Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    In the volcanic ashlands of northwestern Georgia (Also known as Atlanta).

I found a solution to the Demon Hunter / Warlock problem.

Now, we all know that for years people have been begging for a demon hunter class, and can you blame them? Demon hunters are pretty badass in the warcraft universe, both in terms of lore and in terms of the general feel and aesthetic of playing a dark magical warrior.

However, there are several issues with adding a new demon hunter class:

1. We have enough classes for now that need balancing

2. Many people think they should make existing classes more versatile by adding fourth specs, rather than creating entirely new classes that would likely only have one playstyle.

3. Warlocks have most of the iconic demon hunter abilities.

I think I've found a solution for this. It has a few issues to be sure but hopefully together can worskshop this and find satisfy everyone.

Basically, my idea is to add a fourth spec to the warlock class that capitalizes on the strange tank-like abilities blizzard has been giving them over the years (taunts, damage reduction, melee-range abilities, mobile AoEs etc). The spec will be called "Demon Hunter", will dual wield, use magic shields and auras for damage reduction, have fire based AoE spells to aggro groups of enemies, and use intelligence to boost attack power similarly to how enhancement shaman use agility to boost their spellpower.

Now, the first problem for this is that most people assumed demon hunters would be a dps class, but I believe tank would suit them better for several reasons.

-We have too many dps specs already
    -Demon-hunters are empowered with fel magic, which could presumably make them incredibly difficult to kill and give them increased strength.
    -Warlocks already have tanking abilities that are completely useless in their current state aside from incredibly situational off-tanking that becomes less viable in end-game.

So, the demon hunter would make heavy use of the demon form mechanic that the demo-tree has, and also use fel energy (a resource your pets use similar to rogue energy) and demonic fury (I think it's ok for two specs within a class to use the same resource, right?). The powers from the dark apotheosis minor glyph (which gives warlocks a bunch of tanking spells) will be reorganized, tweaked, improved, balanced, and added into the new tanking spec.

Also, this would open up the possibility for night elves to have a new class: the warlock. Now, of course warlocks themselves are reviled in Night Elven culture, but to make this lore-friendly every night elf "Warlock" trainer will be a demon hunter and be located in "secluded" and "secret" places, similarly to how warlock trainers in Human and Dwarven starting zones are.

I think this would increase the versatility of the warlock class, which is already described as having more stamina and endurance than a regular arcanist. It would also help address the shortage of tanks and the overflow of dps in dungeons and raids, while at the same time reduce qeue times for warlocks who now have the option of playing two roles.

I know these ideas are a bit rough around the edges, but I think it's time we finally allow people to play (and roleplay) as demon hunters while finally making the infamous "Lock-tank" viable. So, what do you guys think? Any suggestions or feedback?

The trainer could easily be in Felwood. There's already a demon hunter there that's working against the demons in the area.

I'm normally not favorable towards the demon hunter class, but I'm intrigued by your idea of introducing it. One of the better approaches I've seen.

I'd bet my car that the OP is a warlock and his "idea" is so he can get a free demon hunter without having to reroll a new toon.

"we have too many DPS specs already"

That's definitely up for debate.

I don't give a flying hoot what they do with warlocks, apart from this: Either let them queue as tanks, or remove their tanking abilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    I seriously hope warlocks never get a tank spec, I don't want to be expected to have to tank on my warlock, at all.
    Various niche tank fights are fine.

It is still possible to add a demon hunter as it's own class. Just because warlocks, rogues and priests has some of their WC3 abilities doesn't mean you can't have another class with the same spells.

Just like warlocks once had death coil, not mortal coil. But once DK's where added, the warlock spell changed name.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortal Strike View Post
    I'd bet my car that the OP is a warlock and his "idea" is so he can get a free demon hunter without having to reroll a new toon.
    Do you have to be so rude and paranoid? I'm simply presenting an idea that I think could satisfy several problems at once without going through the developmental and balancing process of creating an entirely new class. Either contribute constructively or go to another thread. Thank you :]

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TylerN View Post
    I seriously hope warlocks never get a tank spec, I don't want to be expected to have to tank on my warlock, at all.
    Various niche tank fights are fine.

It is still possible to add a demon hunter as it's own class. Just because warlocks, rogues and priests has some of their WC3 abilities doesn't mean you can't have another class with the same spells.

Just like warlocks once had death coil, not mortal coil. But once DK's where added, the warlock spell changed name.
    No one will force you to tank dude, so I don't know why you'd be opposed to this based on that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aw, but I want it to be a Rogue spec that would be something that's actually a totally different flavor for them... I mean the iconic warglaives and all feel rather Roguey to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by idefiler6 View Post
    "we have too many DPS specs already"

That's definitely up for debate.

I don't give a flying hoot what they do with warlocks, apart from this: Either let them queue as tanks, or remove their tanking abilities.
    That's one of the main reasons I decided to make this thread: Warlocks for some reason have tanking abilities. We need to either make them viable or remove them. I decided to kill two birds with one stone with this thread by making a demon hunter spec that gives warlocks a tanking role, gives demon hunter-lovers their long-awaited class, and satisfies the people who think warlocks already fill the role of demon hunters by making it a spec.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OzoAndIndi View Post
    Aw, but I want it to be a Rogue spec that would be something that's actually a totally different flavor for them... I mean the iconic warglaives and all feel rather Roguey to me.
    A good idea but I think the spells demon hunters have and the lore behind them fits the warlock class far more than any class.

Every time people talk about balance, it just makes me pity them beyond belief. And then I proceed to laugh hysterically.

"W-we s-should try to b-balance the g-game first! P-proper balance can be achieved! T-trust me..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarlordsofDraenor View Post
    Every time people talk about balance, it just makes me pity them beyond belief. And then I proceed to laugh hysterically.

"W-we s-should try to b-balance the g-game first! P-proper balance can be achieved! T-trust me..."
    So what would you suggest we do? Of course the game will never be fully balanced but why exaserbate the problem? Please give some constructive criticism or go to another thread. It just wastes my energy and yours to be needlessly rude.

10+ Year Old Account
    the fourth spec-solution is not new and you did not come up with it

but yeah, sure, i would tank the hell out my warlock if she were given a demon hunter tank spec.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotrip View Post
    So what would you suggest we do? Of course the game will never be fully balanced but why exaserbate the problem? Please give some constructive criticism or go to another thread. It just wastes my energy and yours to be needlessly rude.
    adding classes is only barely relevant to the question of balance
    balance is inherently dynamic, and static balance will never be achieved, but the process of dynamic balance has been been refined over the last 9 years (mostly through rationalization and homogenization of the class design philosophy) to the point that classes are more balanced now than they hever ever been despite the addition of two new classes and the created of three-viable specs for all classes.

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

This design is fickle because it muddles what a Demon Hunter's identity is. Demon Hunters are not a Warlock specialization, and that's the core problem of trying to shoehorn a class in as a spec, despite what similarities there may be. It would be like making 'Paladin' a 4th priest spec, it just wouldn't work because wearing armor and using shields isn't part of the Priest class identity. Or Druids getting a 'Keeper of the Grove' spec wouldn't make any sense, while a more general 'Restoration' does. Druids are not Keepers, but they can specialize in the same nature magic.

If you were to give Warlocks a tanking spec, then it should be undeniably 'Warlock Tanking Spec'. Demon Hunters are Demon Hunters, they're not just Warlocks who decide to go into demon form to tank. For people who just want to transform into a Demon and kill stuff, you already have that with Demonology. Keep the Warlock idenity as it is, separate from Demon Hunter association. They can tread on the same abilities and themes (like Druids and Keepers or Priests and Paladins do) but they should continue to exist as separate entities.

So in short, this proposal doesn't satisfy some of the core issues for why fans want to see Demon Hunters. Many who want to play as a Demon Hunter value lore and identity over gameplay.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2013-11-19 at 09:03 PM.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Meh, this has already been suggested before (make it a 4th spec for locks), but I've seen just as many (myself included) suggest that, if a 4th spec was going to added, they make it a legitimate tank spec, and not the half-assed state DA currently resides.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post
    Meh, this has already been suggested before (make it a 4th spec for locks), but I've seen just as many (myself included) suggest that, if a 4th spec was going to added, they make it a legitimate tank spec, and not the half-assed state DA currently resides.
    DA was not half-assed, it was a fully formed suite of tanking mechanics that was gutted before Beta ended.

oh man, those were the days
    (wistful twinkle in the eye....)

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

demon hunter and warlocks are not the same. warlock's only have 2 demon hunter moves because they siphon them. Metamorphosis and immolation.
    warlocks used fel magic mostly and sometimes shadow magic.
    Demon hunters use fire and arcane magic. they are usually come from warrior, mages, and druids.
    warlocks are power hungry fools.
    demon hunters sacrifice their body and souls for the greater good.
    also the glyph of demon hunting should have never even been put in the game.

http://wowpedia.org/Demon_hunter
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

I've proposed this before, so I can dig it.

Also, shaman tanks. MORE TANKS!

10+ Year Old Account
    Lorewise demon hunter as a class wont work. First demon hunters are trained by other demon hunters. They are lonewolves and few in numbers and are NOT intrested in training people. Training takes years. Unless the few demon hunters decide to start a demon hunter school for n00bs 8D it's not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Futhark View Post
    I've proposed this before, so I can dig it.

Also, shaman tanks. MORE TANKS!
    i agree with shaman tanks. warlock tanks hell no. they can die in their own fire.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Viikkis View Post
    Lorewise demon hunter as a class wont work. First demon hunters are trained by other demon hunters. They are lonewolves and few in numbers and are NOT intrested in training people. Training takes years. Unless the few demon hunters decide to start a demon hunter school for n00bs 8D it's not possible.
    illidan was training alot of demon hunters. sadly most of the top ones were killed. besides demon hunters would be a hero class. demon hunters are one of the top 3 most demanded things we already got the other 2(death knights and pandarens.)
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

10+ Year Old Account
    Still it wouldnt make sense to suddenly have dozens of demon hunters running around especially when Illidan and most of the demon hunters are dead/lone wolves.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    DA was not half-assed, it was a fully formed suite of tanking mechanics that was gutted before Beta ended.

oh man, those were the days
    (wistful twinkle in the eye....)
    I specifically stated *CURRENTLY* resides. I am aware it was almost a real tank in Beta, with the 6% crit immunity and everything. However, iirc, it was missing the ability to queue as a Tank in LFD/LFR, which technically means even then it was only considered an "OH SHI--" tank.

I would love a 4th spec that made DA a legitimate tank.