iMac 27" and WoW

First, let me start off by saying I am a casual gamer. I used to be a core raider at one point and have been playing since TBC. Neddless to say, now I only play WoW for recreational purpose and to let off some steam. Typically doing LFR and rarely I manage to get into Flex. Having mentioned all above I want to come to the point.

I am in market for new computer, well I already purchased (I will be honest ). I have been using PC/laptop for a while and considered iMac for a new computer. Space is an issue in my tiny apartment. So I planned on a All in one or a gaming laptop. Having not so good experiences gaming with laptops I brought iMac (it's on the way). The 2.5K $ question is wold I be able to play wow on high/Ultra settings with the configuration listed below?

Please be mindful that I did not get this system to play WoW. I like many other capabilities mac has to offer. Just in market for new system as I mentioned. Facts are I already brought it, decided to want it, and planned on being stuck with it for sometime so PC vs Mac comparisons wouldn't really reason with me - So I'd appreciate if people want to help with answering my straightforward question. Now the good stuff:

27 - Inch iMac
    NVIDIAGeForceGTX780M 4GB GDDR5
    3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 (It's 4th Gen and I believe its 4771 series)
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB (I will change this to 16 GB (2 x 8 Modules) as upgrading on apple costs more)
    512GB Flash Storage (SSD)

Your feedback is much appreciated and welcomed.

*insert obligatory Mac gaming joke here*

WoW is really badly optimized to run on anything. Luckily, those are some pretty solid specs. GTX 780M is a laptop chip, but a beastly one at that. Hell, that iMac will propably perform better on WoW than my 2 years old PC desktop and I run on Ultra with no problems.

high maybe, ultra no.

THanks that makes me happy!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dess View Post
    high maybe, ultra no.
    I have seen benchmarks of GTX 780M and Diablo 3 runs @ 180 fps and games like Battle field 3 and Crysis 2 runs at Ultra with no sweat. I am curious is all but does WoW use better engine than those games listed in benchmarks? Diablo 3 Benchmarks get me more curious.

Benchmarks: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...M.88993.0.html

Deleted
    Anaeska, what you need to understand isnt the settings

first things first, the OS isnt optmised for gaming so doesnt leverage the resources very well in games i.e the hardware as no game in existence had the OS in mind in development, they are simply ports.

2nd thing you arent considering is the resolution, this is the biggest killer of frame rates, the 780m you are considering might be running on resolution on 1080 P or below, 2560x1440 even with better hardware i.e high end desktop hardware still kills them below 60 fps, just consider this.

Quote Originally Posted by dess View Post
    high maybe, ultra no.
    Ultra is just fine, but WOW does have some optimization issues with certain effects that are better toned down (their shadows can be hit and miss)

I have machine the OP is asking about, and I run native at ultra settings just fine. Hell I can run 5 copies of WOW 800x600 and one nearly full screen full on and its fine.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a great computer, for sure, and will run WoW very well. The only place it will start to struggle -some- is in very heavy raids (LFR/25m)

The main point of contention isn't that it isn't good, but most people would prefer to have spent $1000 less on effectively the same (or better) system. But you already bought it, so any kind of discussion on what you should or could get is moot.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Anaeska View Post
    First, let me start off by saying I am a casual gamer. I used to be a core raider at one point and have been playing since TBC. Neddless to say, now I only play WoW for recreational purpose and to let off some steam. Typically doing LFR and rarely I manage to get into Flex. Having mentioned all above I want to come to the point.

I am in market for new computer, well I already purchased (I will be honest ). I have been using PC/laptop for a while and considered iMac for a new computer. Space is an issue in my tiny apartment. So I planned on a All in one or a gaming laptop. Having not so good experiences gaming with laptops I brought iMac (it's on the way). The 2.5K $ question is wold I be able to play wow on high/Ultra settings with the configuration listed below?

Please be mindful that I did not get this system to play WoW. I like many other capabilities mac has to offer. Just in market for new system as I mentioned. Facts are I already brought it, decided to want it, and planned on being stuck with it for sometime so PC vs Mac comparisons wouldn't really reason with me - So I'd appreciate if people want to help with answering my straightforward question. Now the good stuff:

27 - Inch iMac
    NVIDIAGeForceGTX780M 4GB GDDR5
    3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 (It's 4th Gen and I believe its 4771 series)
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB (I will change this to 16 GB (2 x 8 Modules) as upgrading on apple costs more)
    512GB Flash Storage (SSD)

Your feedback is much appreciated and welcomed.
    http://www.tonymacx86.com/home.php
    http://overlordcomputer.com/collections/27-monitors

The Overlord Monitor will slaughter the imac 27" IPS which is this panel (it is a LG panel btw, Mac makes nothing).
    https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=10509

Better airflow in the hackintosh, better video card in the hackintosh. Better monitor with the hackintosh. Can overclock it. Cheaper. The video card in the IMAC is under clocked due to heat and the ridiculously small space they use for everything. It is NOT a 1440p solution for gaming. Yo uhave to run 720p in most games, which looks pretty horrible on a 27 inch screen.

Once you build a hackintosh you will never buy a Mac again. Funniest part? OS Mavericks is free if you have another Mac to create the USB boot stick. A hackintosh shouldn't even be called a "hackintosh" It is an intel PC running Mac OS, just like a Mac.

Solid Settings for WoW, My 2008 MacBook Pro Unibody runs like 60-80 fps on wow no problems at all, you will be good to go

EDIT: After looking over the specs again, that's a solid build for just about anything, Wish I could afford the iMac it would do wonders for my photo and video editing ha

Your setup is pretty much the same as yours, and I can say that you can't. WoW is optimized as shit. Heck I get more FPS with multisampling on 8x than on 1x for some weird reason. Same with texture filtering.