Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What Do Our Characters Fight For? (We Need Appreciating!)

I was thinking about this today, and maybe i think too much but we as characters have had quite the substantial impact on Azeroth and yet we get treated by NPCs as just regular, average citizens. We have to start from scratch with all these factions and NPCs act like straight out of Northshire.

Amongst other achievements - Your average level 90 has done the following..
    • Fought and mostly defeated the Burning Legion.
    • Fought and killed perhaps the biggest war criminal in Azeroth, The Lich King and his army of undead, or at least gotten his army under control.
    • Fought and destroyed the crazy, insane black dragon who literally broke the world.
    • Fought and defeated Garrosh Hellscream
    • Plus, all the other beasts and terrors that have been unleashed and killed thousands of innocents including old gods and Archimonde.

I mean, that list alone is enough to get a part of Azeroth named after my character. At least a shrine in a secluded part of a zone somewhere. Sure, we get the odd letter in our mailboxes and some nice gear but make no mistake, it's so we can fight the next abomination that they throw at us.

What are we actually fighting for, do we get paid when this is all over? If we're just fighting for survival, then fair enough but at least give me a life to protect. I'm sick to death of having these snotty, headless chicken citizens not know who the hell i am or whether i'm up to the challenge.

You're damn right I need appreciating!

They got geisha on Pandaria? I could use some appreciation over here!

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    A true hero never wants anything in return.

*Stands in front of sunset, silhoutette only with cloak waving in the wind*
    Butts.

15+ Year Old Account
    What exactly do you want? I'm going say that a statue is too much, and having NPCs shout "oh LAWDY it's the great hero!" every time I pass by would get pretty freaking old.

I get paid in bloodshed. I don't give a damn which side wins as long as I get to build a mountain of corpses and then burn them all down.
    It would be dark inside my head...if not for the fires...

10+ Year Old Account
    Technically, we aren't heroes. Just impressively resilient veterans.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

10+ Year Old Account
    NPCs do occasionally give you the respect you deserve. Lor'themar Theron (who's essentially a country's president) takes you aside and makes you his confidant because he knows you're a veteran badass whose work is pretty damn remarkable.

we get appreciated a lot. Wrathion straight up makes you his champion after seeing what you can do and corroborating on your adventures. The shield Wall/ dominance offensive have you working directly for the bosses of those areas and WoD has them entrusting us with building and maintaining strongholds within Dreanor. which to me sort of points to the idea that our characters are reaching a similar status as those NPC's we see holding down the fort in quest hubs. to answer your question more directly that depends on how you view your character. if you have zero backstory or idea of what motivates him or her then I would say it's to advance the agenda of your faction/race knowing that at some point in the future its position in the world is secure.
    Last edited by Xayl1; 2013-11-22 at 04:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're not thinking of this in terms of how the game sees it. You are not some solitary hero like Superman flying around the world and saving it singlehandedly. Consider yourself as more of an officer in a large and powerful military. Sure, you're well trained and dangerous in your own right, but honestly, in the world of Azeroth, you are nothing but a cog. Deathwing would have been defeated without you, as would Arthas. Your character doesn't tip the scales on their own, those massive enemies simply aren't able to be taken that easily. Remember the size of the army that was scattered around Northrend? Those airships that both sides have been building for a couple of expansions are not just personal transport for you.

Our characters are simply more powerful soldiers of the forces of our factions. You are like a Seal Team Six member. People aren't meant to know your name when the names of the tactical commanders and such are more important. Bolvar gets a statue, you get another assignment.
    TAZI-BEAR ... da Beast

Quote Originally Posted by Kazroshka View Post
    A true hero never wants anything in return.

*Stands in front of sunset, silhoutette only with cloak waving in the wind*
    Victory means nothing, the fight is everything.

*slings duffle bag over his shoulder and walks barefoot into the sunset*
    "It is a demonstration of incomprehensible hubris to quote one's self, especially in one's own forum signature."
    ¬PetersenIII

15+ Year Old Account
    I remember in Borean tundra (as alliance) you got to cut to the front of the line, while all the plebeians whined about it... It's something

Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    What exactly do you want? I'm going say that a statue is too much, and having NPCs shout "oh LAWDY it's the great hero!" every time I pass by would get pretty freaking old.
    Like they do in Dalaran.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno, High Warlord Fluffypants says otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyBala View Post
    I was thinking about this today, and maybe i think too much but we as characters have had quite the substantial impact on Azeroth and yet we get treated by NPCs as just regular, average citizens. We have to start from scratch with all these factions and NPCs act like straight out of Northshire.

Amongst other achievements - Your average level 90 has done the following..
    • Fought and mostly defeated the Burning Legion.
    • Fought and killed perhaps the biggest war criminal in Azeroth, The Lich King and his army of undead, or at least gotten his army under control.
    • Fought and destroyed the crazy, insane black dragon who literally broke the world.
    • Fought and defeated Garrosh Hellscream
    • Plus, all the other beasts and terrors that have been unleashed and killed thousands of innocents including old gods and Archimonde.

I mean, that list alone is enough to get a part of Azeroth named after my character. At least a shrine in a secluded part of a zone somewhere. Sure, we get the odd letter in our mailboxes and some nice gear but make no mistake, it's so we can fight the next abomination that they throw at us.

What are we actually fighting for, do we get paid when this is all over? If we're just fighting for survival, then fair enough but at least give me a life to protect. I'm sick to death of having these snotty, headless chicken citizens not know who the hell i am or whether i'm up to the challenge.

No we did not.

They fight for phat lootz.

They also steal fish from fishermen in Stormwind because the daily cooking guy needs fish. Yes, the might paladin, the icon of justice...wil steal fish from a poor bastard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DizzyBala View Post
    I'm sick to death of having these snotty, headless chicken citizens not know who the hell i am or whether i'm up to the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Molestron View Post
    They fight for phat lootz.

They also steal fish from fishermen in Stormwind because the daily cooking guy needs fish. Yes, the might paladin, the icon of justice...wil steal fish from a poor bastard.
    You can always choose NOT to steal from them for the day if it is against your alignment. As a warlock hell ya I take some fish. Ill spit on them then hand them to the quest giver.

Our characters haven't actually done any of those things.

Our characters are roleplaying the original heroes that accomplished them; they are actors to the part, not participants.

... except, of course, for the time my character wiped out the Blue Dragonflight (excepting a couple rares) in Winterspring trying to get that damn Mature Blue Dragon Sinew.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

10+ Year Old Account
    I fight for Silvermoon... still fighting for Silvermoon.... maybe one day they can update it.
    Atleast we finally get a castle!