Soul Reaper Change - not applying to DRW

Got my hopes up, but it doesn't look like the recent change to Soul Reaper (DoT now damages the target if the DK dies before it expires and the target is below 35%) applies to Dancing Rune Weapon. I determined this from in game testing. We will still only get 1 extra DoT hit from a DRW cast.

There is a question though of how hard it will hit if the DK is dead. As I understand it the DoT takes your current AP/mastery values when it hits (AKA it dynamically updates). I wonder if the DoT takes your base AP (likely) or if it is now snapshotting (unlikely as it is a significant change).

As you were.
    Last edited by Hemalador; 2013-11-26 at 04:29 AM.

All in all it's not really even worth noting this. If you have DRW then you are a tank. A dead tank is useless, so theoretically we should never have a time where this becomes a worthwhile note of free damage after death.
    It's a nice change overall however, I mean now I guess if we die it will still go off and we get a last hurrah? Imo it will just take base AP as that is where it would dynamically update to though.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxweii View Post
    All in all it's not really even worth noting this. If you have DRW then you are a tank. A dead tank is useless, so theoretically we should never have a time where this becomes a worthwhile note of free damage after death.
    If it did apply while DRW was up it would be a nice increase to damage, and would subtely change the way we use the ability. If soul reaper now snapshots it changes the way we use it also. This would be especially true for Unholy.

Okay now you are going in circles.
    Nowhere did I, or you say that Soul Reaper can't be applied by DRW, it CAN and DOES do this. However you said that it does not the the damage upon expiration when the DK is dead, which was fixed so that now it will for the DK. As this means the tank is dead, since only tanks have DRW, well then it's no big deal and it's not worth noting as I explained above.
    If they were going to completely rework how the ability works and make it so that it now snapshots then they would have announced that as well. When it expires and we are dead it will use current stats, it will update dynamically if we are alive so if we are dead it dynamically updates to whatever your baseline AP (unbuffed and such) is.

I think perhaps you misunderstood what I'm getting at. If soul reaper DoT can do damage when the DK is dead, there was a chance that the abilities logic would then apply to the second application of the Soul Reaper DoT for DRW. ATM you cannot get the second Soul Reaper from DRW because DRW despawns before the second DoT expires. This change could well have applied to DRW despawning. I'm well aware that Tanks shouldn't be dying in raids.

It is also possible that the way the abilities logic has changed would involve snapshotting. ATM to my knowledge Soul reaper is the only DoT which doesn't snapshot. Just because blizzard hasn't specifically said "Soul Reaper now snapshots" does not mean that there is no possibility the recent change does this.

15+ Year Old Account
    I guess summary is that the DRW version still doesn't tick after the DRW expires. Yes?

On topic, DRW still is often unresponsive in the first few seconds. Better than before but could be better.

Deleted
    @Maxweii - ofc dead tank is useless but there are a lot of situations when tanks dying first when fight hits enrage timer or healers dies before and sometimes this little extra dmg can save the day.

For example, on our first kill on LS HC soul reaper made that kill (log fragment):

last alive person dies 2secs ago

[23:09:54.753] Dariussv afflicted by Shroud of Purgatory from Dariussv (Remaining: 11861)
    [23:09:57.993] Dariussv dies
    [23:09:57.996] Dariussv killed Lei Shen
    [23:09:58.237] Dariussv Soul Reaper Lei Shen 50037 (O: 233767)
    [23:09:58.237] Lei Shen dies

I think you guys are misunderstanding the thread. The issue the OP is reporting is a misreading or misinterpretation of the hotfix.

Before the hotfix, using SR with DRW up would put two soul reaper debuffs on the target, however if the DRW buff on yourself expired before the debuff, it would not deal damage from the one applied by the rune weapon. The misunderstanding was that this hotfix fixed this behavior.

However this hotfix only changed SR to allow it to proc when the DK himself is dead. From personal experience, this is quite nice as you can miss kills by dying just before the SR procs, especially in pvp.

The point is that this hotfix has very few relevant pve applications despite what the hotfix can be interpretative as being.