Adjusting to a new controller?

Hey everyone! My ps4 finally came in today...and I am in love with almost everything.

The only issue im having is i went from a 360 controller to this...and the way im holding the controller seems to put pain in my index finger.

Currently, I use my left index finger for l2...but that seems to cause pain after a while.

Ive debated switching my index finger to l1 and middle to l2...however, that means my thumb for the most part slides over the stick.

Has anyone ever adjusted to a new controller? Started with pain and ended up getting used to it or adjusting completely?

10+ Year Old Account
    You're not supposed to feel pain while playing. :/

I usually leave both my index fingers relaxed behind the controller, and only move it to the triggers (L1~R2) when I need to press them. I don't leave my finger over L1 all the time.

Grats on the new console. I haven't experienced pain on my PS3 controller while I primarily use the 360. I'm trying to remember how I usually use it. Crap, cant remember. Google images make it look like people use index finger for both R1 and R2.

The PS4 controller honestly feels too big after using the PS3 controller for so long.

I also have tiny hands but that's besides the point...
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm one of the weird ones, but I hold it so my index is on R1 / L1, Middle on R2 / L2 at the same time. The controller end rests a bit where the terrible photoshop red square + hand from google image rests.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I'm one of the weird ones, but I hold it so my index is on R1 / L1, Middle on R2 / L2 at the same time. The controller end rests a bit where the terrible photoshop red square + hand from google image rests.

Wait...

Is that NOT how you're supposed to hold it? That's how I've done it ever since the PS1...
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

oh right, i know youre not supposed to feel pain. Id say it's similar to the pain of using a new grip on a mouse or a keyboard for an extended period of time. It's not like a splinter pain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Wait...

Is that NOT how you're supposed to hold it? That's how I've done it ever since the PS1...
    Most people apparently don't. It's how I've been holding it, so /shrug. Works for me, don't know about others.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could never get used to the N64 controller. I have kind of short pinkies, so Guitar Hero controllers used to hurt after a while, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most people apparently don't. It's how I've been holding it, so /shrug. Works for me, don't know about others.
    but... If they don't hold it that way... how do they all press the buttons?

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

I used to game like 24/7 Socom/Halo for over a decade on console and everything else in between. Pain in your hands while holding controllers is due to you stressing your hands out by gripping the controller too hard. You're probably doing this because you aren't used to it and you're tensing up as if you anticipate dropping it if you realize it or not. You have to relax when you hold it otherwise you get maybe a few hours before it hurts.

Thats so uncomfortable, i cant really hold the controller steady if my middle fingers are on the trigger buttons, its slipping downwards. I have soft hands =)

but... If they don't hold it that way... how do they all press the buttons?
    And i havent really played a game that requires you to press all 4 buttons at the same time =/ Or 2 buttons on the same side/time
    Last edited by Yizu; 2013-11-21 at 12:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yizu View Post
    And i havent really played a game that requires you to press all 4 buttons at the same time =/ Or 2 buttons on the same side/time
    Fair enough, I used to be obsessed with fighting games and I would bind all four shoulder buttons to various combo, to make doing things like throws easier

I think I've had the same problem with my index finger, I find when using L2 a lot in a game my hand starts to strain after a while and it gets quite painful ): Never had the problem with a 360 controller which I feel fits more comfortably in my hands.

You'll probably find after some use you'll start to get used to it and your hand will get stronger, or you could try to change your grip which would probably be more beneficial in the long run.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is why you should've tried the god-awful design of PS-controllers before buying a PS4. There is a reason a group of people stick with Xbox where you can actually hold your controller right.

10+ Year Old Account
    but... If they don't hold it that way... how do they all press the buttons? [...] I used to be obsessed with fighting games and I would bind all four shoulder buttons to various combos...
    I use an arcade stick.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yizu View Post
    Thats so uncomfortable, i cant really hold the controller steady if my middle fingers are on the trigger buttons, its slipping downwards. I have soft hands =)

Yeah, it's just something that works for me.

Amusingly for FFXIV, it makes switching between hot bars and cast way faster being able to use R1 / R2 or L1 / L2 at the same time. Useful in dark souls with your shield for block and parry, and such.
    Just something comfortable for me and works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outofmana View Post
    This is why you should've tried the god-awful design of PS-controllers before buying a PS4. There is a reason a group of people stick with Xbox where you can actually hold your controller right.
    and the xbox controller on the other hand is absolutely uncomfortable as hell for me. This will and always will be a subjective thing.
    I personally had to switch the 360 controller out and use xpadder with DS4 when playing with my brother cause it was just too damn uncomfortable.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2013-11-21 at 04:39 PM.