Thread: A WoW Sequel

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

A WoW Sequel

Have Blizzard ever said anything about making a sequel to WoW? I know Blizzard aren't going to consider a sequel whilst WoW is still market leader, but has the question ever come up?

Hypothetically, what would you want to see in a WoW sequel? Any specific features or lore elements?

10+ Year Old Account
    First of all, what do YOU mean by "WoW sequel"?

They really have no point in making a WoW sequel because WoW is a stand alone game. The graphics wouldn't even improve since they want every computer to be able to run it and changing the engine would change the feel of the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    First of all, what do YOU mean by "WoW sequel"?
    Exactly what it sounds like, a second Warcraft MMO.

Its just an idea, I'm not saying it will or should happen, or if it did then when. I was more just putting it for discussion.

I was for a while sure that Titan was going to be a WoW followup, but thats been pretty strongly disproven.

Everquest got a sequel.

Guild Wars got a sequel.

Asheron's Call got a sequel.

FFXI got a sequel.

WoW is an evolving game, one whose limits are only defined by its developer's motivation.

There's no reason to ever do WoW II, because you could just do the same thing to WoW I without introducing a massive disconnect for players.

If you think there needs to be a WoW II, please explain what's wrong with WoW I that would require a whole new game to fix.

WoW has very few limits from lore or anything else. Whatever Blizzard dreams up to put into a fantasy MMO, they can squeeze it into WoW and will probably make more money maintaining their current customer base than taking a risk on splitting that customer base by having two overlapping competing games.

PF.

Deleted
    If they are going to create a new MMO(In the next 5-7 years), then WoW II is inevitable. It is the only way to drag the WoW players to it, without causing a torch&rake situation for shutting down the servers or making the game lame.

wont happen any time soon
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Sequel in this scenario could be a few different things, mainly:

Graphic overhaul ie: updated game engine, basically redoing the game on a physical level (think runescape classic to runescape 2)

Sequel takes place in future of Warcraft history, like 100 years down the line or whatever, new story lines while still in the same setting/lore universe

As it stands Blizzard has moved away worlds from closing WoW anytime soon. Even though this means that the game might still be there and active in over 10 years. Any overhault a sequel game could make can be integrated into WoW itself, depending on how much work you want to invest into it.

However, if there ever is a sequel to WoW it would be better for Blizzard to make it a spiritual successor, meaning they better take another existing trademark like Diablo or Starcraft, or create a new one for this successor. No matter how long Blizzard intents to keep WoW as their flagship MMO, as soon as they decide to create a new one, another Warcraft based MMO would probably make no sense at all. We could use some fresh air once in a while.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uberlag View Post
    Sequel in this scenario could be a few different things, mainly:

Graphic overhaul ie: updated game engine, basically redoing the game on a physical level (think runescape classic to runescape 2)

Sequel takes place in future of Warcraft history, like 100 years down the line or whatever, new story lines while still in the same setting/lore universe
    They could do that without making a WoW II. If we can go backwards in time (without time travel of course) there could be a 100-year break between expansions too. It might be a good idea actually.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LonestarHero View Post
    Everquest got a sequel.

Guild Wars got a sequel.

FFXI got a sequel.
    Guild Wars didn't get a sequel, it got a piece of shit completely different.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PixelFox View Post
    WoW is an evolving game, one whose limits are only defined by its developer's motivation.

There's no reason to ever do WoW II, because you could just do the same thing to WoW I without introducing a massive disconnect for players.

If you think there needs to be a WoW II, please explain what's wrong with WoW I that would require a whole new game to fix.

WoW has very few limits from lore or anything else. Whatever Blizzard dreams up to put into a fantasy MMO, they can squeeze it into WoW and will probably make more money maintaining their current customer base than taking a risk on splitting that customer base by having two overlapping competing games.

PF.
    I never said there was anything that wrong with WoW, but I don't agree that WoW has an infinite potential as a game. WoW is utlimately a theme park MMO with the players having a limited ability to affect the world around them.

Some time down the line, it would be interesting to see what Blizzard might do with Warcraft. WoW is already in decline, and eventually new expansions will only serve to prop it up. Why not think to the future?

Quote Originally Posted by The Kao View Post
    As it stands Blizzard has moved away worlds from closing WoW anytime soon. Even though this means that the game might still be there and active in over 10 years. Any overhault a sequel game could make can be integrated into WoW itself, depending on how much work you want to invest into it.

However, if there ever is a sequel to WoW it would be better for Blizzard to make it a spiritual successor, meaning they better take another existing trademark like Diablo or Starcraft, or create a new one for this successor. No matter how long Blizzard intents to keep WoW as their flagship MMO, as soon as they decide to create a new one, another Warcraft based MMO would probably make no sense at all. We could use some fresh air once in a while.
    I seriously doubt WoW will still be going in ten years time, given its 9 years old and has long since peaked in terms of numbers.

Deleted
    I'd rather not have one. They can continue the story, start from end of WC3 or just retcon stuff they need in WC4. I don't really think there's need for WoW 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not going to lie. I'd love to see WoW with graphics on par with GW2 of FFXIV. But like people have sadly said, Blizz wants you to be able to play WoW on a toaster. Have no choice but to respect that.

If I could wave a magic wand, what I WOULD have Blizzard do is make a WoW-ese Single/Multiplayer RPG that covers the story of WoW from Classic to the end of end of Wrath and right before the Cataclysm. Just like WoW, you'd create a character from the Alliance/Horde races of the time (including canon races of each faction that aren't playable in WoW) and do the storyline of Classic -> TBC -> Wrath -> Pre-Cata stuff we didn't see in game.

"With King's Light and Lion's Roar, By kingdom's pact, our spirits soar, Against the Darkness, we stand in defiance, Even in death, Glory to the Alliance!" - Ken Silver, Human Hunter

There is not a lot of point in a WoW sequel, by the time WoW dies it will be because nobody wants to play WoW so making a second one even with an updated engine would be a bit of a waste of time.

At that point they'd be entering the market as any WoW competitor does now, except with the reputation of a dead game behind them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LonestarHero View Post
    Everquest got a sequel.

Guild Wars got a sequel.

FFXI got a sequel.
    But WoW is a million times more succesfull then these games, u can't just make a sequel for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    But WoW is a million times more succesfull then these games, u can't just make a sequel for it.
    Those games only have 7 customers?

As to the actual topic.

They'd need to put it far into the future and redraw the lines of war. Seeing crumbled statues to lore characters we'd fought with would be cool and seeing what sort of impact the age of adventurers has had on Azeroth and associated planes/dimensions/timelines would be pretty sweet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Other games have sequels... WoW has Expansions....

/thread
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

closest thing i can think of as an sequel, would be to do as runescape did

overhaul graphics . rename the game to WoW2

doubt it will happen tho.
    I like my coffe like my mages.