Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

End of COP19 Warsaw - No plan on how to address global warming

Now that the latest summit has ended, skepticalscience.com has a blog post talking about the recent IPCC report and the ominous trends our Earth is showing.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/Carb...ctory_IPS.html

What, in your opinion, should we do to attempt to reverse this?

Should private energy entities be focusing their profits into alternative energy sources?
    Last edited by Daelak; 2013-11-27 at 01:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Now that the latest summit has ended, skepticalscience.com has a blog post talking about the recent IPCC report and the ominous trends our Earth is showing.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/Carb...ctory_IPS.html

What, in your opinion, should we do to attempt to reverse this?

Should private energy entities be focusing their profits into alternative energy sources?

Burn more coal. Global warming will cut down my winter heating bills.

Seriously, not much can be done if China, India, and other developing nations are not on board.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Burn more coal. Global warming will cut down my winter heating bills.

Seriously, not much can be done if China, India, and other developing nations are not on board.
    Yeah, because it's not like the USA is the leader of CO2 per capita by a wide margin or anything like that.

Deleted
    Global warming? It is fucking freezing here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Yeah, because it's not like the USA is the leader of CO2 per capita by a wide margin or anything like that.
    We are 12th (as of 2009), not first, and China produces about 2x total (not per capita) what the US does. Also, the US is dropping and China is going up.

Ya, because it isn’t. Not by a long shot. China is out competing us in that field as far as the eye can see. Please don’t just say whatever comes into your mind as if it’s fact.

Theres plenty that could be done about this, but it does not really matter since nothing will be done. Fusion and battery research needs to produce concrete results if you want to go the capitalistic way of solving this.(But i think even then, companies will just copy Ford and buy up all the patents/investments and just sit on them) Basically, we are fucked. Theres also the question of the need to give this technology to the developing nations and China for free/little cost if you want any sort of global impact. Not a chance in hell that EU and USA politicians would do this.
    Last edited by Arlon; 2013-11-27 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgon View Post
    Ya, because it isn’t. Not by a long shot. China is out competing us in that field as far as the eye can see. Please don’t just say whatever comes into your mind as if it’s fact.
    http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/...PC?display=map

In terms of major industrialized nations, we are.

Protip: Find China on that list

10+ Year Old Account
    http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/...PC?display=map

In terms of major industrialized nations, we are.

Protip: Find China on that list
    Again, in absolute numbers, China is 2x where we are and climbing while we are dropping.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Global warming? It is fucking freezing here.
    Same. Speed it up already, the added radiator costs to my electricity bill will kill my monthly budget.

Again, in absolute numbers, China is 2x where we are and climbing while we are dropping.
    Yeah, and absolutes tend to mean less when you have 4x the USA's population, and we smoke their asses in per capita.

The USA tends to be very wasteful in terms of energy, and very poor in mass transit and urban planning. In terms of CO2 efficiency, they are clobbering us. Of course that's what happens given the current political climate.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgholm View Post
    Same. Speed it up already, the added radiator costs to my electricity bill will kill my monthly budget.
    And then the gulfs tream goes to shit and the opposite effect happens. Then theres also El Niño effects and a bunch of other shit that could happen. Fucking with the climate is not a very good idea, especially when you don´t have the ability to reverse the effects.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, and absolutes tend to mean less when you have 4x the USA's population, and we smoke their asses in per capita.

The USA tends to be very wasteful in terms of energy, and very poor in mass transit and urban planning. In terms of CO2 efficiency, they are clobbering us. Of course that's what happens given the current political climate.
    It doesn't hurt that a large portion of the Chinese population is living in rural areas with a much constrained energy use, though that is changing fast. If my math is right, at current rates, they will exceed us per capita in about 20 years, which will mean they will be producing ~6x the CO2 we do.

It doesn't hurt that a large portion of the Chinese population is living in rural areas with a much constrained energy use, though that is changing fast. If my math is right, at current rates, they will exceed us per capita in about 20 years, which will mean they will be producing ~6x the CO2 we do.
    Yeah, but until then, anyone with a higher CO2 per capita (less efficiency) telling China to do something about theirs is extremely hypocritical.

15+ Year Old Account
    In other words, if they were able to be as wasteful as us they would.
    Great excuse man, classy not to mention they are not there yet but lets forget that.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Don't know what your hard-on for the per capita thing is.

But here are some numbers you also might find interesting:
    Vehicles per 1000 people -
    USA: 797
    China: 85

Make of that what you will.

10+ Year Old Account
    America is only barely ahead of Canada in terms of per capita, and by barely i mean just .4 ahead and Australia is well ahead of us
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Don't know what your hard-on for the per capita thing is.
    Shows a measure of "efficiency".

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    But here are some numbers you also might find interesting:
    Vehicles per 1000 people -
    USA: 797
    China: 85

Make of that what you will.
    Which could mean many things. Look at car ownership in EU vs USA, you'll see where more mass transit is present, and the prices of car ownership are inflated, it goes down.

15+ Year Old Account
    "We're not going to do anything until someone else starts cutting back."

Because that isn't a fatal form of logic or anything.

Also, in before NIPCC crowd, Riddler etc. flying in the face of scientifically backed evidence.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    America is only barely ahead of Canada in terms of per capita, and by barely i mean just .4 ahead and Australia is well ahead of us
    Link your source, mine says this isn't true.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    "We're not going to do anything until someone else starts cutting back."

Because that isn't a fatal form of logic or anything.
    Yeah, because we aren't the leaders of excess per person. Or at least, let's just spin it away.