10+ Year Old Account

Disc Priest Advice

Hey folks, I'm the RL for a 10m and we just conquered Garrosh on normal for the first time yay us.

It's come to my attention that while our disc priest is doing a pretty good job, she could be doing more.

I'm not entirely familiar with how to disc. But I've been told by a friend that her throughput should be higher.

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...heira/advanced

Logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/ouj9yteilf15hfsz/
    ~Don't just rage the day away, try new things!~
    Warcraft: Shando - <FoE> - 110 Druid - Turalyon-US
    http://foeturalyon.enjin.com <Foe> Website, check us out!
    http://www.twitch.tv/shandi235 live stream my guild's raids, other stuff

Deleted
    Those red gems should be Int+Crit, yellow slots should be pure Crit gems and blue slots spirit+crit.

She has way more spirit than she really needs. I'm running 8 - 8.5k and have no mana issues whatsoever in normals (she has 15.5k AND use a spirit flask it seems).
    Basically, instead of reforging mastery to crit, she should be reforging spirit to crit.

I'll let others go into more detail with the logs, but from quickly skimming through them it seems like she needs to use archanger A LOT more, basically on cooldown... 25% bonus healing and 10% crit for 18 sec every 30 sec is huge.

I've got it macroed to PoH and my level 90 talents personally.

Prayer of Healing macro: (script to remove the "you can't cast that" sound)
    #showtooltip Prayer of Healing
    /run sfx=GetCVar("Sound_EnableSFX");
    /console Sound_EnableSFX 0
    /cast Archangel
    /cast Inner Focus
    /cast Prayer of Healing
    /run UIErrorsFrame:Clear()
    /run SetCVar("Sound_EnableSFX",sfx);

Level 90 Talent(s) macro (switches automatically between them when you change talent). Macro has to be called "90 Talents" for it to work.
    #showtooltip Halo
    /cast Archangel
    /cast Cascade
    /cast Divine Star
    /cast Halo
    /run SetMacroSpell("90 Talents", GetSpellInfo"Cascade" or GetSpellInfo"Divine Star" or "Halo")
    Last edited by mmoc1b009d603f; 2013-11-25 at 05:17 PM.

Gear:

-Way too much spirit as stated above me. Because of the high effciency of rapture returns, the LMG, and regen trinkets combined with Atonement being access to extremely effective smart healing-- honestly nothing more than 12k-13k on the hardest heroic fights could ever really be "needed".

-Int stopped being valuable over secondaries around the 32k SP point. Crit is now more valuable that Int in every instance. IMHO, even in JC gems if you're in the 560+ range. Red sockets --> Int/Crit, Yellow sockets --> Crit , Blue Sockets--> Spi/Crit. Reforge out of spirit and into Crit > Mastery.

-They should have mastery on their gloves, not haste.

Talents/Glyphs:

-Power Infusion is weak this tier. Ditch it in favor of ToF. ToF on Garrosh is awesome. You can throw a dot up on a desecrated weapon and adds to maintain a high uptime. ToF nearly always pull ahead. It also double dips from atonement.

-Inner Sanctum glyph > Inner Fire ime.

Logs:

-They're using renew at times. Not sure why
    -They're using SW: P like all the time, but don't even have ToF spec'd. I can't really understand why.
    -Atonement needs: HF on CD, Penance on CD. They're a bit far off from these values, occasionally favorite Smite over the other two which are off CD.
    -They need to improve their rapture returns, and overall, their PW: S usage. On Paragons (and this was one of the best attempts... for this) they used PW: S 31 times out of a possible 47 just from Rapture alone (those are FREE). They don't seem to track their LMG proc either
    -They need to use Spirit Shell. They use it randomly/ not at the best times
    -Inner Focus is a thing. A great thing. Combine it with SS for awesome SS.

They tend to rely of PoH spam over well thought out SS application followed by level 90 talent and atonement triage

They need to use Archangel. Desperately so even.

They're gearing for spirit yet aren't consistently using MB or Hymn or Potions. Always use the other tools available to you before turning to gearing changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Naer View Post
    -Inner Focus is a thing. A great thing. Combine it with SS for awesome SS.
    ^^
    ^^!

There's not a single cast of Inner Focus by her in that entire log. It can definitely improve throughput, and on some fights hugely impactful (nice that you have 2 pallies for Thok... We have to deal with that boss in 25m with only 1 so the interrupt immunity is something I can't imagine not taking advantage of).

The vast majority of disc effective healing should be in the form of absorbs, with Divine Aegis as the largest component by far. Smart use of Hymn of Hope, Mindbender, and Rapture (along with taking advantage of Lucidity procs) should enable her to basically reforge every piece of gear she has towards crit that doesn't already have it, from haste or spirit. Reforging away from mastery is a bad, bad idea, as mastery benefits disc doubly by offering a flat increase in raw healing and then double-dipping against that by increasing the size of any resulting absorbs.

The more haste you have, the more spirit you will need to maintain 'chaincasting' a similar catalog of spells. Personally, I run crit > mastery > spirit > haste, and have had no problems whatsoever maintaining mana in any normal mode (25m) content.

Disc is one of those specs that can 'faceroll' and appear to perform reasonably well, but smart management of the toolbox can have a dramatic impact on the raid's healing needs.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Quote Originally Posted by Heap View Post
    /run SetMacroSpell("90 Talents", GetSpellInfo"Cascade" or GetSpellInfo"Divine Star" or "Halo")
    Not to derail the thread, but I could kiss you firmly on the mouth for providing that. I was so tired of manually editing the order in which those spells appeared in my macro.