Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1
    Herald of the Titans TheEaterofSouls's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Location
    Posts
    2,838

    What's up with "No-Flying", and why is it such a big deal?

    I haven't been paying attention to WoD much since Blizzcon. I keep hearing about this "no-flying" and everytime I see a thread on it. The pages are ridiculous, Why are so many people qqing. It's just a flight restriction. We had one in MoP didn't we?

  2. #2
    I don't think staying grounded until 6.1 is that much of a tragedy. I guess it's giving people the feeling that Blizzard might start giving in to the whining of old school complainers, and that flying is on it's way to being scrapped completely.

  3. #3
    had one in every expansion for the initial release.

    people qq because they are so use to using them that they dont like not having the ability to continue to use them until max level. The problem is, all the work blizz puts into making the worlds they want people to actually see what they have done other than just flying over it and never really getting a good look at it.

  4. #4
    Herald of the Titans TheEaterofSouls's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Location
    Posts
    2,838
    You'd expect something like "forced" 20man heroic raiding to be an issue. Or people qqing about the lack of gear customization....but THIS?!

    Riding privlages are apparently more QQ worthy than how heroic raiding should be structured or how gear is being streamlined

  5. #5
    High Overlord riptal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    I haven't been paying attention to WoD much since Blizzcon. I keep hearing about this "no-flying" and everytime I see a thread on it. The pages are ridiculous, Why are so many people qqing. It's just a flight restriction. We had one in MoP didn't we?
    Does someone can close this post? There are already about a thousand posts like this. Can you just look at the past posts about that please. We really dont need another one. Probably the OP comes from another planet.

    Thanks for posting! Seeya!
    Not sure if I'm a good guy but I'm working hard on it...

  6. #6
    Flying is one of my favorite things in game and now Blizz wants to prevent it in all current content going forward. Not flying has huge negative effect on my gameplay. It feels restrictive, tedious, my sense of character progression and abilities gets messed up it feels so wrong. I can't admire and explore the beautiful zones from the air. Pandaria just felt so tedious and blah from the ground when I could fly I realized how beautiful it was but on the ground I just don't appreciate that. I can live with a restriction that can be out leveled in a few days even though I hate it but not an entire patch and all new content going forward where my preferred gameplay is blocked and I am forced into an inferior, tedious, restrictive experience.

  7. #7
    Herald of the Titans TheEaterofSouls's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Location
    Posts
    2,838
    Quote Originally Posted by riptal View Post
    Does someone can close this post? There are already about a thousand posts like this. Can you just look at the past posts about that please. We really dont need another one. Probably the OP comes from another planet.

    Thanks for posting! Seeya!
    I'm not hear to complain about this thing. I just don't understand it, the QQ is throwing words all over the place. So my knowledge on this flying thing is limited.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by rebecca191 View Post
    Flying is one of my favorite things in game and now Blizz wants to prevent it in all current content going forward. Not flying has huge negative effect on my gameplay. It feels restrictive, tedious, my sense of character progression and abilities gets messed up it feels so wrong. I can't admire and explore the beautiful zones from the air. Pandaria just felt so tedious and blah from the ground when I could fly I realized how beautiful it was but on the ground I just don't appreciate that. I can live with a restriction that can be out leveled in a few days even though I hate it but not an entire patch and all new content going forward where my preferred gameplay is blocked and I am forced into an inferior, tedious, restrictive experience.
    No-one's contesting that no flying doesn't have disadvantages, but Blizzard's argument revolves around the very real gameplay and design problems that flying presents. The ability to pick up and land anywhere presents some very real issues that can't be gracefully solved through any yet-discovered means. Before someone mentions it, no, Monstrous Kaliri/fel cannons aren't a good solution. They didn't stop people from flying, they just knocked people down every now and then. Any anti-flying mechanic persuasive enough to make people elect to use ground travel instead would certainly be complained about extensively, just like the blanket flying block.

    Blizzard already disables flying in patch hubs, where possible, for this reason. It can be considered "tedious" and "restrictive", but so can any element of this game when viewed from a certain angle. Ultimately, they felt that flying was just too problematic for content design and have opted for a temporary no-fly period. If it works well, they'll do it again, and if it doesn't, they'll avoid doing it again. It might seem harsh, but there's no doubt that it's not a decision that Blizzard came to lightly, and if they receive significantly negative reception when it's actually implemented, they'll likely avoid it in the future. In the meantime, just try to ride it out (no pun intended) and see how significantly it really affects your experience. If it rolls around and you hate it, you're completely entitled to pass that feedback on.

  9. #9
    Dreadlord Csnyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    sarasota
    Posts
    902
    why make us earn something weve already earned

  10. #10
    Herald of the Titans TheEaterofSouls's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Location
    Posts
    2,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Eats Compost View Post
    No-one's contesting that no flying doesn't have disadvantages, but Blizzard's argument revolves around the very real gameplay and design problems that flying presents. The ability to pick up and land anywhere presents some very real issues that can't be gracefully solved through any yet-discovered means. Before someone mentions it, no, Monstrous Kaliri/fel cannons aren't a good solution. They didn't stop people from flying, they just knocked people down every now and then. Any anti-flying mechanic persuasive enough to make people elect to use ground travel instead would certainly be complained about extensively, just like the blanket flying block.

    Blizzard already disables flying in patch hubs, where possible, for this reason. It can be considered "tedious" and "restrictive", but so can any element of this game when viewed from a certain angle. Ultimately, they felt that flying was just too problematic for content design and have opted for a temporary no-fly period. If it works well, they'll do it again, and if it doesn't, they'll avoid doing it again. It might seem harsh, but there's no doubt that it's not a decision that Blizzard came to lightly, and if they receive significantly negative reception when it's actually implemented, they'll likely avoid it in the future. In the meantime, just try to ride it out (no pun intended) and see how significantly it really affects your experience. If it rolls around and you hate it, you're completely entitled to pass that feedback on.
    wtf? Seriously?!

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Eats Compost View Post
    No-one's contesting that no flying doesn't have disadvantages, but Blizzard's argument revolves around the very real gameplay and design problems that flying presents. The ability to pick up and land anywhere presents some very real issues that can't be gracefully solved through any yet-discovered means. Before someone mentions it, no, Monstrous Kaliri/fel cannons aren't a good solution. They didn't stop people from flying, they just knocked people down every now and then. Any anti-flying mechanic persuasive enough to make people elect to use ground travel instead would certainly be complained about extensively, just like the blanket flying block.

    Blizzard already disables flying in patch hubs, where possible, for this reason. It can be considered "tedious" and "restrictive", but so can any element of this game when viewed from a certain angle. Ultimately, they felt that flying was just too problematic for content design and have opted for a temporary no-fly period. If it works well, they'll do it again, and if it doesn't, they'll avoid doing it again. It might seem harsh, but there's no doubt that it's not a decision that Blizzard came to lightly, and if they receive significantly negative reception when it's actually implemented, they'll likely avoid it in the future. In the meantime, just try to ride it out (no pun intended) and see how significantly it really affects your experience. If it rolls around and you hate it, you're completely entitled to pass that feedback on.
    No thank you, I will be voting with my wallet. I know I can't tolerate this type of game play in a game that is supposed to be fun. Seriously how much no fly content do I have to do before I can say it just is not for me? If they remove lengthy requirement of quest I may return in 6.1 otherwise I will skip expac entirely but I will not pay Blizzard for a type of gameplay I despise.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by rebecca191 View Post
    No thank you, I will be voting with my wallet. I know I can't tolerate this type of game play in a game that is supposed to be fun. Seriously how much no fly content do I have to do before I can say it just is not for me? If they remove lengthy requirement of quest I may return in 6.1 otherwise I will skip expac entirely but I will not pay Blizzard for a type of gameplay I despise.
    If you don't even want to try it and it's enough to make you quit, then go ahead, quit. If enough people agree with you and do the same, then Blizzard will change their designs accordingly. I find it kind of strange that the inability to fly is treated as something new to the game given that Blizzard already does it for most areas that they can feasibly apply it to. I also find it kind of strange that people would outright quit over mount transport at all. But, again, it's up to you, and if you don't like it, you have every right to act on that.
    Last edited by Eats Compost; 2013-11-29 at 06:47 PM.

  13. #13
    Herald of the Titans TheEaterofSouls's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Location
    Posts
    2,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Csnyder View Post
    why make us earn something weve already earned
    Why does ash need to earn 8 badges again, when he's already gotten them the previous league? A fresh expansion means a fresh earnings.

    Why do you need to earn new raid gear?
    Why do we need to earn new reputation?
    What about restructured PvP ranks?

    You've "earned" this stuff already. You're earning it again. Stop complaining.

  14. #14
    Pandaren Monk Lora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Some random weird place
    Posts
    1,931
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    Why does ash need to earn 8 badges again, when he's already gotten them the previous league? A fresh expansion means a fresh earnings.

    Why do you need to earn new raid gear?
    Why do we need to earn new reputation?
    What about restructured PvP ranks?

    You've "earned" this stuff already. You're earning it again. Stop complaining.
    Except that's not the case at all. New stuff =/= earning the same skill you had for 6 fucking years. There's no good reason that we should have to wait and "earn" it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thedead241 View Post
    I'm a prostitute. Men like to tell me secrets. And women.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robozerim View Post
    Also....my condolences to whoever is Lora's lover. You got matched up with a madman, regardless of his alignment.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    Except that's not the case at all. New stuff =/= earning the same skill you had for 6 fucking years. There's no good reason that we should have to wait and "earn" it again.
    This already happens during the leveling process for every expansion, sans Cata. You can fly, you step into the new continent, then you can't fly. The only difference here is how long that lasts. You also get that skill regularly stripped away in certain areas, anyway. Flight deprivation is hardly a new thing.

  16. #16
    Scarab Lord Zka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    hungary
    Posts
    4,427
    Oh no, another flying topic.
    No flying isn't a big deal, but some people are drama queens.

    Retired raider coming back for WoD.
    WoD BETA CLUB

  17. #17
    Herald of the Titans Anzaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2,544
    Quote Originally Posted by Csnyder View Post
    why make us earn something weve already earned
    Expect you haven't learned how to fly in savage world, like Draenor.

    Previous flying licenses where for cold weather flying and regular Azeroth environment flying.
    Healer/Damage Dealer of SuN
    Highmaul: Normal 6/7, Heroic 1/7

  18. #18
    It's an example of Blizzard just giving up on innovation and is making a large chunk of our mounts useless.

  19. #19
    Legendary! Asmekiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Maybe over there
    Posts
    6,655
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    We had one in MoP didn't we?
    No, we didn't.

  20. #20
    The issue to me is not the lack of flying, it's the probability that we'll have to spend 2 to 3 months doing a long, tedious quest chain to unlock flying AND wait until the 6.1 patch hits.

    If flying requires 2 months of questing, starting whenever a player hits max level, I think WoW will lose a ton of subscriptions. The fact that the lack of flying will be a complete surprise to many players won't help either.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •