It's just the internet!

I was looking at various WoW guilds. The vast majority advocates that they want or they struggle for a drama free environment. It got me into thinking what kind of drama they want to avoid, and if there is any form of "acceptable" occasion where raising your voice or arguing is not considered drama.

Some people claimed that drama comes from immaturity. Mature people have more important things to do than argue over such minor issues as guild or gaming issues. Which I guess it suits any offender and victimises anyone that might be on the recieving end of the offense.

So has the internet community, perhaps gaming community, concluded that it is fine to harrash, bully, cheat, abuse or whatever just because it's just the internet, it's just some purple pixels or a dragon that doesn't exist in reality? And that we should grow a thicker skin or "man it up"?

I am curious about people opinions regarding this.

Saw you post in the other thread, so might as well reply to you here.

It's not really an issue of 'manning up' or 'growing a thicker skin,' but more just an issue of 'why even get heated about X issue anyways?' Also, you mention 'harass, bullying, cheating, abusing' and then mention 'purple pixels or a dragon' when that's not really the same thing at all. It's perfectly reasonable to not put up with somebody being a giant flaming asshole, but it's not really reasonable to, say, get all furious because you didn't get a piece of loot. It's just not worth even getting angry in the first place over.

a computer isnt a valid excuse to be a dick bag to everyone just because they cant do anything to you for it. that said i will admit that it is quite easy to get over zealous online and over step where one wouldnt when face to face.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreeshak View Post
    It got me into thinking what kind of drama they want to avoid, and if there is any form of "acceptable" occasion where raising your voice or arguing is not considered drama.
    Oh, I don't know, the Holy Paladin was arguing with the Prot Warrior about something earlier in the day. Raid time. Prot Warrior goes in without a shield and has his pvp armor equipped, blames Holy Paladin for not healing him. Yes I've seen that. (In that case it was funny, because the prot warrior was in the officer chat saying he was going to do it. Still caused some drama we had to diffuse, though).

Moving on... "acceptable" to me keeping it quiet and private. If you have a concern about something, raise it quietly with the people involved. Don't hash it out in view of your entire guild.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't want to hear people bitch while I'm trying to unwind and play a game. I had a guild master, who happened to be my boss, screw a guild mates mom. Everyone knew I worked with him... Every 5 min, people asking questions, while I couldn't give a shit... I'm here to pew pew, not spew spew...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Long as you aren't being mean,rude,immature. I don't care who you are. Well I do but I'm pretty tolerant of people.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    I don't want to hear people bitch while I'm trying to unwind and play a game. I had a guild master, who happened to be my boss, screw a guild mates mom. Everyone knew I worked with him... Every 5 min, people asking questions, while I couldn't give a shit... I'm here to pew pew, not spew spew...
    aslong as it wasent rape. why would anyone care?
    i dont get the whole "let us meddle in this guys private life"

10+ Year Old Account
    People act that way online because of anonymity. They are showing their true personality, not the mask you see most of them wear offline where they run the risk of bodily harm.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    In real life, people are going to be an asshole to you for no reason. You can either let it break you or you can learn how to cope with it.

A lot of things in WoW aren't too different from real life. No, bullying's not okay, but no one really sees bullying going away any time soon so it's better to learn how to react to it. Same goes for harrassment in video games.

If anything, it's easier to handle in video games because you don't know any of these people in real life. Someone's insults about me being a "fat cow whore slut" really don't carry any weight because it's just some douche with anonymity on his/her side.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unproven View Post
    aslong as it wasent rape. why would anyone care?
    i dont get the whole "let us meddle in this guys private life"
    Just spewing gossip... It was so annoying and frankly uncomfortable... Not someone who's sex life I ever wanted to know about and definitely not discuss...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

15+ Year Old Account
    I always get the feeling that guilds that have a "no drama" rule only have it because they've have a shitload of drama in the past. It doesn't exactly make me want to join that guild.

Quote Originally Posted by BRiiGHTEYES View Post
    In real life, people are going to be an asshole to you for no reason. You can either let it break you or you can learn how to cope with it.
    In real life you also have the option of knocking said asshole out or tearing a new one into him or actually retaliating towards that person versus a video game where the worst that happens is you exclude that person from your online gaming life or you caps lock him to death

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care what environment the "bullying" is occuring in. A dick is a dick regardless of pixels or flesh. People who are being total asshats in a game are just as wrong as those behaving in the same manner as in real life. The internet is no excuse. In my opinion it is more pathetic. If you are going to be a pompous prick you had at the least do so in person. Don't pussy out behind a screen for God's sake, that is just pathetic.

Deleted
    I was looking at various WoW guilds. The vast majority advocates that they want or they struggle for a drama free environment. It got me into thinking what kind of drama they want to avoid, and if there is any form of "acceptable" occasion where raising your voice or arguing is not considered drama.

Some people claimed that drama comes from immaturity. Mature people have more important things to do than argue over such minor issues as guild or gaming issues. Which I guess it suits any offender and victimises anyone that might be on the recieving end of the offense.

So has the internet community, perhaps gaming community, concluded that it is fine to harrash, bully, cheat, abuse or whatever just because it's just the internet, it's just some purple pixels or a dragon that doesn't exist in reality? And that we should grow a thicker skin or "man it up"?

I am curious about people opinions regarding this.
    Where did you get the idea that dramafree guilds accepted that it's fine to harass, bully, cheat or abuse? The whole idea behind being drama free is that the guild envoirment is mature enough to understand that there is people on the other end and it's not just purple pixels and a dragon. You need a thick skin to be able withstand the idiots that are everywhere in WoW these days though, many of these idiots are immature kids that simply don't care and think it's just purple pixels and dragons, when the reality is far different.

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Where did you get the idea that dramafree guilds accepted that it's fine to harass, bully, cheat or abuse? The whole idea behind being drama free is that the guild envoirment is mature enough to understand that there is people on the other end and it's not just purple pixels and a dragon. You need a thick skin to be able withstand the idiots that are everywhere in WoW these days though, many of these idiots are immature kids that simply don't care and think it's just purple pixels and dragons, when the reality is far different.
    I think you might be right. I am so long without sleep to reason or argue. That said I will review the original statement when I sleep and rest
    I have a feeling I blundered the original post and any point i was going to make.

The internet is a hole of assholes

Well I can imagine people setting that rule. It's not fun when:

- People threaten to leave when they're not taken in on progression for 100%;
    - People moan about how they didn't get that loot item - cause obviously they deserved it more;
    - People saying they are going to sit out if their buddy isn't going to be taken in;
    - People who join as a package, where they have one badiator, all leaving because that guy failed the trial;
    - People being complete assholes to everyone in the guild, proper assholes.

I'm the same person online as I am offline and I treat people how I want to be treated. I can however see how some people are being a complete turnaround from what they usually are though, as a way of escape maybe, still no excuse for being a proper douchebag.

A raidleader complaining at the raidteam for not doing their job is not drama. A discussion following from guildmembers how they died and why they died and making a complete fuss about it can be drama etc.
    ~ stuff, the best thing ~

15+ Year Old Account

Yes, because there are many ways you can avoid it and never see it again. Better on here than actually abusing someone irl, and a nod to their side, if people are angry, they gotta take it out somewhere. It's easier to be a dick and an asshole on here, and it's also easier to just walk away from it if you are on the opposite end. And yes, people need thicker skin because all good arguements end with "It's just the internet". Sticks and Stones man.

Deleted
    I hate when I can't discuss things in guilds. If you respectfully argue then apparently you are causing drama and need to shut up so you don't offend the people who aren't even participating in the argument. Fuck me.