Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Great read, really goes to show that some of the same complaints that people have today still held true back then. Too bad you couldn't find any "Why the fuck does Alliance have Shamans and Horde Paladins?" quotes, those were always a blast.

Think you could find some Wrath ones and compile them together? That'd also be fun to read again. Heck, they're quite easy to find even on this forum if you just go back a couple of thousand pages. Still a bit shocked to see so many people praising Wrath these days when it was nearly as hated as Cataclysm was when it was current.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    1) Quotes without reference to the original post are not really meaningful - who's to say you didn't just make all of that up?
    2) WoW subscriptions went up during TBC, not down as they have done pretty much ever since.
    1 - You really didn't visit forums during TBC, did you?
    2 - What does sub numbers have to do with this? If anything, they rose because the game got a lot more accessible after Vanilla, which isn't a bad thing mind you.
    Last edited by wariofan1; 2013-11-23 at 11:29 AM.

Wow there's a lot of rage in this thread for no good reason.

Was a fun read OP, i'm sure most people who don't get way too defensive over their favourite expac will enjoy reading it.

I remember a lot of those complaints at the time, and some of them were definitely valid.

I think TBC made the game a lot more "structured" which some vanilla players didn't like.

15+ Year Old Account
    Great read. And what makes it more funny is that some people use very similar arguments of why MoP is crap and TBC was the best thing ever!

10+ Year Old Account
    This is exactly the kind of thing I think of when I read people praising TBC on the forums. Even if the quotes in the OP are made up, they were the complaints seen on forums back then. During TBC and Wrath, they were bashed like there was no tomorrow. Today they're praised as the second coming of Raptor Jesus.

I see TBC as the first step in a right direction. It was a colossal improvement over the mess that was Classic. But it was not, by any means, the best WoW has ever been. Some people may have prefered it over other periods. But I cannot, for a single second, look back at the past and say, with a straight face, that it's in any way better than Wrath, Mists, or, Elune forgive me, even Cataclysm.
    Last edited by Adramalech; 2013-11-23 at 11:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

I remember these complains too, so yeah they existed (though I also remember LOTS of complaints about how hard heroic instances were, and THESE posts seem to not have made it to the very "unbiased" selection made by the OP ).

Though I'd like to point, the main reason we see the same complaints now and then, has less to do with "things are the same" (because they certainly aren't) and all to do about how the expectations and criteria have changed enormously.
    Typical example : people defending how it's easy to level up now by saying that at release WoW was already mocked by how easy it was to level up ; it's technically true, but only in context, simply because what was considered easy back then would be considered downright hardcore today.

To sum it up : it's not because you see the same complaints that the situation is the same. Evolving standards and all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Synyzta View Post
    Didn't Wrath have the highest Sub numbers?
    Technically yes, but only very barely : 11,5 millions was breached in late TBC, it took the announce of Cata for WotLK to manage to get past this and very briefly reach 12 millions.
    If anything, WotLK stopped WoW growth dead in its tracks - while TBC went for +30 % playerbase.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfKnees View Post
    Think you could find some Wrath ones and compile them together? That'd also be fun to read again. Heck, they're quite easy to find even on this forum if you just go back a couple of thousand pages. Still a bit shocked to see so many people praising Wrath these days when it was nearly as hated as Cataclysm was when it was current.
    It's not that surprising, it simply reflect population shift - there is FAR more people who have played WoW and stopped than people still playing WoW.
    WotLK design paragdim has hold true since years, so most people who hated it simply stopped playing after a while, and most people still playing today are the ones who actually liked WotLK design.
    Last edited by Akka; 2013-11-23 at 11:55 AM.

Deleted
    ahahah I remember this stuff at the time.
    Wierd though, there are no quotes about getting Tigole fired and there were soooo many at the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wheres the source?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilpi View Post
    Wheres the source?
    Do you need one? People that played during Vanilla&TBC have already confirmed the forums were like this back then.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollfaced View Post
    Do you need one? People that played during Vanilla&TBC have already confirmed the forums were like this back then.
    they were worse in fact because the people that played Vanilla were mainly ex-Everquest players and when the raid format where put down to 25 they felt very betrayed and there was so much yummy crying all over the place and the usual devs bashing

The quote here are pretty mild

Oh I was almost forgetting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdWk9TzgOV4
    Hilarious byproduct of TBC changes
    Last edited by mmoc89084f456c; 2013-11-23 at 12:17 PM.

Deleted
    I hear how epics "meant something" in vanilla all the time. Maybe it did really early on. But mid-vanilla it certainly didn't. I joined a random raiding guild and got showered in epics from Molten Core when I was still really shit at the game, no effort at all.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    yes because we must believe that all these quotes are real and not of your mind..
    Did you start reading wow forums yesterday or what? Whining has always been going on. Noone needs to fake whine posts, just open a random forum topic and there you are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Back then casuals complained at the game for being inaccessible, catered to the upper bracket of players. Seems like they won - today we play Casuals of Warcraft.

I actually find this irony rather pleasant, especially in the face of a lot of forum goers who had been lobbying for WoD to revert to how good TBC was, after the too hardcore Vanilla and the too casual friendly WoW. In fact, I have seen a lot of posts from people citing TBC as the solution to the casual and hardcore problem, and having played TBC myself, I often am speechless to those generalisations.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfKnees View Post
    Too bad you couldn't find any "Why the fuck does Alliance have Shamans and Horde Paladins?" quotes, those were always a blast.
    I have to admit I have made such a post back then. My excuse is that I was totally smashed. Later on, I tought it's a great idea and simple solution to the PVE imbalance created by things like BoS - if you remember what it was

Well I guess wow was only good in vanilla then and TBC was the start of the " give everything to the casuals" philosophy.
    www.twitch.tv/xchrispottertvx
    Officer in the World First Guild Method.
    We are recruiting any exceptional players who want to play at a World first level.
    www.method.gg
    Currently playing healer (Resto Druid main).

I assume the point of this (for those who don;t get it) people keep thinking TBC was the best thing ever to happen to wow however during the time it was relevant content the whining was just the same as it is for every other expansion.

Everyone complains about anything.

Nothing new.
    New season. Fun times.

" Who would of thought a small kid from Aberdeen, Washington, who was always labelled a B+ player, who would of thought that guy could of main evented Wrestlemania? Nobody. Nobody except ...you guys."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilpi View Post
    Wheres the source?
    Why do you need sources for this? Did you get the point, didn't you?
    Anyways, drag and drop these qoutes into google. I dragged 2 of them and old forums came up, the quotes are indeed real. Not like anyone who has been around wow forums for a while had the slightest doubt about that.

Deleted
    out of context quotes mean nothing.
    and your assumed premise, that those quotes mean people thought the expansion ruined the game is absurd.

I liked tbc, but:
    The gearing situation did cause issues for guild recruitment with people using guilds are stepping stones, it did cause issues with attunements and sequential gearing beign an issue.
    It did have an impact on wpvp (though halaa was great).

much like in Wrath (the best expansion) there were some aspects I disliked.

Overall I liked Wrath and TBC. Cata started well and went pants, MoP started pants and, well remained pretty pants just marginally less pants towards the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Type as u wish, i can get u hate for anything, but in end MONEY talk and nothing else

Money says TBC is better than what we have now, and Wrath was best, if u think that activision who are ready to sell their souls for demon for right price care for any point u say u are wrong, only money move them, and that is quote from their CEO himself Bobby Kodick (typed the name wrong on purpose)

And patch 5.4 is first patch i know that has new raiding content and failed to get more sub, it actually lost another 400k