Are there good communities?

I hear so many people being mad over the community of several games.
    Maybe we're all just bad people?

I try to be nice to others, and ignore anyone I think is being overly rude/toxic. All in all, I think people complain too much about the communities, instead of trying to solve the issue in whatever way they can.

Not saying I disagree with some outlooks, but I see it as a vicious cycle. The moment you start trash talking and such, is the moment things just seem to go down hill. If you keep your hope up, and treat everyone with respect, you'll eventually notice a shift in a similar direction.

This perspective is someone who used to play WoW for about eight years, play SC2/WC3 on occasion, and play LoL daily. I don't know if that helps give any insight or not.
    Last edited by lazypeon100; 2013-11-20 at 09:05 PM.

most popular games are bad.

Gamers on the whole are assholes hiding behind anonymity of the pc screen. Each community has good people, it's all about finding them and wading through the nobheads

Its just popularity, the worst people usually are the loudest. WoW has moments where people are super awesome, then it has moments where I feel like its filled with teens going through puberty.

Just the other day I asked for help on where a flight path was. (first time ever playing a high level horde character.) and some guy helped me in a super nice way, then some other guy insulted said person who helped me and they burst into argument. Was the best of both worlds.

10+ Year Old Account
    The place to find a good community in WoW is a guild. It can take several shots at it and some time but it's well worth the effort.

To a lesser extent, RP realms have decent communities as well.

The simple fact is that the larger a group of people is the more likely there will be someone who's a problem.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    The place to find a good community in WoW is a guild. It can take several shots at it and some time but it's well worth the effort.

To a lesser extent, RP realms have decent communities as well.

The simple fact is that the larger a group of people is the more likely there will be someone who's a problem.
    I can definitely agree RP servers have a better community, they are more mature. They have their moments still though.

Also agree guilds are the best place to find people, especially family oriented guilds or casual guilds.

Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    most popular games are bad.

Gamers on the whole are assholes hiding behind anonymity of the pc screen. Each community has good people, it's all about finding them and wading through the nobheads
    Pretty much this. People + internet = lots of trolls and a-holes.

Immature people are usually the loudest, that's why they get more exposure. There are plenty of good people online, you just have to know where to look, and cherish your friendships with them.

I play on an RP server. There was a time that next to our guild, the server's population felt like a community, and a pretty good one at that; there was some control, there was a reputation to have or loose. But once LFD and LFR and shared areas came into effect, the communitysense of the server felt gone; the guild community atmosphere is still there.

In the context of WoW, I always found helping people out whenever possible seemed like a good way to avoid awful people. Sure, you'll get some bad apples wherever you go, and they will likely stick out in your mind. But I found helping others a lot, helped make more good natured people gravitate towards me/those I chose to play with.

I still believe that the whole thing about server community being dead to be a myth as well. It's not nearly as tight knit as it used to be, but I've had many instances where someone would try to start up an argument with me and I'd have people defend me before I could even say anything, some of whom I never met before. What comes around goes around as they say.

I try to be as nice as possible to balance out the bad in games, but it usually backfires.
    I have friends with no brain to mouth (or brain to keyboard) filters or lack any real etiquette, online or in real life, and it embarrasses me sometimes when they're complete assholes to people, especially when I call them out on it and they don't even realize they've done anything wrong. It's people like my friends that ruin the fun in games, at least in my opinion.
    I apologize on the behalf of every asshole on the internet because I know they won't.
    Last edited by DPG; 2013-11-20 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Spelling, though it's evident in my quoted post below that I cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by DPG View Post
    I try to be as nice as possible to balance out the bad in games, but it usually backfires.
    I have friends with no brain to mouth (or brain to keyboard) filters or lack any real etiquette, online or in real life, and it embarrasses me sometimes when they're complete assholes to people, especially when I call them out on it and they don't even realize they've done anything wrong. It's people like my friends that ruin the fun in games, at least in my opinion.
    I apology on the behalf of every asshole on the internet because I know they won't.
    I have a similar situation with someone I know. I have a group of friends I play with on a daily basis, and we normally keep to ourselves if we play something like LoL, however one of our friends has a cousin who also plays with us who is extremely rude/intolerant of others. We put up with him cause he's our buddie's cousin but... it's kind of difficult for me to want to play if he's around =/. Kills the fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play with a pretty good one, catch is... it's also a very small community. "Small town" kind of affect I guess, other people aren't simply strangers to be rude to at will, you might actually need them again later.