Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Techno, Tech House, Deep House are my three favorite genres to listen to. The list of stuff (beside those I just mentioned) that I like is endless though. Just check out my last.fm.

I'm not really a fan of metal though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    i have found that people in gaming communities often listen to a very narrow spectrum of music, all while believing they are mad eclectic.

which is ironic because every time i have tried, nobody could give me their top five albums released this year. i think the record is something like two albums

most of my friends who are into experimental music don't play video games

i dont know if there is a correlation or what would cause this correlation
    I'd be better at giving a top list of tracks that were released in this year since I barely ever buy full albums these days. Also, I think that the answers to this question don't really prove much. I could name album/EP releases that I found to be the best for me this year, while they were released in say, the 80's or 90's.
    Last edited by Rampant Rabbit; 2013-11-28 at 03:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer rock and metal, but even within those genres there are sub-genres I can't stand.

I can't stand jazz, blues, opera, most rap, most country. Techno, house and dance are also usually not something i'd listen to, then there's that (forget the name), like skrillex and all that which is absolutely horrible.

My taste in music is ever expanding though, not surprising since I absolutely hated music up until I was 16 or so. And I am still just 26, but those genres I listed that I can't stand - will likely never be part of what I consider good music.

i
    which is ironic because every time i have tried, nobody could give me their top five albums released this year. i think the record is something like two albums
    Seriously?

10+ Year Old Account
    I will pretty much listen to anything. I mainly listen to rock/metal/hip-hop/trip-hop. Many people just don't have a broad taste in music.

To be honest, I don't listen to much music. It's not really the fact that I'm a "gamer" it's more or less because, to me, most modern music sucks horrendous balls.

Sure, I might find a song or two that I like, but the specific genre or artist doesn't appeal to me, just the specific song.

Really, the only music I might actually get into and listen whenever doing something else is stuff from Video Games. Unlike the music industry, where much of it's run by money-hungry, tasteless hacks, at least in games people will try and make their music sound good.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

Deleted
    Metal, rock and motha fucking g-funk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by inboundpaper View Post
    I've been into punk longer than video games, so hating pop just kinda comes with it.
    Define in what way do Punk hate Pop, please...

Because since I've been reading about Sex Pistols and listening to interviews with John Lydon, I think there is massive confusion in what is punk about. Maybe there were other punk bands before Sex Pistols, but I think it was John Lydon who basically "created" the Punk image. And this is funny, everybody saw this guy and started to copy him, his attitude and his clothes. This is wrong on so many levels, people hate things because they create themselves a doctrine of "their style" that dictates somebody's opinion. Punk doesn't hate Pop music for being music itself, but because they don't think it is honest. Punk is all about honesty, staying true to yourself and kinship. If you like it, you like it. Simple, but DO NOT force it on another just because you can. You can say you don't like it, but disliking anything shouldn't be part of punk "culture" or any other "culture". People always take a good idea and make it a bad one in the end.

I've been like this too, I used to listen to metal music and saw Hip-Hop as my enemies. And to this day I am ashamed of it. You will realize how stupid it is when you find one Hip-Hop song, or Pop song in your case, that you like. Now I don't listen to any specific genre... I like bits of everything. In every genre there is honest and dishonest music full of dumb cliché. I can't stand fans of "the chosen genre", they act like their favourite genre is blessed by gods to be the one and only. Then they pickup their keyboards in the genre crusade... And funniest thing is that they even fight between themselves!

i have found that people in gaming communities often listen to a very narrow spectrum of music, all while believing they are mad eclectic.

Yes, it is funny...

But who the F cares if you can name you top 5 albums released in a year? What is the meaning behind it? Absolutely none, it shows nothing important about how you enjoy listening to music. Personally I couldn't name my Top 5 albums released in 2013, don't know any other than this. To be honest I think that people who listen to 10 illegally downloaded albums in MP3 a year are not real fans of music, they are collectors in my eyes. It is like being happy with having all cubist paintings in JPEG and not having real one by Pablo Picasso. It is bad to listen to only one genre, but it is also bad to listen to everything just because of quantity. Even the people who trully enjoy collecting records will say you that they have like 3-5 all time favourites and that they heard majority of their collection only once!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a good question. This is something I often wondered myself since I am one of them. I am a big time gamer and play all kinds of games; retro and current gen, computer and console and the music I like listening to are rock, metal, some techno, and game music but mostly metal. I can't really answer exactly WHY most of us gamers like listening to rock and metal. Maybe it just comes from the game itself. Like for example Dynasty Warriors. The soundtrack for those games are mostly if not all power metal and when your out in the field slaughtering hundreds of soldiers, the power metal music makes it so much more exciting and intense. But then there are also people who've been listening to rock and metal before they started playing games so I don't know.

As for our dislike in pop and hip hop, I think for most rock/metal fans, it just comes with being a fan of rock/metal or maybe not I don't know. For me though, I just hate it because it's everywhere and it's used for everything anymore and it's like shoved in your face all the time and I just find it super annoying. What I hate the most though is hip hop. I simply HATE ghetto people who act like they're a thug and they're all tough because they wear their pants below their ass, exposing their crusty underwear for everyone to see and always posing as someone they're not. It's funny too because I used to listen to rap and hip hop back when I was a little shit only because back then my brothers listened to it all the time and being the little shit I was I just followed them because I wanted to be cool like them.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2013-12-03 at 11:14 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    It's a good question. This is something I often wondered myself since I am one of them. I am a big time gamer and play all kinds of games; retro and current gen, computer and console and the music I like listening to are rock, metal, some techno, and game music but mostly metal. I can't really answer exactly WHY most of us gamers like listening to rock and metal. Maybe it just comes from the game itself. Like for example Dynasty Warriors. The soundtrack for those games are mostly if not all power metal and when your out in the field slaughtering hundreds of soldiers, the power metal music makes it so much more exciting and intense. But then there are also people who've been listening to rock and metal before they started playing games so I don't know.

As for our dislike in pop and hip hop, I think for most rock/metal fans, it just comes with being a fan of rock/metal or maybe not I don't know. For me though, I just hate it because it's everywhere and it's used for everything anymore and it's like shoved in your face all the time and I just find it super annoying. What I hate the most though is hip hop. I simply HATE ghetto people who act like they're a thug and they're all tough because they wear their pants below their ass, exposing their crusty underwear for everyone to see and they're always posing as someone they're not. It's funny too because I used to listen to rap and hip hop back when I was a little shit only because back then my brothers listened to it all the time and being the little shit I was I just followed them because I wanted to be cool like them.
    You hate hip-hop because of "ghetto people?" You hate an entire genre of music due to certain people? That's a pretty stupid reason man. This is no different than the people that hate metal music because they think it's "satanic".

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll listen to anything; from rock to polka to country to techno to classical to disco...

There is no benefit to restricting what you listen to based solely on genre type/artist.

I judge based on the individual songs themselves. If I enjoy the song, then I listen to it regardless of genre.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
    You hate hip-hop because of "ghetto people?" You hate an entire genre of music due to certain people? That's a pretty stupid reason man. This is no different than the people that hate metal music because they think it's "satanic".
    I guess I should've said more about why I hate it. Not only because of that but it's also the lyrics. Actually it's mostly because of the lyrics. 90% of the time I hear it they will be taking about either killing someone, how much money they have, having sex, going to a club/dancing in the club, or doing drugs. It's all the same and I have no clue how it's even considered music. Now rap and hip hop back in the 90's is a different story. One person that stands out is Will Smith. I used to like his music because it wasn't always about sex or money. Hell I'd probably still listen to it if someone gave me his CD.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2013-12-03 at 11:29 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

I listen to 80s (all genres)
    rap (mostly underground)
    rock (Tool, Sublime, Tenacious D)
    pop (new catchy songs.. not ashamed to admit it)

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess I should've said more about why I hate it. Not only because of that but it's also the lyrics. Actually it's mostly because of the lyrics. 90% of the time I hear it they will be taking about either killing someone, how much money they have, having sex, going to a club/dancing in the club, or doing drugs. It's all the same and I have no clue how it's even considered music.
    Yeah you're completely right that there are songs about that. But not all of is about that. Just do a bit of exploring. I'd look into artist like MF DOOM, Nujabes, Shing02, Gang Starr, A Tribe Called Quest, and Nas. There's more artist but like I said just do do some exploring if you're willing to give hip-hop a chance. It's a little funny because I am an avid fan of both hip-hop and metal.

I run into people that claim metal is nothing but a bunch of bearded dudes screaming into a mic and people that claim hip-hop is nothing but some dude talking about how much money he has. I just find it a little funny how much hate both genres get.
    Last edited by Lancer; 2013-12-03 at 11:35 PM.

As for our dislike in pop and hip hop, I think for most rock/metal fans, it just comes with being a fan of rock/metal or maybe not I don't know. For me though, I just hate it because it's everywhere and it's used for everything anymore and it's like shoved in your face all the time and I just find it super annoying. What I hate the most though is hip hop. I simply HATE ghetto people who act like they're a thug and they're all tough because they wear their pants below their ass, exposing their crusty underwear for everyone to see and always posing as someone they're not. It's funny too because I used to listen to rap and hip hop back when I was a little shit only because back then my brothers listened to it all the time and being the little shit I was I just followed them because I wanted to be cool like them.
    So when you were a "little shit," your words, you followed your brothers, and now that you're all grown up, you're following this so called gamer-trend? Doesn't seem to me like you changed at all from your "little shit" days.

On topic, I think the reason why most gamers dislike pop or are into metal has nothing to do with being gamers. It's a process that starts very early on, as a kid. It's the reason why one kid might fall in love with Boyzone, gravitate to Eminem, discover Cradle of Filth, and end up a raging Metalhead. That process is affected by so many factors. Friends, social circles, what's cool at the time, state of mind, falling in love, break ups, etc... The content of the music is a huge factor, of course. Fantasy related music for fantasy related games. However, it's not the reason why one gamer closes off his mind to other types of art.

The reason is pretty much close-mindedness. Close-minded musically, close-minded generally. This close-mindedness, like musical taste, results from long years of outside stimulus. This is why you need a pretty open minded individual to judge any form of art. They need to be able to see the good, even if it doesn't appeal to them.
    Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
    Yeah you're completely right that there are songs about that. But not all of is about that. Just do a bit of exploring. I'd look into artist like MF DOOM, Nujabes, Shing02, Gang Starr, A Tribe Called Quest, and Nas. There's more artist but like I said just do do some exploring if you're willing to give hip-hop a chance.
    While I am well aware that not all hip hop is about "money, ho's, pimpin, etc", I've yet to find any hip hop that is at all appealing to me musically. And I've even heard a couple on your list there. For some people, hip hop just doesn't have an appeal. Metal I love, classic rock too, a lot of country(either the older/classic stuff or the so-called alt county/Americana), some punk and lots of the Irish/Celtic punk, a small amount of industrial, various classical I enjoy...but I just haven't found any hip hop.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Trooper View Post
    Actually rock is the most popular genre in the U.S.
    That's interesting in that turntables outsold guitars for a few years there...it always goes in waves though, like fashion, tight jeans, baggy jeans, tight jeans, baggy jeans.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Orchestra music/techno/trance always barely ever listen to metal/rock even if i do listen to it i usually turn it off in like 10 minutes and go back to orchestra
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

I pretty much close any Youtube video once the dubstep starts, even if people rave about how awesome the video itself is. Can't stand that shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not fond of most metal genres, but I do listen to some of it. I listen to pretty much everything from the 1950s to 2010s with the exception of death metal, rap and pop post 1980s.

I have a playlist for the electro/house/trance etc and another one for pop/rock/punk/blues/country/classical
    "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that".
    Bill Shankly
    "You're playing worse and worse every day and right now you're playing like it's next month".
    Herb Brooks

Deleted
    i listen to all kinds really but the most music am into is house music (progressive/deep)

these r some of the sets i made and put on youtube to give ppl a hint of what i like.
    and ofc lets not forget Daft Punk!! all time favourite.