Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I did it at 491; if you're just starting for the first time take a few Purification Potions and learn the ebb and flow of the fight. It's just one big repeating loop over and over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jabulaniman View Post
    WHY did you die?

Ok, new record: reached 50% Hp, only Imps. Played 2 hours straight, then my brain just shut down. Exhausting.

But DEFINETELY getting there.

What killed me was stupid: I didnt know Portal despawns after 6 minutes. Got Chaos Bolted, portal was gone. FML.

Also, it seems that half the time Kan puts on TWO Curses of Ultimate Doom, putting the timer on 14 minutes, not giving me any need to Purificate.
    You should try using the imps to generate embers instead of AoEing them down as fast as possible. Just FnB immolate + Rain of Fire them and spam Chaos Bolt on the boss. Also try to land a Chaos Bolt or two whenever you stun the boss for double damage.

Aside from that, I suggest taking a look at the Destruction sticky because your dps is way lower than it should be with that ilvl. It might also wise to get your gear fully enchanted

I just picked up my lock again a week ago, at 496 ill atm so I realize I'm nowhere near ready to attempt this, but I just want to get an idea of how hard it actually is. What is it comparable to?

I beat rank 7 Brawler's Guild on my monk, I feel like I'm a decent player, how hard is ot compared to, say, Brawler's Guild? And what DPS should I be aiming for a smooth run?
    I did it with 480ish ilvl very early on and it took me a full day of intense back to back wiping. It was only after I killed it that I realized all the stupid stuff I was doing wrong. RoF the imps and the gate "bug" circumventing chaos bolts altogether definitely helped me a lot though, so it might actually be harder now than it was back then. Still, gear should completely trivialize the fight. 496 sounds pretty shitty though, you probably have some items with only 1 secondary stat and shit trinkets and weapon, so you might want to spend a few more weeks gearing up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did it in 480 ish ilvl, he's hard but it's a mechanics check, not a dps/gear check.

Save up that repair money though, cost me around 4k in repairs. x_X

Deleted
    Kanrethad isn't hard. really not. just you need time to practice the mechanics in the phases. It's like a solo raid. You know the tacts but need to practice it to become easier and easier every time. But yeah, the repair costs is a little higher than a raid repair costs :P

If you have trouble using line-of-sight for chaos bolts, this may help:

When I did the boss, he didn't seem to chaos bolt me at all if I wasn't highest on his threat list. If I had highest threat, even if the boss wasn't focusing me (due to the gateway debuff) he would still turn on me to cast chaos bolt. If you use soulshatter liberally, however, your threat will be very low the entire fight and you shouldn't even have to dodge the chaos bolts- he'll always cast them at the pitlord. I soulshattered each time I enslaved the pitlord (which after the first time roughly coincided with doomguard spawns), and I never had to dodge any chaos bolts. Also, the doomguards were pretty glued to the pitlord after getting cleaved and breathed-upon, making it easy to re-banish or fear.

On the off chance that the fight goes long and your pit lord's health gets low because of doomguards and chaos bolts, remember that health funnel is percentage-based and extremely efficient for healing him.

I didn't even bother to summon a gateway when I killed him. I only used demonic portal to move out of LOS. Pit Lord was naturally the top of the agro list and the boss still targeted me with his Chaos Bolts. Maybe the fight was bugged for you, I don't think I have ever seen Kanrethad cast Chaos Bolts at the Pit Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Zargul View Post
    Also, the doomguards were pretty glued to the pitlord after getting cleaved and breathed-upon, making it easy to re-banish or fear.
    You don't even need to CC the doomguards when they are hitting the Pit Lord. He should have enough health to handle their dps. If the fight takes really long you can do some pet healing to Pit Lord too, but that is best done when there are no adds around (it's quite a bit of agro for you).

Using Pit Lord's heal is good way to make him get some fast agro if it's not overhealing much. Besides healing I used it to pull fresh spawned imps and doomguards off me.
    Last edited by 6kle; 2013-11-26 at 06:28 AM.

Deleted
    Got him down to 8k. Then my Portal randomly disapoeared again even after resummoning it. Fuck.

Got him down to 8k. Then my Portal randomly disapoeared again even after resummoning it. Fuck.
    I guess the fight just took long enough for even the resummoned portal to run out? It only takes 0,5 seconds to cast it so keep summoning more often. I made it a habit to often summon a new one after using the portal to make sure it doesn't ever run out. Remember to time Pit Lord stun right if the fight takes long. Start casting CB when he is doing cataclysm, stun him right before the Chaos bolts cast is finished and you get full use of the 100% stun dmg debuff.
    Last edited by 6kle; 2013-11-26 at 07:11 AM.

He's been giving me a lot of trouble but it's mostly because I am a horrible warlock and caster in general. Much better at melee. Anywho, there are attempts that he refuses to drop aggro on me even if I soul shatter/gateway. It's mostly the fel puppies that screw me over, pretty confident if I could get past them he would die easily. They just seem to always steal my enslave demon even when they are no where near me. One day green fire shall be mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragashii View Post
    He's been giving me a lot of trouble but it's mostly because I am a horrible warlock and caster in general. Much better at melee. Anywho, there are attempts that he refuses to drop aggro on me even if I soul shatter/gateway. It's mostly the fel puppies that screw me over, pretty confident if I could get past them he would die easily. They just seem to always steal my enslave demon even when they are no where near me. One day green fire shall be mine!
    Of course they steal enslave if they are no where near you. They are supposed to melee you while the Pit Lord is at their backside. They devour enslave off your pet if they ever face him. That's why you make sure they melee you and don't look at the Pit Lord at any point.

Quote Originally Posted by 6kle View Post
    Of course they steal enslave if they are no where near you. They are supposed to melee you while the Pit Lord is at their backside. They devour enslave off your pet if they ever face him. That's why you make sure they melee you and don't look at the Pit Lord at any point.
    I'm not sure how they manage to do that when I put him on passive and send him away before they show up, I even use rain of fire to get initial aggro but I still lose the buff somehow. Typically when they are about to be summoned I send him off somewhere, rain of fire and stun them and with glyphed havoc finish 2 off pretty quickly. But after that it goes to shit. Everytime.

I'm waiting for WoD before i try again. It's not super easy for people who have serious issues with keeping track of everything thats going on like me. But I don't mind waiting another 6 months +.

Deleted
    I'm not sure how they manage to do that when I put him on passive and send him away before they show up, I even use rain of fire to get initial aggro but I still lose the buff somehow. Typically when they are about to be summoned I send him off somewhere, rain of fire and stun them and with glyphed havoc finish 2 off pretty quickly. But after that it goes to shit. Everytime.
    By now I've perfected my Felhunter phase so that it usually doesn't trouble me anymore. I usually die to stupid shit, like not dispelling enough or Portals disappearing, or clicking Charge by accident so it's on CD on Cataclysm.

What I do: Straight after Cataclysm wait for Kan to DoT you, then fel flame, heal and send him to left side of Kan's Gateway while you run to right, close to the pillar where your Portal should be, RoF, Dark Soul, Havoc first, RoF again, CB second, stun 3, finish off 3rd with immolate, Conflag and Incinerate, by now he should be Chaosbolting so portal.

If things go wrong, try Fearing the Pitlord while you finish off the Felhunters, it might save you.
    Last edited by mmoc23262ad029; 2013-11-26 at 07:22 AM.

You don't really even need to send the Pit Lord away. It doesn't matter if the Pit Lord is 15 or 60 yards away from dogs as long as the dogs have their backs turned at him. But he really needs to be directly behind them.

1) Make sure you don't use Pit Lord's heal during dogs or lose their agro some other way.
    2) Make sure you don't move your character when the dogs melee you because they can do some "funny" re-positioning that turns them around for a split second. If you need to move out of Chaos Bolt LOS use your demonic portal.
    3) If you always seem to get your enslave "devoured" at the second pack of felhunters it's probably because you forgot to dismiss & re-enslave Pit Lord. First enslave runs out during the second set of felhunters.
    Last edited by 6kle; 2013-11-26 at 07:53 AM.

Deleted
    not very was 504 when I did it one shot it without using potion of purification, was really a joke tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Nebmyers View Post
    not very was 504 when I did it one shot it without using potion of purification, was really a joke tbh
    One shot means first attempt. I seriously doubt you did it like that at 504 gear level unless you mean first attempt of the day after wiping at it the previous day.

I started with quest green/blues gear 3 days ago and it was really hard after gearing up to ilvl 512 got easier, however I was failing at fel hunters no matter what. It's comes down to learning the fight and staying calm. As I progressed into the fight my hands would shake, heart pumping faster and faster and I start to panic for no reason lol. For 3 days on and off I was at it. After 20+ tries over 1k repair bill, this morning I was able to beat it. I think the more high ilvl gear you have the more chance you have beating it.

I did it with 502 iLvl in 5.4. It was actually quite challenging. It took a very long time to nail every part of the encounter. Lots of failed attempts but hey, it was the most fun I've had in wow since TBC I think.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just completed this over the weekend. I started early saturday morning with 496 ilvl and a 463 weapon. I spent all day in LFR and ended up with a 505 ilvl and much better weapons. It was 4am sunday and i was about to go to bed, but i decided to give it a few shots...i didn't pre pot, pot, soulstone, flask or food buff, because i didn't think i would do it...

At about 30% i decided to flask and pot and it was a complete joke...it really does come down to mechanics. My biggest issue was the fel hunter phases...but i made plenty of mistakes and i still beat the enrage timer by 3 minutes.

Keep at it...you will get it =)