Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    I don't get the "why leave previous guild" part. Granted, the GM has a peculiar interest in knowing that but any negative Reason will not be revealed honestly by a sane applicant.
    It's like asking "tell us all your negative sides that you are hiding which would cause your applicatio nto be declined"

good guilds will probably want to know if you were shit and got kicked or something.

I don't think they care about guild hopping, I mean where the heck are you gonna find someone prepared for H thok/blackfuse/paragon/garrosh progression? "oh our 13/14 H guild disbanded, yeah, that's it, let me in"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    I don't get the "why leave previous guild" part. Granted, the GM has a peculiar interest in knowing that but any negative Reason will not be revealed honestly by a sane applicant.
    It's like asking "tell us all your negative sides that you are hiding which would cause your applicatio nto be declined"
    *Shocker*
    What if I told you that good recruiters reach out and verify the players story?
    *Shocker*

Making characters on different realms and contacting players previous officers and raid mates is extremely common. We used to have one officer in the recruitment chain who had the specific job to find out as much as he could about a player from players from his previous guilds before our skype interview.

A lot of the time when you get to the vocal interview with a guild, they will ask you questions that they already know the answer to, just to see how you answer. It is fine that you have some dirt in your past, how you try to hide that dirt is what is interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    I use ElvUI for my UI and have everything neat and tidy and easily visible. However, when I heal, I use the Blizzard raid frames because they offer easily viewable feedback. Grid is too messy for me, and ElvUI's raid frames are terrible for keeping track of HoTs.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless you can provide some detailed statistics to prove this, I'll sum this up as a subjective opinion. I haven't tried Vuhdo since Wrath, but back then it was terrible muddled.

As a resto druid I disagree about elvui and hots. I have no trouble at all keeping track of them.

The whole point of applications is for the recruiter to get all the info they "need". If you have to ask for advise about what you "need" from people to judge them, maybe you shouldn't be asking for applications.

Personally I have always paid way more attention to people's armories and logs. Armories now don't say as much as they used to because of mr. robot and guides, but logs paint a clear picture of what they are capable of. Chatting for 5 mins tells me more than an essay in an application. I don't mind people skipping applications entirely or just filling them out as a formality. Just be a good at what you do and I won't miss it. If you're shit the best application in the world isn't gonna work anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    *Shocker*
    What if I told you that good recruiters reach out and verify the players story?
    *Shocker*
    Totally agree with this. Sometimes even one step further, I might simply not continue questioning a story if there's drama. A hint of it from talking to a player, looking at guild history or reading what they write and it's going to take a lot of convincing to keep me interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    hahaha and people wonder why guilds are dying... it's because stupid shit like applications.
    And this is why LFR is popular. Jesus man...Im tempted to say "back inn my days" line.

Actually fuck I will...Already at age 15 (Started wow young compared to most inn vanilla) I understood that applying was a much needet concept. Its annoying to get bad trial into the guild, or when I joined other guilds I always took my time to fill them out properly.

You think guilds run on air? No propor raiding guilds needs to have some standards.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Xtacle View Post
    I prefer trial run(s) to big guild applications/interviews, you actually get to see if they really know fights/their class. Simply filling out some application putting in whatever you know the guild wants to hear is nothing new.
    The problem with trial runs is that people often have to pay to transfer, and actually have to gquit their current guild, to do them. If they have an off night and you decline, that leaves them fucked.

I'd prefer to see them play 99 times out of 100, but it's a dick thing to do to ask them to come for one night without a ginvite and possibly be denied.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtacle View Post
    I find the whole thing of guild applications basically being job applications a bit silly
    There are actual sociological studies done on WoW and the parallels to the real world, guild applications and guild behaviors being one point of interest. It's not a coincidence that guild apps are like job apps.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The problem with trial runs is that people often have to pay to transfer, and actually have to gquit their current guild, to do them. If they have an off night and you decline, that leaves them fucked.

I'd prefer to see them play 99 times out of 100, but it's a dick thing to do to ask them to come for one night without a ginvite and possibly be denied.
    This could change in 6.0 with xrealm "normal" and "heroic" modes, but this is really the bottom line right now. People have to pay for transfers just to come get tested. That doesn't benefit the guild or the individual. Some people see apps as "elitist" or something, but really, it benefits everyone to have at least some idea beforehand if it's going to work out or not.

Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    As a resto druid I disagree about elvui and hots. I have no trouble at all keeping track of them.
    It's not about being able to keep track of them as in who they're on, I like the visual timers better on the default frames for my Druid.

To each his own

Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    This could change in 6.0 with xrealm "normal" and "heroic" modes, but this is really the bottom line right now. People have to pay for transfers just to come get tested. That doesn't benefit the guild or the individual. Some people see apps as "elitist" or something, but really, it benefits everyone to have at least some idea beforehand if it's going to work out or not.
    Yeah, I concur. Some guilds have been moving to flex trials, but flex in no way is comparable to heroic progression. I can space out on Flex even more than I can on LFR, I feel, because in LFR I feel I have to beware of stupid, whereas in a Flex I know there is at least a basic level of competence in the people I'm raiding with so I can just blank out and push buttons.

Maybe cross realm "heroic" AKA normal will help with this problem.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post

this is at the risk of the person applying too a guild on an other realm.
    but generally people dont look at other realms unless they cant find something suiting for them on their own realm anyway.

as far leaving ones guild for a trial run solely, are there really many guilds that require that of their applicants.
    cause i cant think of a sane reason why someone has too join a guild in order to do their trial run.
    so that shouldn't be a problem at all to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by felhunter View Post
    as far leaving ones guild for a trial run solely, are there really many guilds that require that of their applicants.
    cause i cant think of a sane reason why someone has too join a guild in order to do their trial run.
    so that shouldn't be a problem at all to be honest.
    Well, generally, trial period lasts (at least for my guild) 2-4 weeks, in which we will bring the trial to some farm bosses (or even progression bosses if the guy / girl proven to be skilled and geared enough). I don't think there are many guild trial on one run, or using Flex / LFR runs to decide, so during that period the trial will be locked to our raids. How many guilds out there are going to just let the trial stay knowing that? ("Ok, you can go and do your trial runs with that other guild, if you fail, we will still welcome you back")

ask shit ingame, run a trial raid, see how the player is doing... ofc it could be facilitated by blizzard too... via an ingame application tool that is actually decent.

me and my friend in tbc(me hunter, him rogue) caused our new guild's class leaders to quit the guild... after they denied our applications due to lack of raiding experience we seeked the GM ingame and aksed him to join a pug with us and after the run he invited us to the guild ... the first raid we proceeded to mop the floor with both the hunter class leader and the rogue one... and they left mid raid... just gquit during the last boss fight.

That's when we stopped doing applications and instead spoke to the GM's directly to go on pugs with us on trial runs.

sadly we are both a shell of our former selves now...
    You forgot to add the cherry on your shitthatneverhappened sundae. "Then the whole guild stood up and applauded!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblecrush View Post
    You forgot to add the cherry on your shitthatneverhappened sundae. "Then the whole guild stood up and applauded!"
    I support your post.

And in the off chance that he isn't just making up shitty stories, any guild that has "class leaders" who are shitty enough that the GL has to doubt their abilities over that of random nobodies is not a guild worth being in... Sounds a lot like one of those pretend hardcore guilds.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    hahaha and people wonder why guilds are dying... it's because stupid shit like applications.
    Hello? Guild applications have always been there and you do need them for most of the cases.

How else do you expect to recruit people? pick random people and see what happens?

I've myself only done 1 guild app in my "wow career", other that one I was known. But there's a lot of people looking for a proper guild who might not be known players for such guilds, so the only way to let themselves be known is by doing a guild app.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    So hillarious to see all the bottom feeders popping up in these threads not realising why they will never get into a good guild.
    Stick to your /2 I got xx item level plx invite to guild and see how that goes for you. You are not, and will not ever be, wanted in a serious raiding team.
    That's what I did and look where I am now. Argument = Invalid.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Except if you're playing legion xd
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyoken View Post
    The day I die I want the shaman class developers to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.......

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    It's not about being able to keep track of them as in who they're on, I like the visual timers better on the default frames for my Druid.

To each his own
    Vuhdo ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    . If you're shit the best application in the world isn't gonna work anyway.
    i can so much relate to this both in social and performance aspect

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Vuhdo ftw.
    Hate vuhdo. Sorry lol