Thumbs up My Time Away - I Realized How Great WoW Was

Usually when I take a break from WoW, I don't play anything and I focus on other things. This time however, I wanted to quit for good and play other games. Let's just say, in doing that, I learned how great and well developed this game actually is.

Games I Tried: (Found a lot of them through online best MMO lists)

Age of Conan
    Aion
    APB Reloaded
    Command and Conquer (Old school.. up to Generals)
    DC Universe Online
    Dota 2
    Dragon Nest
    Dungeons and Dragons Online
    Everquest II
    Global Agenda
    LoL
    LOTRO
    Neverwinter
    Path of Exile
    Planetside 2
    Rift
    Runes of Magic
    Star Trek Online
    SWTOR
    TERA

Now, while some of these (and I mean only a few of them) were fun to play at first and had their own little quirks that made them fun, they just don't compare up to WoW. They don't match up in terms of options, features or gameplay. The only thing that some of these games has over WoW is the environments look realistic but truth be told, it looks weird. The gameplay looks weird when you have realistic looking environments and flashy spells everywhere (it just doesn't work for me).

I will say, the most frustrating game I played hands down was without a doubt League of Legends. This game was beyond frustrating to me... Every game pretty much boiled down to this:

People arguing before the game starts about who's going what role
    People arguing about other people's builds, name-calling, etc
    People complaining to their jungler because they're not at three places at once
    The list goes on and on but this is by far the worst community of people I had ever met. The people were such try hards, it was frustrating. If you think the 300k DPS in LFR linking the meters every pull is a try hard, I urge you to try out LoL and that guy won't seem so bad.

WoW is pretty damn polished up and well developed compared to pretty much every game I tried out there.

I know a lot of people think Blizzard doesn't listen to the community but oh boy... they listen a lot better than the games I tried. The only game I found with a great development team that care was Path of Exile and I wasn't into it.

Path of Exile is a decent game for the budget it was made on but there are Kripp fanboys ravaging that game... that community was pretty good before his fans got a hold of it. When Kripp isn't streaming, they go into every other stream marked PoE and just tear apart the streamer, what their build is, etc. I thought Sodapoppin by far had the worst fanbase but Kripp's definitely sets them apart.

TLR - WoW is a great game once you take some time away from the game and realize how poorly most other MMOs and online games are made. Plus, the community is FAR better than say.. LoL. WoW's pretty good and WoD looks amazing so far from what we've seen.

Pretty much this. If you don't enjoy wow anymore you're gonna have some pretty huge shoes to fill to find a MMO up to that standard. I've tried most of those games and i agree, most of them where terrible. Some of them where fun for a little while, but got really repetitive and boring after a little while. I play League of Legends on a regular basis though, what i found easiest was just ignoring everyone at the start of the game so i could focus on my own gameplay, instead of reading the constant whining in the chat. You can still see pings and stuff so, not really a huge downside to it.
    Valar Morghulis

if you want good community I hear EVE has a great one, I never was interested enough to buy the game tho... (what I saw from the community was pretty good). Another game with good community is Galcon, small community, some trolls but they're not too bad :P

But yeah, if you get used to WoW, it might take some time to adjust to other game's styles.

There's nothing wrong with playing other games. Hell, its probably a good idea, it stops you from becoming too bored of and jaded about WoW.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Well.
    I played since day one, but I unsubbed about a month ago.

Wow surely is the best of its kind, but I think I grew tired to mmos in general.
    No matter how many new expansions may be coming out, it's always the same.

Level up to max - aquire gear - get better gear - and even better gear - do the same dailies every day - get the ultimately best gear possible -reset

That grew so stale to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Harthmut View Post
    Well.
    I played since day one, but I unsubbed about a month ago.

Wow surely is the best of its kind, but I think I grew tired to mmos in general.
    No matter how many new expansions may be coming out, it's always the same.

Level up to max - aquire gear - get better gear - and even better gear - do the same dailies every day - get the ultimately best gear possible -reset

That grew so stale to me.
    Thats why people who dont enjoy the lore, setting, sights and sounds... will eventually burn out. If your gear is all you play for, you're gonna be pretty desillusioned in the end.
    This is the main reason I encourage interest in the lore / ongoing story amongst my guildies. It breeds an investment in the game that goes beyond the pixels, which is important for longetivity.

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my comrade." - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    Thats why people who dont enjoy the lore, setting, sights and sounds... will eventually burn out. If your gear is all you play for, you're gonna be pretty desillusioned in the end.
    This is the main reason I encourage interest in the lore / ongoing story amongst my guildies. It breeds an investment in the game that goes beyond the pixels, which is important for longetivity.
    Oh don't get me wrong!
    I'm a huge warcraft lore nerd since warcraft 2 but to be honest, the lore has been fucked over too many times for me to actually care about as much as I used to.

I'm not evrn talking about retconning the draenei or something, no.
    It's just more stuff like overly centralizing the overall story on the horde, especially orcs and trolls.
    Every x-pac had at least one raid/instance and/or zones based on trolls, orcs getting one cool entrance after the other etc.
    Most cool human characters are either turning evil, become forgotten or simply die straight away.
    All races besides orcs, trolls and humans are ignored mostly, especially gnomes, tauren and blood elves.

I love the horde, but I want the horde to have a worthy rival in the Alliance, not some school boys to push around.

Besides that, we slew so many major bad guys, that we literally go back in time to fight tough guys who should be dead or too old to fight.
    Illidan, Arthas, Deathwing, Kael'thas, Lady Vashj, Kil'jaeden to some extent, Malygos, all slain by a bunch of nameless adventurers who don't have ANY place whatsoever in the lore at all.

Then there's all the stuff happening outside of the game, in the books and comics we have to pay for to fully grasp what's happening in the game...
    Well, sure the story still is kinda interesting but still, it is served chunk by chunk with months of repetitive tasks to fulfill like raiding and questing which make question the 13 €/$ i spent on that game for so long.

I didnt have to try any other MMOs while on a 2 year "break" from WoW to know that it was a very good game. I just didn't agree with the pandas and had no interest in Asian settings and the huge numbers made things much too hard to follow as well so I decided to skip MoP.

WoW is a great game but unfortunately it has its flaws and theyre starting to pile up.. and it's age is showing too. On one hand I loved the low requirements when I played it back in high school on a computer that couldn't even run 1080p movies but now I have a decent PC and after playing a bunch or modern games with better graphics/physics/mechanics, WoW does feel like a relic from times before man sometimes.