Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

More Mercenary Fun!

This past weekend I got back into my Mercenary. I was able to push him through Chapter 2 fairly quickly and reach 45 so I could get Heatseeker Missile.

I haven't had much issue thus far in PvP (or PvE) with the class, certainly not as much as people have indicated. Now, bear in mind I'm speaking from a pre-55 standpoint, but the class has a very diverse and useful toolkit. It allows for a very flexible play style, and the only thing I can really note that seems to make or break my success with this class is how I position myself in the battlefield.

I recorded a few matches over the weekend, but I only uploaded a Huttball game due specifically because of positioning. A lot of the matches I was able to just gun down opponents without much effort, and in review it wasn't quite as interesting as this game. I uploaded it to my YouTube channel if you want to have a look. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4mvQGcNjQM

Stop uploading whole games.

Make an effort of actually editing your video, then we'll make an effort to watch it.

Warning: Please do not be disrespectful. There is clearly a positive discussion going on- don't ruin it.
    Last edited by Forsedar; 2013-12-02 at 11:51 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post

Make an effort of actually editing your video, then we'll make an effort to watch it.
    I quite enjoyed it....watched it while I was eating

I like my Arsenal Merc......like you said I've found positioning is key. In Civil War if you can get up on the side platforms in mid you can unleash a whole world of hurt.

10+ Year Old Account

You mean edit a bunch of cherry picked scenes so it looks like I am a PvP god, then add in some shaky camera effects and explosive transitions that cut out where I die horribly, and then put it all to a super obscure dubstep beat? Nah, not my style and not the type of videos I like to watch either. I prefer watching entire matches, so that is what I upload.

Still not convinced on Commandos dps for pvp (not at top level, I don't have the xpac). For small zones like arenas you are toast, you need ground advantage or you are toast, if an opponent has a half-functioning brain then you are number 1 target for the whole match (and you are toast); so from my personal experience I am not convinced at all. Sure, if you can stay at the back and cast uninterrupted then you can melt faces, but how often does that happen? When playing with other classes, if I spot a commando/mercenary I just focus on them (without ignoring objectives) for the whole match because a) I can beat them easier than anyone else and b) if they are left alone they will hurt us. This binary playstyle for pvp is extremely annoying for my taste and the reason I stopped pvping with my commando.

For PvE on the other hand I really like them, no complaints there.

I'm assuming heatseeker missiles is the analogue to commando's demolition rounds? I might try it anyway on my commando...even if she's still going to be a sitting duck with the cast/channel times on things :P. Wasn't really looking to pvp in swtor, but Huttball actually looks fun. Maybe could book it up top to help run interference and drop some hail mary heals somewhere before I get wtfbbq'd into the ground, lol.

Nice match. It's good see a pvp match where people actually giving two sh*ts about completing objectives and not just farming pvp currency. (My old beef with wow pvp.)
    Currently playing: GW, TORTANIC.
    Still visit: TSW, W*, GW2, Rift, LOTRO, ESO.
    Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by catcommando View Post
    Nice match. It's good see a pvp match where people actually giving two sh*ts about completing objectives and not just farming pvp currency. (My old beef with wow pvp.)
    I remember those, Warsong Gulch - sitting in the GY waiting for respawn and seeing the flag motoring through the midfield while my whole team just tunnel vision on HKs utterly oblivious to the flag.
    Oh and I'm in the GY because I will have been merrily running through the battleground (not in combat) only to see the 'Return To Graveyard' button appear at the same time as a fully loomed rogue.

@OP, you should enable the option in your settings to have people's resolve bars show under their name plate. Yours too. And your health bar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortal Strike View Post
    @OP, you should enable the option in your settings to have people's resolve bars show under their name plate. Yours too. And your health bar.
    I'll try that out this weekend and see how it looks. Normally I don't mess too much with the UI. Thanks. =)

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    You mean edit a bunch of cherry picked scenes so it looks like I am a PvP god, then add in some shaky camera effects and explosive transitions that cut out where I die horribly, and then put it all to a super obscure dubstep beat? Nah, not my style and not the type of videos I like to watch either. I prefer watching entire matches, so that is what I upload.
    Yeah watching some run 50% of the time and idle for 25% of the time is fun fun FUN.

Explains why swtor has some players left - there are some people with alien concept of fun.

Yeah watching some run 50% of the time and idle for 25% of the time is fun fun FUN.

Explains why swtor has some players left - there are some people with alien concept of fun.
    I think you are exaggerating a bit. The video was actually very fun overall, I wish I got pug games like this. However, (imo) it failed to prove that mercenaries/commandos have "a versatile toolkit" that allows them to be above average in pvp. From what I saw, he/she spammed the mercenary equivalents of grav rounds/full auto/hib procs/auto attack most of the time (like we all do), threw some heals on 1 or 2 occasions and tried to utilise the AoE pushback in a way to push opponents off the ramps. Considering a sage/sorcerer get that much by level 20, plus bubbles for everyone (vs self-bubble only) plus sprint (notice how you got burned just before the line in one occasion), I just still don't rate commandos/mercenaries for pvp, at least pre 51. That's just my personal opinion though and nothing more, as long as the player is having fun then that's all that matters.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pourekos View Post
    However, (imo) it failed to prove that mercenaries/commandos have "a versatile toolkit" that allows them to be above average in pvp. From what I saw, he/she spammed the mercenary equivalents of grav rounds/full auto/hib procs/auto attack most of the time (like we all do), threw some heals on 1 or 2 occasions and tried to utilise the AoE pushback in a way to push opponents off the ramps. Considering a sage/sorcerer get that much by level 20, plus bubbles for everyone (vs self-bubble only) plus sprint (notice how you got burned just before the line in one occasion), I just still don't rate commandos/mercenaries for pvp, at least pre 51. That's just my personal opinion though and nothing more, as long as the player is having fun then that's all that matters.
    I don't think the intention of the OP was to claim that Mercs/Commandos are above average in PvP, only that they are viable in PvP (even 4v4) and are not a free kill as lots of people would have you believe.
    I agree with you that the SI/Sage get all of the abilities of the merc/commando and one or two more, however I've found that the merc deals out a lot more damage than the SI so what you lose a little in survivability tricks you gain in damage output. I don't have any numbers to back up my 'feelings' about damage output I've just found that I seem to burn players down a lot quicker with the merc than the SI.
    I see it as a trade off between wanting more versatility or less versatility with extra damage output...whichever more closely matches your personal style.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    You mean edit a bunch of cherry picked scenes so it looks like I am a PvP god, then add in some shaky camera effects and explosive transitions that cut out where I die horribly, and then put it all to a super obscure dubstep beat?
    In my opinion, making a PvP video isn't about making you look like a PvP god, it's about entertainment and respect for the viewers.
    Overall, your video was enjoyable to watch.
    You focused on the objectives, helped take down the ball-carrier, supported with assist heals...

Nevertheless, it would have been even more enjoyable if you took the time to fast-forward on the segments where nothing was happening (e.g. just like Idev mentionned : waiting for the respawn gate, running back to the center...).
    Also, adding some music (not necessarily dubstep! XD) would have made your video less... "plain".

I assume your viewers are all SWTOR players and they probably all heard the game's soundtrack well enough ^^'
    This PvP video could have been an occasion for you to share some music that you like

Quote Originally Posted by Bolverk View Post
    I don't think the intention of the OP was to claim that Mercs/Commandos are above average in PvP, only that they are viable in PvP (even 4v4) and are not a free kill as lots of people would have you believe.
    I agree with you that the SI/Sage get all of the abilities of the merc/commando and one or two more, however I've found that the merc deals out a lot more damage than the SI so what you lose a little in survivability tricks you gain in damage output. I don't have any numbers to back up my 'feelings' about damage output I've just found that I seem to burn players down a lot quicker with the merc than the SI.
    I see it as a trade off between wanting more versatility or less versatility with extra damage output...whichever more closely matches your personal style.
    And I agree that commandos, specifically gunnery, can do more damage. My point though was that both highest dps trees (gunnery and lightning) are turrets and in my (perhaps too old school) mind a turret will/should rarely be allowed to cast because the opponents will pay dearly. So it all falls on a) the utility you have in order to either create space for you, meet map objectives or assist your team b) utilising the terrain for your advantage (which the OP did very well imo) and c) having your team peel for you so that you can cast and destroy people. Points b and c are moot in a pug, so it all falls to point a where I feel commandos are not strong enough (pre 50 always). That was all.

At the end of the day the whole discussion might be considered irrelevant simply because it is pre-top level. As a preferred-status scum, I do not have access to level 55 so I can't comment on that. It would be nice if the OP posts some videos once he/she gets to 55 or even at 51 with the electronet.

As for the discussion about the merits of the video itself, I repeat that I found it enjoyable as it is, but different people have different tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by catcommando View Post
    I'm assuming heatseeker missiles is the analogue to commando's demolition rounds? I might try it anyway on my commando...even if she's still going to be a sitting duck with the cast/channel times on things :P. Wasn't really looking to pvp in swtor, but Huttball actually looks fun. Maybe could book it up top to help run interference and drop some hail mary heals somewhere before I get wtfbbq'd into the ground, lol.

Yes, Heatseeker = Demo Round. It's an entirely enjoyable spec to run around with.

Just filmed some arena, but I am only lvl 40. Mecr is Fun
    Kenny gona die tonight!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gouky View Post

Just filmed some arena, but I am only lvl 40. Mecr is Fun
    I didn't realize there was low level arena. I just came back to the game. Can you please explain the queueing? (are there still regular warzone queues? Is this part of the warzone queue or a separate queue? Is it solo queue only or groups allowed?)

Low level PvP was always fun to me, but I hated max level pvp. I'm starting fresh on a new server and leveling a bunch of toons. Maybe I'll get into this until I hit 55.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortal Strike View Post
    I didn't realize there was low level arena. I just came back to the game. Can you please explain the queueing? (are there still regular warzone queues? Is this part of the warzone queue or a separate queue? Is it solo queue only or groups allowed?)

Low level PvP was always fun to me, but I hated max level pvp. I'm starting fresh on a new server and leveling a bunch of toons. Maybe I'll get into this until I hit 55.
    you just queue and some times they pop up. Starting from lvl 10. All arenas are in rotation it seems
    Kenny gona die tonight!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gouky View Post
    you just queue and some times they pop up. Starting from lvl 10. All arenas are in rotation it seems
    So they're mixed in with the warzone queues? that sucks, forget it then.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Neos300 View Post
    So they're mixed in with the warzone queues? that sucks, forget it then.
    I thought that at first but it's not so bad, they're fun and people seem quite tolerant of lesser skilled PvPers (like me) probably because they know we're all thrown in together. I've not tried ranked stuff that may be a different story though.