Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Harry Reid finally grows a pair of balls

Democrats rejoice!! Finally the majority party will not be pissed on by the minority party. He better go through with it because Democrats are losing their minds right now with the constant games

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...day/?hpt=hp_t2

I'll celebrate when he actually does it.

10+ Year Old Account
    This would be a terrible mistake for them to make, because in 2014, after the vast majority of the country has been screwed over by the ACA, the Dems will have a hard time maintaining their majority in the Senate, which will mean they won't be able to change the rule back to stop Republicans from ramming through anything and everything they want.
    If a fat kid falls in the forrest and no one is around do the trees laugh?
    You're an insignificant speck of a person sitting on an insignificant speck of a world orbiting an insignificant speck of a star in an insignificant speck of a galaxy. Literally, no one cares what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Callous1970 View Post
    This would be a terrible mistake for them to make, because in 2014, after the vast majority of the country has been screwed over by the ACA, the Dems will have a hard time maintaining their majority in the Senate, which will mean they won't be able to change the rule back to stop Republicans from ramming through anything and everything they want.
    Or the Republicans would just change it anyway and proceed with aforementioned ramming.

We'd still have Obama vetoing the shit out of everything though, unless the Republicans can muster a veto-proof majority which seems highly unlikely to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's all remember this thread for when the Republicans get control of the Senate again and decide "hey, if they can do it so can we." Lots of teeth will be gnashed I'm sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    Let's all remember this thread for when the Republicans get control of the Senate again and decide "hey, if they can do it so can we." Lots of teeth will be gnashed I'm sure.
    And this is exactly why neither party has done it over the years. Control does flip, and when you're in the minority you want the ability to slow the whole thing down.
    You're an insignificant speck of a person sitting on an insignificant speck of a world orbiting an insignificant speck of a star in an insignificant speck of a galaxy. Literally, no one cares what you think.

Didn't the Republicans already make rules changes in the House? This basically is an "if they can do it so can we" moment right here.

If they don't have any compunctions with changing rules in one house to benefit themselves, why should the Democrats do any different in the other house?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm tired of this "nuclear option" crap. The Senate was designed to use the "simple majority" to vote on anything. I just hope Reid doesn't sit on his balls like McConnell has done several times.

And this is exactly why neither party has done it over the years. Control does flip, and when you're in the minority you want the ability to slow the whole thing down.
    But the level of filibusters are unprecedented. The Tea Party really wants nothing getting done, and since the filibuster is so broken they don't even have to work to shut everything down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    I'm tired of this "nuclear option" crap. The Senate was designed to use the "simple majority" to vote on anything. I just hope Reid doesn't sit on his balls like McConnell has done several times.
    No, the Senate first and foremost was designed to represent the rights of the states, which is why originally Senators were elected by State Legislatures. They changed to being popularly elected with the 17th Amendment, which I always considered a mistake. But the Senate has always been called the Delibrative Body because it has always required more than a simple majority to pass things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, can I borrow that crystal ball? I'm gonna go buy a lottery ticket, and I'd love to see the winning numbers.

More on point, the ACA was the result of trying to play nice with the Republicans in the first place. Originally it was going to be a single-payer option like pretty much the rest of the modern civilized world has, but it got revised until it was essentially the same thing as Romney's health care plan Massachusetts put in place. Furthermore, by making it illegal for health insurance companies to deny coverage on the basis of pre-existing conditions (of which, apparently, chronic depression counted judging by my attempts to get health coverage from a good six different providers), at minimum thousands of Americans can now actually get health coverage and not have to choose between rent, food, and going to the doctor.

So I really do hope Reid goes nuclear. I'm no fan of the Democrats, who are hardly left enough, but to be frank, I'm sick and tired of what used to be a center-right party being co-opted by far-right extremists who shit a brick over anything remotely close to the government providing for anyone but the rich.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    But the level of filibusters are unprecedented. The Tea Party really wants nothing getting done, and since the filibuster is so broken they don't even have to work to shut everything down.
    The only reason the Dems didn't filibuster like this when Bush was President and the Republicans had majorities in both houses was because Bush didn't nominate the most radical right wing nuts to the courts and federal positions that required Senate approval. Obama is nominating some really left wing radicals, and its the Senate's job to moderate that crap.

But the Senate has always been called the Delibrative Body because it has always required more than a simple majority to pass things.
    It only required a simple majority unless a dude would stand up and talk for hours, not just pick up the phone and shut everything down with a single word.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Democrats rejoice!! Finally the majority party will not be pissed on by the minority party. He better go through with it because Democrats are losing their minds right now with the constant games

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...day/?hpt=hp_t2

Funny how you say this, but when Bush was president and the senate was considering the nuclear option, you were probably with all the democrats lambasting them about how they make their own rules to ram conservative judges through.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/7384708/#.Uo4qtsRDugs

And in fact Harry Reid was one of the main people calling it absurd and ridiculous to use the nuclear option, and now HE is the one threatening to use it. What a damn hypocrite
    Last edited by Orlong; 2013-11-21 at 03:49 PM.

The only reason the Dems didn't filibuster like this when Bush was President and the Republicans had majorities in both houses was because Bush didn't nominate the most radical right wing nuts to the courts and federal positions that required Senate approval. Obama is nominating some really left wing radicals, and its the Senate's job to moderate that crap.
    "Left wing radicals" and Obama? I'm sorry but I find this humorous.

"Reid's plan would scrap the (minority party)'s ability to filibuster executive branch nominees and judges, but exclude U.S. Supreme Court nominees"

It isn't about bills. That being said, the US House operates by a simple majority and look what happens to the bills the republicans ram through there. If the other branches of government don't like something it can be tabled/veto'ed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Republicans already changed a filibuster to be a procedural vote and have claimed that a simple majority is a nuclear option. Republicans have been using the filibuster as a propaganda tool and not it's actual intent. It wasn't that far ago, that Cruz filibustered republicans own bill, with the intent of grandstanding and not actually stopping the bill. Similarly, it let Mitch McConnell procedurally filibuster his own bill, without the burden of having to explain why a bill he proposed an hour ago is now filibustered by it's author.

I don't think you have to wait for them to win anything...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    But the Senate has always been called the Deliberative Body because it has always required more than a simple majority to pass things.
    Always? The first filibuster didn't even occur until 1837, when the Whigs tried it.

And the three-fifths vote thing didn't even exist until 1917.

I think maybe we should send your state an aid package full of history books containing actual facts.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Republicans threatened this back in 2004 when they had the majority. It can be put back in place as soon as it taken away. YOU CANNOT ABUSE this shit constantly and play fucking games with the US Constitution.

They are making a joke out of a serious body that affects peoples lives. Lindsey Graham is doing this shit to win a primary in South Carolina by trying to look tough on Obama.