am all for the quality of life changes, and the streamlining of play.
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

Deleted
    Classic player here, although I quit the game around a year ago now. I just couldn't stand the way MOP was, not to mention almost all my friends had quit too. Those few who stayed behind ended up quitting after a while.

I'm planning to return when WoD hits live for two reasons. First one being that the old gang I used to play with is getting back together. Second would be the upcoming PvP changes, I'm really looking forward to those. Though I have to say, it feels like WoW is being marketed towards 'FaceBook gamers' nowadays.