Page 1 of 13
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Do Americans really get best healthcare?

    Do Americans really get best healthcare compared to socialized nation? We pay up to 1200 dollar for getting a tooth pulled out if we had to pay out of pocket. Is 1200 dollar teeth pulling out really that much better than cheaper out of pocket options in socialized nation like U.K.? I ask because the common argument is that Americans pay that much for same services due to our healthcare being better than other nations?

  2. #2
    Elemental Lord Manakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cambridge!
    Posts
    8,892
    Depends on how you approach it really, on one hand America is great for specialist treatments; IF and only IF you can afford or have insurance for them.

    In America if you run out of insurance or don't have the money, you're fucked - They'll let you die and bill the family, in the U.K you'll never, ever die due to petty things like money.

    The U.K has a social healthcare system, and it's largely inundated and understaffed; despite that, it's still managing to do the job admirably - But not to the extent certain aspects of U.S healthcare does.

    However, that's an uninformed idiots opinion; so take it with a pinch of salt.

    I'd hands down choose the U.K over the U.S though, no offense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Oh Manakin, have I told you lately that I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    The British did not play a major role in WW2

  3. #3
    America has the best care in the world, if you're wealthy.
    "Bah-weep-graaaaagnah wheep nini bong!"
    On Parole from Retard Rehabilitation since October 22, 2014.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Tradewind isn't helping.

  4. #4
    It's become proven time and time again that throwing money at something won't make it better. Conservatives especially use this argument, so this time should be no different.

  5. #5
    If you're rich, yes.

  6. #6
    The rich people do. The middleclass, the poor, aka 99% (maybe 95% is closer for this subject) do not.

    But, if you're middle class, and you have to sell your house to cure your cancer, is that really 'good' healthcare? You may be alive, but now you have nothing.

  7. #7
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    22,752
    Best if you are wealthy, you can get the expensive experimental drugs that countries with a NHS won't touch yet. Sucks if you are poor though, it is not unheard of for people to go bankrupt by becoming ill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I do sympathize with these so called terrorist organisations. As far as I'm concerned, at least they are fighting for something they believe in, and for what they see to be the greater good. They're not fighting to line the pockets of statesmen, governors and oil barons. I wish we could the same about the people on this side of the planet.
    Hobbes talking about Al Qaeda and ISIS.

  8. #8
    1200 dollars for a tooth pull? I just got three pulled for 500.

  9. #9
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    new orleans
    Posts
    994
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    The rich people do. The middleclass, the poor, aka 99% (maybe 95% is closer for this subject) do not.

    But, if you're middle class, and you have to sell your house to cure your cancer, is that really 'good' healthcare? You may be alive, but now you have nothing.
    I dint know anyone who has had cancer that had to sell their house to treat their cancer nor has the hospital allowed them to die when funds were an issue. Most cancer centers will work with patients when it comes to payments. The amount of idiocy in this thread is turning epic very early on.

  10. #10
    Legendary! vindicatorx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Posts
    6,883
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Do Americans really get best healthcare compared to socialized nation? We pay up to 1200 dollar for getting a tooth pulled out if we had to pay out of pocket. Is 1200 dollar teeth pulling out really that much better than cheaper out of pocket options in socialized nation like U.K.? I ask because the common argument is that Americans pay that much for same services due to our healthcare being better than other nations?
    I'm sorry who is we? If this is the US paying $1200 I think you may want to recheck that sum because what I see a surgical extraction of a tooth runs $150 -$650 if you are paying out of pocket. Now if you are having 4 impacted Wisdom teeth pulled it runs $1000 to $3000. So your argument is kind of off already. Now, if you have Dental Insurance it usually pays 75- 80% of that cost. I don't know why you used dentistry as an example as how much more advanced can one place be over another to pull teeth?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    I dint know anyone who has had cancer that had to sell their house to treat their cancer nor has the hospital allowed them to die when funds were an issue. Most cancer centers will work with patients when it comes to payments. The amount of idiocy in this thread is turning epic very early on.
    Says your anecdotal evidence?
    "Bah-weep-graaaaagnah wheep nini bong!"
    On Parole from Retard Rehabilitation since October 22, 2014.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Tradewind isn't helping.

  12. #12
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Do Americans really get best healthcare compared to socialized nation? We pay up to 1200 dollar for getting a tooth pulled out if we had to pay out of pocket. Is 1200 dollar teeth pulling out really that much better than cheaper out of pocket options in socialized nation like U.K.? I ask because the common argument is that Americans pay that much for same services due to our healthcare being better than other nations?
    No. its also the most expensive per person

  13. #13
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    22,752
    Nobody in the UK ever had to make meth to pay for cancer treatment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I do sympathize with these so called terrorist organisations. As far as I'm concerned, at least they are fighting for something they believe in, and for what they see to be the greater good. They're not fighting to line the pockets of statesmen, governors and oil barons. I wish we could the same about the people on this side of the planet.
    Hobbes talking about Al Qaeda and ISIS.

  14. #14
    short answer is no, we spend way more than anyone else and our outcomes are less than many "socialized medicine" countries.

    We also pay more for things because people don't have access to preventative care like cleanings and fillings that would prevent things like a tooth pulling.

  15. #15
    Scarab Lord GreatOak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Chicago, USA
    Posts
    4,924
    Our care is pretty good, and our specialists are amongst the best. It's just overpriced as fuck

    http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/#/11111115111

    Keep in mind that doesn't list all factors, but I do think it has the most important ones.
    "It woudl be funny as hell if the abodinal snoawman walk in the background" -Confucius

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    I dint know anyone who has had cancer that had to sell their house to treat their cancer nor has the hospital allowed them to die when funds were an issue. Most cancer centers will work with patients when it comes to payments. The amount of idiocy in this thread is turning epic very early on.
    Sorry, but you're completely wrong.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Nobody in the UK ever had to make meth to pay for cancer treatment.
    No they just do it recreationally.
    "Bah-weep-graaaaagnah wheep nini bong!"
    On Parole from Retard Rehabilitation since October 22, 2014.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Tradewind isn't helping.

  18. #18
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    22,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    No they just do it recreationally.
    As it should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I do sympathize with these so called terrorist organisations. As far as I'm concerned, at least they are fighting for something they believe in, and for what they see to be the greater good. They're not fighting to line the pockets of statesmen, governors and oil barons. I wish we could the same about the people on this side of the planet.
    Hobbes talking about Al Qaeda and ISIS.

  19. #19
    Best if you are rich above average if you are not and and mediocre if you are dirt poor with the certainty of bankruptcy in the near future.
    Can you believe it? My ISP is amazing, look

    Oh yea i forgot there was a 0. in front of the 8 ... internet service in America sucks.

  20. #20
    If you can afford it, I'm pretty sure we have the best doctors in the world.

    Most people can't afford it which effectively means we are well below every other first world nation in terms of over all health care when looking at all American citizens.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •