Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

There is a truly epic RPG of the likes of Baldur's Gate that you've probably never played before. It's called Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Yeah, you probably didn't play it because you were too busy thinking about Skyrim all of the time when it came out. Despite the fact that 38 Studios went bankrupt because virtually no one bought the game, it's still a masterpiece you should play. Anyways, this is the thread where we discuss KoA.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2013-11-24 at 12:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually enjoyed playing it, though I never did beat it. May have to start up another game. The graphics were halfway decent, the gameplay was good, and the voice acting was good. I was disappointed when I heard the company behind it went under. I did have SOME issues with it, mostly minor (camera/aiming problems, invisible walls, the fact that you can't actually JUMP), but overall it was not a purchase I regretted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    It actually was a really great game, although I never finished it, I'll probably get around to playing and finishing it in my Uni break.

I wouldn't compare it to Skyrim, it was always more like an opposition to Fable, and I actually enjoyed it more than Fable 2 and 3 (Fable1 wins because of nostalgia)

Only problem is how unbalanced the classes are.
    As an mage I was dominating everything, but when I played a rogue I was having my butt handed to me.

But yeah, if you like Fable-esq games, then I'd suggest picking it up, it's cheap now and all that.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Try the Skyrim FXAA injectors on KoA. They are compatible and make the game look fantastic. Also, use the widescreen fixer tool to make the camera better (https://www.widescreenfixer.org/).

I loved the game, I just have such a hard time getting into single player games. It was awesome, but I feel if you could of played with 1 or 2 other people, this games popularity would of sky rocketed. I still have it installed on my comp and play from time to time. It really is an awesome RPG.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah we actually have a megathread for it here.

but I own 2 copies a special edition(map,dice and all that simple version there were like 5 CE) and normal PS3 version.

Deleted
    Mediocre. World seems closed and limited (which it is), however good art-style but only the first 1/3 after that it gets boring. Quests are god awful and uninspired, only main and faction is okay. Lore is shallow as hell, scrapping reveals poor writing and uninspired ideas. Combat gets boring, on hard they are huge sponges and they reuse a lot. Characters not memorable at all.

It's good when you follow the road and scripted path. Everything else is rough and under mediocre.

7/10

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Yeah we actually have a megathread for it here.
    Really? I looked but nothing for it showed up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I felt is was exceedingly average

10+ Year Old Account
    The quests pretty much killed this game for me just a couple hours in. Too bad too, it looked like it could have been a lot of fun if they were better

15+ Year Old Account
    It's a pretty nice game, I was just very skeptical of it and waited for it to go on sale for a very long time, finally got a hold of it last year and it's a very epic game indeed. Just throws me off trying to get interested in the lore because the company went bankrupt and will most likely never get a sequel.

Read reviews on it, watched gameplay, really wasn't hooked. Another generic fantasy theme of Human, Elf, Dwarf, Orc. *Yawn* like we haven't seen that a million times. Maybe its just me, but any book that tries to copy Tolkien tanks, and any game that tries to copies DnD fails. WoW was the exception because of how it executed the storyline of both Orc and Human as protagonist, instead of a firm Protag-Antag story. Had they done it that way, I don't think Warcraft would have survived.

The game launched simultaneously with Skyrim. Love it or hate it, theres just no possible way a new IP could even try to compete with Bethesda or Elder Scrolls, like sending a rookie to knock out Floyd Mayweather.

Edit: meant Warcraft the series, not WoW.
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2013-11-24 at 01:24 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Kingdoms of Amalur IP and assets along with some others are going up for auction in Decembre

Played the demo, game looked good and nice voiceovers/music however the camera angles and movement..... worst I ever played with so never bought it

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Despite the fact that 38 Studios went bankrupt because virtually no one bought the game, it's still a masterpiece you should play. Anyways, this is the thread where we discuss KoA.

Your thoughts?
    While I do agree that KoA is a really good game your comment about why they went bankrupt is wrong.

The story is that some baseball player founded the company with 100million dollars and they spent a little over 50 million to fund the game. The game only sold around 40-50 million total barely breaking even at most.

The other problem said company had was they where working on the MMO of KoA and there went the rest of the money therefor any profit they had from KoA if any was gone. There is Alpha videos of said MMO but also on top of all of that they had 3 really big names on the game those names are "Ken Rolston, the lead designer of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, R.A. Salvatore and Todd McFarlane.

I bet you those names did not come cheap and I have a feeling that whoever was running the show though the game would sell just as good as "Oblivion/Spawn/The Dark Elf Series" since those names was on it.

It really came down to spending more then they had and the baseball player "can't remember his name" I do believe try'ed to sue EA for his 100 million back....

Sorry for going into a rant and back on the main topic of the game. It is a really good game and I do believe the IP go's up for sell here in the near future so hopfully someone picks it up and makes KoA 2.

My personal rating even tho I haven't beat it yet is a 4 out of 5 and like others have said it came out round the same time as Skyrim so that did not help it at all.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2013-11-24 at 01:33 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I played about 20 hours back when the game was released. The combat was way too easy, even on the highest difficulty.

To me, the whole game felt like a MMO cramped into a single player game. Everything from the zones to the mobs and especially the questing. Go there, fetch this, kill 20 of those mobs that look exactly like the mobs in the zone you just cleared and so on.

The story wasn't interesting either, although it was supposed to be one of the selling points of the game.

I stopped playing the game because I got bored and because it wasn't challenging at all. Too bad, I thought the combat mechanics were pretty good...
    Has anything of that changed with the DLCs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Really? I looked but nothing for it showed up.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...doms+of+Amalur

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    Played the demo, game looked good and nice voiceovers/music however the camera angles and movement..... worst I ever played with so never bought it
    The demo is a KNOWN piece of shit...Basically it was rushed out wasn't even a semi accurate build to what they had then...

In short the crappy demo didn't help it's sales...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuzzfizzle View Post
    I played about 20 hours back when the game was released. The combat was way too easy, even on the highest difficulty. /snip
    A patch made it harder, but it is still too easy if you craft gear and finish all quests.

There is a truly epic RPG of the likes of Baldur's Gate that you've probably never played before. It's called Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Yeah, you probably didn't play it because you were too busy thinking about Skyrim all of the time when it came out. Despite the fact that 38 Studios went bankrupt because virtually no one bought the game, it's still a masterpiece you should play. Anyways, this is the thread where we discuss KoA.

Your thoughts?
    38 Studios didn't go bankrupt because virtually no one bought the game. They went bankrupt because they borrowed ridiculous amounts of money that required EXTREMELY ambitious sales (even if it were an already established money-printing IP) to pay it back. It's a very well known game. In fact, an MMORPG was already planned (Project Copernicus) but they wanted to established the world before diving headfirst into an MMORPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.