Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Abstieg View Post
    Blizzard decides to implement a version of a new awesome feature coming in WoD ahead of time, gets accused of waiting to make a profit.
    You know how spiderwebs collect debris (leaves, twigs, etc) over time? Its like the internet collects much of the world's stupid in one place. Maybe that's why they call it the world wide web...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I don't see your point to be honest. Why implement it at all, if transfer money was the reason behind not making it happen?
    Exactly. If we go by the OP's ass-backwards logic, I guess Blizzard got tired of making extra money? lol?

Most days I just kind of roll my eyes at the idiotic comments I see on forums and keep going... but this topic is one of such spectacular levels of stupid that I felt compelled to comment.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2013-11-20 at 07:22 PM.

Well, I guess he is right, in the sense that it's all about money.

The most profitable thing: satisfied, repeat customers. I know having working x-realm mail will increase MY satisfaction. I have heirlooms, BoA armor tokens and acheology weapons piled up on the wrong servers from where I want them to be.

Deleted
    Or it could be the tech which allows them to say that these will be truly cross realm feature in WoD is already in place and that the upcoming WoD changes are more of a UI update to reflect the improved current tech. But, nah, let's go with the option that money hungry Blizzard have been sitting on a cash cow which they are only now reluctantly giving up for nebulous reasons at best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Jesus, does anything make people happy??!

I'm happy to see this. I'm glad to be able to mail them ahead of time if I choose to. The playerbase has been desiring this for years and when it's finally here, everyone wants to grab a pitchfork. Ridiculous. This community is disgustingly toxic.
    Sadly, there will always be someone who will criticize EVERYTHING, including things done the right way. They'd bitch if they had to spend a night at the Playboy mansion, likely for not being able to log into a game they bitch about anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    If it wás a good source of income, why would they abandon that source of income. Nothing has changed there.

While I believe you are right about your claim that they did have the tech before... (or could have gotten it easily), I doubt it has anything to do with a source of income. Because they could still have that source of income if they did not do this.
    Actually something significant has changed. Connected realms has made it possible for players to have more than 11 characters (22 to 50 depending on how many realms are connected to each other) who are connected in every way including mailing, heirlooms, gold, etc. This has made the idea of charging players money to do transfers untenable. You can't have one part of the subscriber base able to freely transfer items between more than 11 characters while charging the rest of the subscriber base for these same transfers because they aren't on connected realms.

Blizzard had to offer the ability to mail heirlooms. This still leaves other transferable items and gold which should also be available for transfer although the gold seller issue needs to be resolved with regard to that. The day of Blizzard charging for server transfers should be over soon.

Just excited to be able to get my skyshards off my old server (which wouldn't have been covered with the heirloom tab coming in 6.0).

I've gotta side with the OP. I wish Blizzard just made this game perfect from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyraena View Post
    Just excited to be able to get my skyshards off my old server (which wouldn't have been covered with the heirloom tab coming in 6.0).
    Oh, hey! This hadn't even occurred to me.

I'll still need two more shards though...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stellan View Post
    Actually something significant has changed. Connected realms has made it possible for players to have more than 11 characters (22 to 50 depending on how many realms are connected to each other) who are connected in every way including mailing, heirlooms, gold, etc. This has made the idea of charging players money to do transfers untenable. You can't have one part of the subscriber base able to freely transfer items between more than 11 characters while charging the rest of the subscriber base for these same transfers because they aren't on connected realms.
    Potentially true although I disagree with that last sentence. If you have toons scattered around on multiple servers there's no certainty or guarantee that the servers they are on will be connected to another server where you have your main or other alts. It's a bonus of course when it is but people that want to migrate their toons to a central place will mostly still be required to pay to transfer them to their realm, connected or otherwise. The whole one grand PVE realm thing may happen eventually but probably not any time in the foreseeable future.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

How were they making money off of it? Last month I transferred to a new realm and realized I forgot an heirloom on my other realm. I sent in a ticket and they had to take time from helping people with actual problems to give me my heirloom back.

Quote Originally Posted by Darmalus View Post
    Considering you just accused thousands of posters of being toxic based on one person's post, you might be part of the problem.
    Obviously this judgment on Darsithis' part is not based on a single post. Pretty stupid of you to suggest it is when you can't possibly actually think that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Simple:

Allowing players to mail hierlooms by itself wouldn't be a very high priority feature in Blizzards view, but when larger projects such as blurring the lines between servers and bringing the entire Hierloom system to the account-wide level for an expansion launch create the opportunity to have it working as a side effect, they've decided to test an implementation early as a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimson View Post
    Obviously the tech was, and is, available. The issue was the cost of implementation, which is undoubtedly more complicated than you suggest.

Is there really that many people transferring characters simply for heirlooms in the first place? I doubt it's a huge cash cow for Bliz.
    Cost of implementation for that?. I would estimate a maximum of 10.000 euros, and I'm (very) generous here. The problem is how much would they have lost if they implemented that when the "account bound" thing was introduced. I'd say millions. Many of them. There was a thread on the EU forums for years, and they were occasionally saying the shit about "the tech"

You doubt that was a cash cow? Well, personally I transferred 3 times for exactly that purpose

They patched in an ability that previously wasn't available. So? they kinda add new features or change old ones all the time. Here's a secret *not everything can be done instantly* GASP
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

It's not about "instantly". People were (for good reason, like they are bind on account and don't want to spend 20 bucks on a transfer) asking for this for 3 YEARS. THREE. YEARS

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...8672093?page=1

Sure I'm not sad about the feature, but it's not one of those cases "the developers are listening to their customers"

Quote Originally Posted by Dezminion View Post
    Now that Blizzard is making the heirlooms truly xrealms, is it not odd, that suddenly they have the tech to do it In-Game, via the mail tool?

Honestly, I think they could have done it for a LONG time, but it just has been too good source of income to them.

"In the latest 5.4.2 PTR build, we are testing the new ability to mail account-bound items to other characters on your account that may be on different servers. Notably, this should allow you to move heirlooms between servers, in advance of our planned Warlords changes that will make them fully account-wide.

Sending this sort of mail should work like any cross-server communication: You send the item to "Playername-Servername" and it should otherwise work like regular mail. Note that you can only send account-bound items, and not other items or gold.

Example: I have a character, Thrall, on the Benedictus server. I want to send my heirloom mace to my alt, Durotan, on the Lycanthoth server. I'd log in as Thrall, and attach the mace to a mail addressed to "Durotan-Lycanthoth" and hit send."

While I don't doubt that they could have done it a long time ago, I wouldn't think that this timing has anything to do with it. It just seems like kind of a random time. Honestly I figured they would just wait for the new tab in WoD. So I'm not really sure why that was such a big announcement during the feature introduction of WoD.. if we're just getting it in a patch. (I'm glad for that.) But I don't understand why they didn't get this together sooner, and I'm glad they're hopefully doing it before the WoD prepatch even though I don't have any insane desire to level another character anytime soon.

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cptaylor38 View Post
    Honestly I figured they would just wait for the new tab in WoD.
    I imagine that this is some kind of pre-test of the technology they'll be using for that tab in the future while giving us a much-requested feature in the process.
    Butts.

Good. Now I can finally send those couple of heirlooms over to my horde toons, which have been collecting dust on my ally characters for a couple of years.

As for the OP... well, his kind is why we can't have nice things.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Jesus, does anything make people happy??!

I'm happy to see this. I'm glad to be able to mail them ahead of time if I choose to. The playerbase has been desiring this for years and when it's finally here, everyone wants to grab a pitchfork. Ridiculous. This community is disgustingly toxic.
    You seriously haven't seem to realize that ever since mid-Wrath didn't you after the fall of the community didn't you? Whatever blizzard does, there must be that 1 person out there somewhere, hiding in his basement, starting rant threads about how X of the new things ruin WoW and doesn't do any good. And for clarification that person is not me :P. Honestly this is a long awaited feature since I no longer have to pay extra money for migrating a lvl 1 char to move heirlooms for me to level another alt on a different realm.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickname View Post
    I don;t see why Blizzard give us anything...people just whine every time they give us things we ask for.
    They don't give us anything. We pay for it. Don't ever forget that.