Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

I did not see this coming (Sarcastic)

Now that Blizzard is making the heirlooms truly xrealms, is it not odd, that suddenly they have the tech to do it In-Game, via the mail tool?

Honestly, I think they could have done it for a LONG time, but it just has been too good source of income to them.

"In the latest 5.4.2 PTR build, we are testing the new ability to mail account-bound items to other characters on your account that may be on different servers. Notably, this should allow you to move heirlooms between servers, in advance of our planned Warlords changes that will make them fully account-wide.

Sending this sort of mail should work like any cross-server communication: You send the item to "Playername-Servername" and it should otherwise work like regular mail. Note that you can only send account-bound items, and not other items or gold.

Example: I have a character, Thrall, on the Benedictus server. I want to send my heirloom mace to my alt, Durotan, on the Lycanthoth server. I'd log in as Thrall, and attach the mace to a mail addressed to "Durotan-Lycanthoth" and hit send."

"Oh noes! Blizzard did something that makes our lives easier! I better complain about this!" (Also sarcastic)

I don't get your point.

i was thinking the same about cross realms during vanilla (more sarcastic)

If it wás a good source of income, why would they abandon that source of income. Nothing has changed there.

While I believe you are right about your claim that they did have the tech before... (or could have gotten it easily), I doubt it has anything to do with a source of income. Because they could still have that source of income if they did not do this.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezminion View Post
    Now that Blizzard is making the heirlooms truly xrealms, is it not odd, that suddenly they have the tech to do it In-Game, via the mail tool?

Honestly, I think they could have done it for a LONG time, but it just has been too good source of income to them.

"In the latest 5.4.2 PTR build, we are testing the new ability to mail account-bound items to other characters on your account that may be on different servers. Notably, this should allow you to move heirlooms between servers, in advance of our planned Warlords changes that will make them fully account-wide.

Sending this sort of mail should work like any cross-server communication: You send the item to "Playername-Servername" and it should otherwise work like regular mail. Note that you can only send account-bound items, and not other items or gold.

Example: I have a character, Thrall, on the Benedictus server. I want to send my heirloom mace to my alt, Durotan, on the Lycanthoth server. I'd log in as Thrall, and attach the mace to a mail addressed to "Durotan-Lycanthoth" and hit send."
    As much as I love rampant distrust of Blizzard, gonna side with them this time. Could they have done it a while ago? Yes, but it would have taken a ton of work. Now it is easier because cross realm and connected realms have laid most of the groundwork.

I'd imagine the tech is available now because of Connected Realms, not your grand conspiracy

I don;t see why Blizzard give us anything...people just whine every time they give us things we ask for.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynneiah View Post
    "Oh noes! Blizzard did something that makes our lives easier! I better complain about this!" (Also sarcastic)
    Yeah you're basically doing this OP. Now here's your [Tinfoil Hat of idiocy]. Wear it with pride.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    While I believe you are right about your claim that they did have the tech before... (or could have gotten it easily), I doubt it has anything to do with a source of income. Because they could still have that source of income if they did not do this.
    I doubt that they had it. Easily created I can't honestly say. If it is, clearly not a high priority feature for MoP. You can't build out every feature you want to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

Amazing change that I wasn't expecting from WoD and really wasn't expecting them to do something like this pre expansion. It does spark my interest to resub more often to play alts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus, does anything make people happy??!

I'm happy to see this. I'm glad to be able to mail them ahead of time if I choose to. The playerbase has been desiring this for years and when it's finally here, everyone wants to grab a pitchfork. Ridiculous. This community is disgustingly toxic.

Speaking from and IT perspective. Just because one piece can do something does not mean all pieces can do something. Your statement suggests that this was available before but not implemented because they wanted to get more cash grab from realm transfers. That more than likely is not the case either code wise or hardware wise.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they'd been able to introduce it a long time ago, why did they not just do it with realm coalescence? How much do you think they actually made from people transfering characters just for their heirlooms?

Deleted
    Shouldn't it have been implemented at the very beginning?

Quote Originally Posted by Dezminion View Post

There are times when you have the technology, but it's not easy or pretty to implement and the chance for more problems to pop up. Sometimes, they could probably spend more time working on it, but there just isn't enough need to justify the time spent. Then later with various other upgrades and improvments, what was once a difficult task becomes fairly easy. Look at CGI rendering as an example, could you do it 20 years ago? yes, very expensive and time consuming. Now look it today, much cheaper and faster and you can do it at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrllish View Post
    Amazing change that I wasn't expecting from WoD and really wasn't expecting them to do something like this pre expansion.
    Their timing does seem weird, if all they cared about was making money. They could've just as easily not done this until 6.0, and kept making money off of it, but instead they implemented it anyway.

So, account-bound items. The timeless isle items should work, too, right? (Probably a stupid question, sorry.)

Quote Originally Posted by DPG View Post
    So, account-bound items. The timeless isle items should work, too, right? (Probably a stupid question, sorry.)
    If the Blue post said 'account-bound', there's no reason to assume it didn't mean 'account-bound'.

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They said for years that its a hardware limitation that prevents cross-server mailing. Because realms are being merged it does allow it without huge changes to hardware. I'd not expect this to be a stepping stone toward full cross-realm mailing because that limitation still exists and would take too much time to fix.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch