Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
  1. #121
    Remember though that the power of naked DoTs vs. the power of MG was changed up not because of DoT snapshotting but because KJC was going away and it was a hot mess in PvP.

    I agree that removing DoT snapshotting will allow devs to place more of an emphasis on rotational mechanics. Just don't forget the PvP problem with such an emphasis on MG.

    Devs always had a hard time balancing Aff regarding multi DoT fights and single target. Pandemic and SB:SS just make it more pronounced.
    Last edited by Grizelda; 2013-12-15 at 03:53 PM.

  2. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizelda View Post
    Remember though that the power of naked DoTs vs. the power of MG was changed up not because of DoT snapshotting but because KJC was going away and it was a hot mess in PvP.

    I agree that removing DoT snapshotting will allow devs to place more of an emphasis on rotational mechanics. Just don't forget the PvP problem with such an emphasis on MG.

    Devs always had a hard time balancing Aff regarding multi DoT fights and single target. Pandemic and SB:SS just make it more pronounced.
    MG itself was there to replace Shadow Embrace, which was itself a throttle on multidotting. MG initially swung that pendulum a bit too far toward single target, but lets not forget that the dots themselves ultimately got nerfed too thanks in no small part to snapshots.

  3. #123
    I don't know what to think of this change, but so far I tend to welcome it.

    For single target, all I can say is that before SB:SS and pandemic (so before MOP), affli didn't really use to abuse snapshotting and it was an ok spec: not too hard (except for start of WOTLK with 5 dots/haunt/SE), not too boring. Did a proc happen when your dots were close to the end? Yeah, you'd refresh them x2, else you'd only refresh them close to the end of the proc, but that was pretty much it. A proc was not always demanding a dot refresh asap. Nor could we manage our Haunts back then, so reacting to procs was pretty low in terms of rewarding good gameplay. At least now we can react to procs with Haunts, and we have pandemic to play with a bit.

    As far as multitarget goes, I'm sure affli will still be challenging/entertaining at it.

    At least they can keep the strong type of procs we had during MOP without some specs (like affli) being absurdly good (1.5-2 million dps at protectors pull, with wush + BB anyone?).

  4. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by Strepp View Post
    As it stands, dot length will be determined by proc length in WoD
    ...
    What's the point of being a dot class in WoD?
    Prior to short-term powerful buffs, the point of being a dot class was being able to trade up-front damage for better multi-target damage and somewhat shorter cast times/more mobility.

    Up until mid-Cataclysm, I don't recall a lot of people talking about DoT snapshots being a core part of their class/spec.

    I think a lot of people are trying to disguise the feeling of being "OP" with procs + dots as being "skilled."
    For a different example, I enjoy the hell out of UVLS with demonology. It's fun to have huge amounts of imps + resources. It's not particularly skillful to utilize UVLS, though. I watch my buff bar or set up a weakaura and I click my "shift into meta and cast doom" macro when I see the buff.

  5. #125
    Bad change; even with the addon, it separated bad from good from great. Affliction (up until recently) has always been about constantly tracking lots of small things (dot timers, procs, individual tick times, etc.) instead of tracking large things (CDs mostly). It has always been tedious, but that's why some players (myself included) love to play aff in PvP and PvE. I despise MG and the soul shard system (in its current form), although I know lots of people like having big CDs to manage.

    This was expected, though. They removed so many fun things from affliction, and added boring/mindless things. The old shadowtrance system was much more fun than the current soulshard system imo, for PvE but especially PvP. Soul Swap (at least on a low CD) was a terrible addition to this game. Eradication, shadowbolt spam, and managing dot clipping (can't do any of these any more) were extremely fun for a lot of us. Drain soul ticks being huge was a ton of fun in PvP, but also decently skillful in PvE (not clipping any of the ticks while not clipping dots was so fun... so many warlocks never did this). Shadow Embrace was hugely important in PvE and PvP; I was one of the few warlocks that I personally ever raided with that spread shadow embrace stacks to 2 or 3 bosses while maintaining dots and haunt to get that extra oomph, for fights that allowed it. The only braindead thing I ever liked about affliction was haunt/sb refreshing corruption (and drain soul refreshing corr and UA), mostly because it saved globals and made the execute phase more about managing drain soul ticks along with haunt. That had its problems (LOL at perma lusted/tricksd/PI/proc-empowered 8s corruption for an entire fight in ICC), but it was the only real "make it easier" mechanic I actually liked.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    MG itself was there to replace Shadow Embrace, which was itself a throttle on multidotting. MG initially swung that pendulum a bit too far toward single target, but lets not forget that the dots themselves ultimately got nerfed too thanks in no small part to snapshots.
    It was a throttle to some extent, but some warlocks like myself liked to keep it up on 2 targets when we could for even more multi-target DPS. The dots have been nerfed repeatedly partially due to MG, but mostly due to soul swap, especially in PvP. On a sidenote, MG would be much more fun if it "ticked" like drain soul does, rather than being constant, so we had something to track a la old shadowbolt.

  6. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by Synze View Post
    It was a throttle to some extent, but some warlocks like myself liked to keep it up on 2 targets when we could for even more multi-target DPS. The dots have been nerfed repeatedly partially due to MG, but mostly due to soul swap, especially in PvP. On a sidenote, MG would be much more fun if it "ticked" like drain soul does, rather than being constant, so we had something to track a la old shadowbolt.
    Yeah, now you can put Haunt on two targets instead.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •