Poll: Could you ever do that?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Unfortunately this doesn't work because the old world is ruine...changed. The quests are overly easy, mobs aren't even aggressive, have super short aggro range, there's no threat of death, and if you ever have trouble 20 NPCs will come to save you. The barrens used to be treacherous, the murlocs of elwynn were a threat, anything COULD kill you. No more.

Sorry, doesn't work.
    Last edited by Shiny212; 2013-11-20 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Unfortunately this doesn't work because the old world is ruine...changed. The quests are overly easy, mobs aren't even aggressive, have super short aggro range, there's no threat of death, and if you ever have trouble 20 NPCs will come to save you. The barrens used to be treacherous, the murlocs of elwynn were a threat, anything COULD kill you.

Sorry, doesn't work.
    They are still a threat, try play without heirlooms and take your level 6 Gnome Rogue to that murloc place and go take on 3 of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Won't work for me. I can't replicate my starting experience.

• I'd have my mount 20 levels too early
    • I wouldn't have to level up weapon skills and and pay gold to learn ranked class skills
    • I wouldn't have confusing and unbalanced talent trees with no direction to confuse me
    • The zone level progression wouldn't send me in convoluted loops all over the world map
    • There would be no 10-step fed-ex quests to Kalimdor and back three times for 2000XP
    • The questing experience wouldn't be unintelligently laid out with no thought for breadcrumbing
    • Quests wouldn't offer me plate gear with spirit and strength on it...

But yeah... Disgustingly, I miss that experience! The world was big, wild and at that point in 2005 completely new and wondrous. Man, you just can't bottle that feeling.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
    Please don't compare heroine with wanting to play World of Warcraft from the start without heirlooms or any achievements
    I often begon from the beginning in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, as they don't share anything between characters, it's a clean start and that can be fun.
    I'm comparing the mindset of people in this thread with the mindset of an heroine addict who just doesn't get it. Chasing the past is a complete waste of time and a very effective way to be remain unhappy playing a game. Memories are fine, but accept the fact that they get more blurry with each passing day and you keep forgetting more and more of the negative features, and that it is highly likely that the few good memories you have definitely don't justify all the bad ones that have improved in todays game.

I think that alot of the spark people suffering from severe nostalgia are looking for is the very awful playerbase, a time where you couldn't be criticized by other players because 99% of players were just as awful as you. Playing single player games where everything revolves around you seems like a good idea for people who are looking for solitude.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    No. Nostalgia is nostalgia. For me, I've been playing since late bc/early wrath and nothing would beat the good old feel of walking through teldrassil again and exploring new areas and zones, not knowing what the fuck to do. Back then I was new and everything seemed hard but now? I know everyplace where to go so even if I were to restart again a billion times I still wont get that "nostalgic" feel.

Also as someone mentioned, leveling is too fast nowadays and no longer immersive, quests are boring and some of the new areas are bad and require no social interaction or group quests whatsoever. Maybe however, if I were to join WoW now I'd feel it like an epic MMO but I highly doubt due to the points stated above.

Deleted
    I've tried that but its not working.

What about :
    - get drunk as hell
    - sit into a car, if you don't have one steal it
    - smash first tree you'll find
    - survive but make sure you'll suffer amnesia
    - remember making yourself a note on fridge - buy world of warcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Sorry but no.

If you truly want to relive it, you need to go to a Vanilla/TBC/WOTLK Server.

Not having a flying mount while everyone else has it, gives you a huge disadvantage at farming nodes. You'll reach it with your normal mount then SWOOP, someone got it before you. That is not immersive that is annoying. If everyone would not have flying then sure your idea might work.... but then you will STILL not be immersed like at the start of WoW.

Why?
    - enemies hit like a wet piece of paper
    - enemies take hits like a wet piece of paper
    - there is almost zero risk of dying even without heirlooms
    - your skills are totally not the same as in Vanilla or other expansions that came later
    - you might not have heirlooms or other bonus experience, but you will still level so much faster due to Blizzard nerfing the leveling content
    - prices for getting a mount are silly > it used to take you so much saving that you might be able to buy a mount around level 43 (if you weren't that particularly busy with AH)
    - prices for learning to ride are silly
    - prices for learning skills were still in place, and those weren't cheap at all
    - you had to learn skills by visiting a trainer

But yeah in the offficial ways of trying to get the old experience back.... your way is basically the ONLY way.

But I wouldn't bother with it.
    While all those things are true, they barely matter because the most important thing to the feeling we had is our lack of knowledge. Since we cannot ungain what we know about wow and how to play it we can never relive the feeling again.

Quote Originally Posted by banur View Post
    While all those things are true, they barely matter because the most important thing to the feeling we had is our lack of knowledge. Since we cannot ungain what we know about wow and how to play it we can never relive the feeling again.
    Nope, even without knowledge, a seasoned gamer can't play WoW without asking himself, isn't this really fucking easy and boring? I know many of these that went, "whats all the fuss about?". All I can tell them is, it didn't USE to be like that. So no they don't "barely" matter, they matter a whole lot. THE whole lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember back when I was leveling my first character (draenei hunter) in BC I was so proud to finally be able to afford my regular ground mount around level 50 (it was expensive!). Then, because I hated how the elekks looked my first epic mount was a talbuk. I did that grind before I even hit level 70. Oh, lets not even talk about how long it took me to get flying mounts for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by banur View Post
    Wouldn't matter much to me. I never did read the quests much. I was totally lost (Searching for quest objectives) when I leveled in Vanilla all the time. Which was great.

I did not level an alt until very late in Vanilla and then just one, which basically got the same treatment in getting lost, be it a little less because there was more information on thottbot.

I made my 3rd and 4th alt since Cata only. So no for me personally it would not matter. I can imagine an avid altmaker in Vanilla having the problem you describe. Also have been used to the skills of current and past content. I imagine getting used to the skills we had in Vanilla for example, would be very much "newish" again. It would still be very hard to get decent gear (probably better gear then you had when you played Vanilla) due to knowledge.

This reminds me of the jaded old man chasing past glory cliche most of us might remember from half the sport's movies made in the 80's and 90's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMxyzptlk View Post
    no.
    I enjoy wow WAY more now then when I started, and i started in V so it sill wouldn't be even close to the same.... and if you are not enjoying the game... why are you playing it?
    I've spent about five solid minutes trying to pronounce your name and figure out your signature.

It's getting weirder the longer I look at it.

Deleted
    Great idea, though... I've already done all the zones... So not so great for me, however it is a great way to get the recruit a friend mounts

Deleted
    Doing that won't change the fact that you will already know all the places, all the quests etc so it won't do anything to relive the the feeling of when you first started playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is some truth to this.

I recently started as the opposite faction (frickin Horde!) on a brand-new server, no heirlooms, no gold, no guild, no anything. I took my time (only level 55 still), leveling a profession and selling my mats on the auction house for what little it sells for on that server and it's been pretty neat. Every piece of gear that drops has a potential to be something useful to me! I have a reason to actually care about what I find (since I need gold!). The quests are, in some areas, brand-new to me because Alliance doesn't have them.

It can be neat to start over and try something new for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    There is some truth to this.

I recently started as the opposite faction (frickin Horde!) on a brand-new server, no heirlooms, no gold, no guild, no anything. I took my time (only level 55 still), leveling a profession and selling my mats on the auction house for what little it sells for on that server and it's been pretty neat. Every piece of gear that drops has a potential to be something useful to me! I have a reason to actually care about what I find (since I need gold!). The quests are, in some areas, brand-new to me because Alliance doesn't have them.

It can be neat to start over and try something new for a change.
    Totally, still the mobs are piss easy to defeat. You can still grab X amounts of mobs and not die. You still do not have "the fear" for exploration. I miss that

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Where's the "no, this doesn't work because I unfortunately know 90% of the quests by memory" option?
    This. There's no way to relive that experience because you're no longer playing the game for the first time.

Plus, the game in its current form has still drastically changed from the original. Doing the "I'll play Classic and just get to 60 and not buy any expansions" thing won't really help that. All the changes (Cataclysm old world remake, racial starting quests, general world changes, mechanic changes, quest changes, etc) that have happened to the game will still apply. The only difference is that you won't be able to access the content beyond level 60.

Even if you were to play on some Classic-only private server, it still doesn't help the fact that you're not playing the game for the first time anymore. You'd have to pretty much erase everything WoW related from your memory AND play on one of those servers to really relive that experience.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If anyone still loves the game, but wants to feel like playing is more rewarding I can recommend doing this if you have the money. I've always had the thought in the back of my mind that starting completely from scratch would be an enjoyable experience, if nothing just to redo all the achievements. Unfortunately I just can't sacrifice everything I've earned so I wouldn't be able to do this properly.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    Won't work for me. I can't replicate my starting experience.

• I'd have my mount 20 levels too early
    • I wouldn't have to level up weapon skills and and pay gold to learn ranked class skills
    • I wouldn't have confusing and unbalanced talent trees with no direction to confuse me
    • The zone level progression wouldn't send me in convoluted loops all over the world map
    • There would be no 10-step fed-ex quests to Kalimdor and back three times for 2000XP
    • The questing experience wouldn't be unintelligently laid out with no thought for breadcrumbing
    • Quests wouldn't offer me plate gear with spirit and strength on it...

But yeah... Disgustingly, I miss that experience! The world was big, wild and at that point in 2005 completely new and wondrous. Man, you just can't bottle that feeling.
    World is bigger now, better too, since Cataclysm. Heh.
    It sucked before that.