Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Did you get your significant other to start playing WoW? If so, how?

Been playing WoW since BC, I have a beautiful wife that understands that I love WoW, she never gets pissed if i play too much, just fantstic overall. But I was thinking how amazing it would be if I could somehow get her into it (she's not a big gamer). So if you have got your S/O to start playing WoW how did you do it?

10+ Year Old Account
    He got me to play it just by asking me to. I'd already played every Warcraft game there is (he never did, surprisingly) and so I decided to finally try the MMO version.

Deleted
    I had a mate coming over to play on our laptops in the living room. She was home and had to listen to us having fun questing. 2 months later she was in as well.

My wife asked about it several times and had to listen to me talking with my dad about it. After a few months she tried it out. She quit the first time she grouped with people saying "they take this way too seriously and are a bunch of assholes." This was pre-maraudon.

Deleted
    Me, male, playing online for roughly 15 years now (Starcraft: Broodwar, D2, Ragnarok Online, WoW) was asking my GF (same age) for a LAN as my birthday present She refused to try WoW for nearly 2 years, but then we played RaF for two days. She's playing since then, for 1.5 years now. And you know what? She's doing pretty good (10/14 HC). I'm a little worried that I'm responsible for her addiction tho ;(

10+ Year Old Account
    Hell no. My wife HATES WoW, & I mean hates it with a burning passion. Back in Classic WoW I was in a World 1st type of guild with a 5+ day a week raiding schedule and even though I've been retired from raiding for years and only PvP a little here and there she still hates it to this day.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Adryal View Post
    Been playing WoW since BC, I have a beautiful wife that understands that I love WoW, she never gets pissed if i play too much, just fantstic overall. But I was thinking how amazing it would be if I could somehow get her into it (she's not a big gamer). So if you have got your S/O to start playing WoW how did you do it?
    My wife was into games, she mostly just played the SIMS and other such games. I actually bought WoW for her, and then ended up buying one for myself, so I could show her how to play. I eventually became the WoW addict and she moved on to other games (at least she plays stuff like Skyrim and Guild Wars).

Personally, I'd recommend not spending too much energy trying to get her to like your activity. Let her enjoy her activities and you enjoy yours. Show interest in her stuff, support her in whatever she does and I think you'll find she'll support you in yours. Of course, there are limits. When raids start to consume all your time and she becomes 2nd, you can expect she'll be unhappy. Occasionally the wife lets me know that I'm never available for movies or whatever, so I normally either stop playing a while or stop joining so many pug raids. Balance and compromise is really more important than getting them to play.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2013-11-25 at 03:04 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd say remember how many people have played WoW, and for how long. The game is very likely to suck her in. All you have to do is get her to try it.

Asking her to try it, or having her watch you play won't work. You have to "set the mood" so to speak. (LOL) Buy the game, install the software for her, get all the patches and whatnot (boring!) and do whatever you can do to make everything as comfortable as possible for her, then kind of sit back and watch the magic happen. Don't push, don't over complicate things by talking about addons or theorycrafting or anything like that (you'll scare her off). Once she's created a character offer to create a new one and run around with her. If she balks at all then drop it (some people really like to do things on their own) and if you do play with her right from the start try to let her lead and play at her own pace with you following behind. Don't just drag her through everything at lightning speed. She'll want/need to discover places and learn things on her own and you don't want to interfere with that. Once you start playing, getting hooked on WoW is easy.

I started playing a few months before BC came out. I was never a gamer. I'd play solitaire and Tetris and I enjoyed a couple of minor RPG console games once in a while, but that's it. I'd heard of WoW, saw a couple of you tube videos someone showed me (particularly Leroy Jenkins and the horde crashing the ally funeral), and when my husband started playing City of Heroes I thought I thought I'd kill some time and give WoW a try. I ended up asking him to roll a new character a day later to help me kill a mob in the starting area and we just kept playing ("Hey ... there's a guy over there with an exclamation point!" --- it just sucks you in.) That was 7 1/2 years ago, and our subscriptions have never lapsed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    My wife was into games, she mostly just played the SIMS and other such games. I actually bought WoW for her, and then ended up buying one for myself, so I could show her how to play. I eventually became the WoW addict and she moved on to other games (at least she plays stuff like Skyrim and Guild Wars).

Personally, I'd recommend not spending too much energy trying to get her to like your activity. Let her enjoy her activities and you enjoy yours. Show interest in her stuff, support her in whatever she does and I think you'll find she'll support you in yours. Of course, there are limits. When raids start to consume all your time and she becomes 2nd, you can expect she'll be unhappy. Occasionally the wife lets me know that I'm never available for movies or whatever, so I normally either stop playing a while or stop joining so many pug raids. Balance and compromise is really more important than getting them to play.
    thats what we have been doing for a while now. she loves to paint, so usually she will wait for raid days (2 times a week) and she will start a painting up while i raid. i just really know that she willl love the social aspect of wow, really.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Hell no. My wife HATES WoW, & I mean hates it with a burning passion. Back in Classic WoW I was in a World 1st type of guild with a 5+ day a week raiding schedule and even though I've been retired from raiding for years and only PvP a little here and there she still hates it to this day.
    im sorry to hear that. Does she not enjoy you having fun?

I hadn't played for years when my GF decided that she wanted to try it for the first time, and she dragged me back.

She doesn't enjoy him shitting in a sock in front of the computer for 16 hours a day, I'd imagine.

10+ Year Old Account
    My brother used to play way, way back in the day...he got my ex-husband playing it. My ex begged me to play and after about a year I gave in.

We did end up divorcing (unrelated to anything having to do with the game) but my current SO I actually met playing WoW. Been playing together almost six years now, along with other MMOs occasionally. It's never been a problem. We rarely ever give each other "aggro" for playing.

We've also gotten his sister and brother-in-law started playing now.

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    My gf is slowly playing, but its hard with only 1 computer since my laptop is a poor substitute to the 32in tv.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

10+ Year Old Account
    My wife doesn't mind me playing video games in general and will even play certain types (side scroller Mario/Donkey Kong) of games with me. She just hates WoW due to my heavy raid schedule from way back when, which in hindsight was entirely too much. Seriously, I would get home from work, spend like 30-60 mins with her wolffing down my dinner then log in and farm up consumables for that night's raid, and then raid. I'd play a solid 5-6 hours a day for 5 or 6 days a week. Like I said, entirely too much.
    Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2013-11-25 at 04:59 PM.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

I did manage to get him to play with me... a little. He mostly levels and does professions, but he really enjoys questing together, so I make sure to keep a toon near his "main's" level (he's 73) and am leading him through some of my favorite Wrath quests.

I got him to play with me by explaining that it would mean a lot if he would try it, because it would give us something to do together while I was away at college. He knows that it's a very big part of my life- and I've spent almost 40% of my life playing- so he picked up the Battle Chest and expansions up through Cata when they were on sale about a year ago.

You really don't have to be much of a gamer to enjoy it- he'd never played an MMO or a console game outside of Tales of Symphonia (also with me) before I got him to play WoW. He's pretty terrible, but he does just fine questing and he has fun. It helped that he made a bit of a background story for his character, and gave his character a lot of personality, so he got attached.

Unfortunately, his Mac is pretty much a potato, and Blizzard has stopped supporting his OS.... time for an update, which we're planing to get for Christmas this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been playing wow since vanilla....when BC came out i became friends with a warlock in game for about 2 years...then we kinda got close started talking outside of wow (we lived in diff states)...well we decided to meet had her fly out for a week...after that we couldn't stay apart....so i had her move in with me been together almost 6 years have a kid that turns 5 next year and we still play wow mostly at nights when the kid is asleep

Deleted
    I had a nice deal actually. Been an MMO (and other types of online/offline games) player for years but started to feel too old for this, had a year break of all games. Then I met him. He asked me to play it, said he'd buy me the needed stuff and first month of game time. So I had to agree, since I wanted to do something cool with him online and their raiding schedule was good for me. It's been almost 9 months since that, he got permabanned halfway, I'm still playing. But I still feel like a retired player. I'm doing my role fine but not as passionate about it as I should (like jumping for all new patch notes etc).

15+ Year Old Account
    Wow did it. I had gotten a gift certificate for my birthday, and randomly bought wow to finish it off. I remember my wife peeking over my shoulder by the time I hit lvl 4, and by the time I was lvl 10, she was a regular melee priest in tirisfal glades.. This was in 2005 or 2006, and we're still playing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesneed View Post
    The Ashpole?

10+ Year Old Account
    He got curious when he saw I was playing a game he'd never played before (though he had played the other Warcraft games) and decided to get it and play it as well.

He says it was because I played too much and he wanted to talk to me.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

My hubby bought WoW for himself back in 2005, and for a few weeks kept trying to get me interested, back then my gaming experience was C64, nintendo and sega consoles, and a bit of sims.

I wasn't interested and had no clue what WoW was anyway lol. But he kept going on about how amazing it was and that I should try it, so to shut him up I figured I would try it then he could stop going on about it!

So he put in front of the PC, ran the cinematic, (the night elf running through the forest and turning into a panther perked my interest slightly) So I decided to make a nelf druid.

Got in game, and then sat there perplexed that I didn't have a controller to move, to which my hubby explained I use the mouse and keyboard... I wasn't amused , it felt strange. Then I picked up my first quest, and hours later he had to drag me away haha.

Got my own account, and have been hooked since. He hasn't played for years now, but I still do, secretly I bet he is kicking himself that he ever pushed me into trying it out lol.

Deleted
    Never again in my experience

WoW is ME time, it's healthier not being in each others face 24 7