Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Application to a raiding guild

I'm interested in what people think should be in an application to a raiding guild.

I'm in a 25 man guild that is 12/14hc raiding nine hours a week over three nights, I simplified our template recently in addition to links to character and logs I made three other boxes

1) I give them a brief opportunity to tell us a little about themselves, I stress in this question to keep things brief
    2) why they are leaving their previous guild
    3) one last bit incase they feel like they need to add some extra info

Despite me stressing to people to keep things brief they insist on writing essays, I even had an app recentley they listed all of their key bindings, why is this information considered pertinent.

Personally all I look at in an application is that their character is as geared and progressed as we want and I will look over their logs and I feel like this is nearly everything I need to make a decision. With regards to whether someone will fit in socially I don't really care, if their raid performance is of a high enough calibre they will have to go a long way not to fit in. Judging by other guilds application forms my view is in the minority and I would be interested to hear why.
    Last edited by Migraine; 2013-11-20 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Clarification of progression

10+ Year Old Account
    For me, putting effort and detail in an application shows dedication and a desire to actually join my guild. Knowing a fully guild history is always nice to spot guild hoppers in advance. Detail on spec/glyphs/gearing and justification is good for class knowledge. I don't want scrubs to apply to my raid team, I want skilled players with good class knowledge and attendance, ideally with appropriate gear and characters showing general effort has been put in to ensure they are fully optimised.

This is the application template for my guild:
    Quote Originally Posted by Origin Application Form
    Welcome to our forum! If you are planning to apply for a place in our raid team or to join Origin as a social member, then please submit a post in the "Apply Here" subforum, in the format below with as much detail as possible.

To apply, you must first register to our site.

We will usually get back to any application within a few hours initially and then spend a little longer reviewing it. We will endeavour to get confirmation on the acceptance or decline of any application within 3 days of submission, but it should be less than that.

Contact Zabuzan, Malfunction, Vanitas (Team 1 and Guild Officers) or Chipsy, Cephisso Podgertsu (Team 2 Captains) in game for any further information. Feel free to ask any member of Origin to check if an officer is online but on an alt, in the case that neither of us are online on our main characters!

Cheers!
    <Origin>

---------------------------State Whether Team 1 / Team 2 / Social Application-----------------------------
    Personal Information
    Name:

Character Information
    Class:

Main Spec / Off Spec:

Glyph Choices for Each Spec and Why:

Armory Link:

WoW Experience
    Please state your WoW raid experience, including all raiding done in previous expansions and tiers:

Please state your WoW guild history:

Do you have any experience with other specs/alts, do you have any raid ready alts? Please supply armory links for viable alt characters where applicable:

Class Knowledge and Skill
    Do you theorycraft and regardless of that, which are the primary resources you use to keep up to date on all aspects of your spec and/or class:

What is your role within a raid, what benefits do you feel your class specifically may bring with:

What do you feel you personally bring to a raid:

Performance Logs
    A World of Logs (or similar) parse illustrating your personal raiding proficiency is a huge help when reviewing applications - plenty of players have extremely good progression history, but were just boosted by the rest of their team - please link some recent logs if at all possible:

Attendance
    We aim to raid Sunday through Wednesday, from 20:00ST-24:00ST (Team 1) / Wednesday Thursday and Sunday, from 20:15ST-24:00ST (Team 2) and are recruiting players that can maintain a minimum 90% attendance record, so that we don't have to over recruit and can ensure we have a small and skilled core team. Can you uphold this kind of routine?:

Additional Information
    Why have you chosen to apply for Origin over another guild? If you've applied for multiple guilds, please let us know of that too:

Do you know anyone who is currently in guild? Understandably, this is very unlikely in the case of an X-realm applicant:

What are your other interests in WoW; PVP, achievements, alts, gold farming, collecting or anything else!:

Please tell us anything else that might be interesting about yourself in the real world; what do you do with some of your spare time both in and out of WoW?:

--------------------------End of Application---------------------------
    Last edited by Sonnillon; 2013-11-20 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Removed the "bold" from the text.
    <Judge> Alonsus-EU. 6/8M Uldir
    Prot Paladin
    RECRUITING FOR BFA!

I find the whole thing of guild applications basically being job applications a bit silly, but I don't mind yours, short and simply that doesn't feel like you're pretty much applying to a job. I do understand that there are reasons for the intricate applications, especially if you are a very top end guild, though. But even then you have people who over exaggerate themselves, I've done it before.

You don't need all that information to know if a player is good or not, I know it helps but it doesn't tell the whole story. just take them for a spin either in a normal raid, or hell even an LFR now a days, to see if they stand in shit and know what to do/play their class and you would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Migraine View Post
    With regards to whether someone will fit in socially I don't really care, if their raid performance is of a high enough calibre they will have to go a long way not to fit in.
    I'd prefer not to have a team of high performing people that are dicks. For me its almost equal priority between "fit"/ performance in role / raid awareness.

An application should be evaluating all of those 3, not just kickass logs. Of course some people may differ but I raid 9 hours a week too and I couldn't imagine spending that time with high performers who I don't like. Face it, you're 12/14 so hardly cutting edge so taking other stuff into account wouldn't hurt.

There is one thing nobody mentioned that I think is important. At the top of your application, a guild will typically have a pretty long paragraph coaching the applicant on how to fill the application out. In that paragraph, put something similar to this - "In the last field of the application, titled "Any comments?", write the word 'banana' to show that you've actually read this." In my guild, if somebody doesn't fucking write BANANA in the last box I throw their application right in the fucking garbage. If they want to join the guild I expect them to read the goddamn application.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    I'd prefer not to have a team of high performing people that are dicks. For me its almost equal priority between "fit"/ performance in role / raid awareness.

An application should be evaluating all of those 3, not just kickass logs. Of course some people may differ but I raid 9 hours a week too and I couldn't imagine spending that time with high performers who I don't like. Face it, you're 12/14 so hardly cutting edge so taking other stuff into account wouldn't hurt.
    Totally agree with this.
    <Judge> Alonsus-EU. 6/8M Uldir
    Prot Paladin
    RECRUITING FOR BFA!

10+ Year Old Account
    hahaha and people wonder why guilds are dying... it's because stupid shit like applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post

I was of the opinion that a west ranking of 147 wasn't too bad in terms of progress considering the hours that we raid. I may have simplified the fitting in socially, we are a guild of adults most of us a re capable of ignoring someone if we don't particularly like them and I can't remember ever getting a complaint from a member about a another except with regards to raid performance.

Quote Originally Posted by torment3d View Post
    In my guild, if somebody doesn't fucking write BANANA in the last box I throw their application right in the fucking garbage. If they want to join the guild I expect them to read the goddamn application.
    Does you app mention hourly wages and health and vacation benefits ? Sounds like it's serious business, maybe should mention some of the perks to the job they are applying for.

I'm just kidding, couldn't resist

Quote Originally Posted by Migraine View Post
    I was of the opinion that a west ranking of 147 wasn't too bad in terms of progress considering the hours that we raid. I may have simplified the fitting in socially, we are a guild of adults most of us a re capable of ignoring someone if we don't particularly like them and I can't remember ever getting a complaint from a member about a another except with regards to raid performance.
    You said 12/14, not 12/14HC. If you want such limited app's at that level and it works for you then more power to you.

Deleted
    ppl still make guild apps?

15+ Year Old Account
    One thing that helps and may sound silly is asking for a screen shot of there UI while they are in combat in a raid. You would be amazed hwo much you can learn from a app from a simple screen shot.

Is there screen cluttered?
    Do they ahve impoartant CD's hot keyed?
    Do they have DBM set up in an area that they can see easy?
    Do they have there raid frames set up for there role ?

Etc etc

It's just a fast glimps into what they see and how they organise ....it's not a "OMG yoru UI sucks no way" but more or less a toll to use hand in hand with the app to get a better Idea of what you are getting.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    I insist on people actually making an application for a couple of reasons; firstly there is a strong possibility that I am doing something and I don't want to spend several minutes communicating via whisper only for me then to have to relay this information onto the other officers, secondly following on from the first point it allows the other officers chance to see the applicant aswell.

10+ Year Old Account
    My guilds one is similar to Zabuzan's, with a 'hidden' question like torment's.

It's a lot different for 25mans than it is for 10s. 10, you expect the same 10 people to be there every raid night, and you deal with pugs if one isn't. In 25 though, you need that order and structure, otherwise it will just fall apart in every possible crack. On a fight like Sha of Pride H, you need everyone to be completely capable, otherwise rifts don't get closed, prisons don't get released, people hit 100 pride, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    hahaha and people wonder why guilds are dying... it's because stupid shit like applications.
    How are guilds meant to find the right people without an application? :S
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    Yessir. Seems a decent place to start when determining if they player's expectations and guild's expectations are compatible.

Comments like this one are often followed up with "Just get them in vent". A vent interview is really the same thing. Choice of medium.

The more serious the guild, the longer and more detailed the application. You are 12/14 sooo not that serious, hence why your app is shorter and different from more serious raiding guilds. Could you really not work that out on your own? It's the same as a leveling guild spamming trade has NO app process, they are not a serious progression guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    How are guilds meant to find the right people without an application? :S
    ask shit ingame, run a trial raid, see how the player is doing... ofc it could be facilitated by blizzard too... via an ingame application tool that is actually decent.

me and my friend in tbc(me hunter, him rogue) caused our new guild's class leaders to quit the guild... after they denied our applications due to lack of raiding experience we seeked the GM ingame and aksed him to join a pug with us and after the run he invited us to the guild ... the first raid we proceeded to mop the floor with both the hunter class leader and the rogue one... and they left mid raid... just gquit during the last boss fight.

That's when we stopped doing applications and instead spoke to the GM's directly to go on pugs with us on trial runs.

sadly we are both a shell of our former selves now...
    Last edited by Skorpionss; 2013-11-20 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Odina View Post
    One thing that helps and may sound silly is asking for a screen shot of there UI while they are in combat in a raid. You would be amazed hwo much you can learn from a app from a simple screen shot.

Is there screen cluttered?
    Do they ahve impoartant CD's hot keyed?
    Do they have DBM set up in an area that they can see easy?
    Do they have there raid frames set up for there role ?

Etc etc

It's just a fast glimps into what they see and how they organise ....it's not a "OMG yoru UI sucks no way" but more or less a toll to use hand in hand with the app to get a better Idea of what you are getting.
    It's not a bad idea actually, cd usuage etc. I normally get from logs, it is something that we used to have on our old form I may put it back in there, I just can't remember ever declining an app based on a screenshot and that is one of the reasons I left it out. All of your points are valid however.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinsoul View Post
    Yessir. Seems a decent place to start when determining if they player's expectations and guild's expectations are compatible.

Comments like this one are often followed up with "Just get them in vent". A vent interview is really the same thing. Choice of medium.
    I prefer trial run(s) to big guild applications/interviews, you actually get to see if they really know fights/their class. Simply filling out some application putting in whatever you know the guild wants to hear is nothing new.