Thread: Boomie AoE help

Boomie AoE help

So on fights such as Lei Shen and Sha of Pride where there are very short add phases where the adds usually die very quickly I'm having trouble knowing what I should be doing. If the adds are only going to last 10ish seconds would it best to just put 1 elipsed dot on each of them and then go back to tunneling boss? Or should I be putting both dots on them all? (It seems like they'd all die before I even had the chance). Also, with hurricane...how many adds do I need to have in order for hurricane to be efficient? Thanks

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    This would partly depend if you're doing 10 or 25 Man Raiding. When you mention Lei Shen Adds, do you mean Ball Lightnings? In 25 Man those things should be AOE Gripped in, Stunned, and killed within a matter of roughly 5 seconds or so. You could throw in Hurricane if you feel the need to or leave it to AOE Classes like the Demo Warlocks when this was progression. Whereas in 10 Man you only have 3 Ball Lightnings (if done correctly) and you can basically just roll an Eclipsed DOT on each and leave it at that.

For Sha of Pride the same principle still stands. I Raid in 25 Man and know they're going to die really fast from AOE Classes. It's a DPS loss on the Boss to be Hurricaning unless it's really necessary to kill those Adds. I'm pretty sure you only want to be Hurricaning at 5+ Adds. If you have around 3 Adds an Eclipsed DOT will do. Never double DOT every Add unless it's during CA and you're using one GCD to do it. Remember to even have an effective Hurricane/Astral Storm it has to be Eclipsed and have the Nature's Grace Buff. Also Hurricane is still better than Astral Storm when it comes to AOEing but sometimes you can't always set up your Eclipse perfectly when you need to AOE.

Ok so on regular add phases on bosses where I do need to switch to a pack of adds I should just put an eclipsed dot on them all and then switch back to boss? And why in the world does hurricane do more dps than astral storm since hurricane is the uneclipsed version.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zimboombafoo View Post
    Ok so on regular add phases on bosses where I do need to switch to a pack of adds I should just put an eclipsed dot on them all and then switch back to boss? And why in the world does hurricane do more dps than astral storm since hurricane is the uneclipsed version.
    It depends on how many Adds and how long they'll live. This is where your judgement comes in. For example on Sha of Pride you could throw a few Eclipse DOTs out if there are a few Adds. However when people have higher Pride and more Adds spawn you could go in with Hurricane.

Hurricane is Nature so it's buffed by Solar Eclipse and Astral Storm is Arcane so it's buffed by Lunar Eclipse. For example myself right now (no Buffs) has 20.5k Hurricane ticks in Solar Eclipse and 17.5k Astral Storm ticks in Lunar Eclipse. No Eclipse it's around 10k ticks. This is why Hurricane and Solar Eclipse is better than Lunar Eclipse if you can help it for AOEing.

To AoE properly as a Boomy you roll a Lock : P.

JKJK. I've been struggling with this myself, and it is pretty reliant on a few things. For example, if your raid lead knows how bad boomy AoE is, they may be okay with you simply tunneling boss and not even bothering to dot up any of them. But if your group is pushing progression then they may still want you to. This is the first thing I would find out if I was you. Explain to your raid lead if need be, but they should know if they are worth their salt.

Next if the adds aren't dying fast and you are needed to help, then it's about the number of adds. Find out how much damage one tick of your eclipsed dot is doing, and then do the math to find out how many adds you need in order for hurricane to do more damage then multi dotting, and how many adds you can get dotted up with your current haste levels. Don't bother putting up a dot that isn't the eclipsed one as mentioned, but if it is timed right, you can refresh your not eclipsed dot on the boss before applying the eclipsed dot to the add in order to buff it's damage a bit, but it's not really something worth trying to do on purpose, unless you REALLY need damage for the adds. And if that is the case there is probably something else going on to cause this.

I'm the RL for my raid, so it makes it a bit easier, because I just assign other people to handle AoE stuff, and mostly tunnel the boss, or ONE add that needs to die immediately. And no one ever questions it.