Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Whelp I loaded up Rift again and it's some decent fun while waiting on Warlords.

Picked a Warrior with Paragon/Warlord/Riftblade souls. Story seems whatever, quests are whatever. Combat is kinda fun though. One thing I really like is that the armor isn't painted on like WoW's is. Enjoyable seeing 3d armor and progressing my character.

One disappointment though is Fishing. I was really hoping this wouldn't be yet another MMO that had boring fishing gameplay, was hoping for Ocarina of Time fishing gameplay or something similar, not just right click and loot etc.

All in all, pretty decent so far.

I love seeing threads like this asking if something is 'worth' playing...

Really, seems too many people treat games like mortgages and spend far more time analyzing every little nuance when they should just log in and check things first hand (especially if it doesn't sport immediate payment requirements)

Quote Originally Posted by WarlordsofDraenor View Post
    Whelp I loaded up Rift again and it's some decent fun while waiting on Warlords.

Picked a Warrior with Paragon/Warlord/Riftblade souls. Story seems whatever, quests are whatever. Combat is kinda fun though. One thing I really like is that the armor isn't painted on like WoW's is. Enjoyable seeing 3d armor and progressing my character.

One disappointment though is Fishing. I was really hoping this wouldn't be yet another MMO that had boring fishing gameplay, was hoping for Ocarina of Time fishing gameplay or something similar, not just right click and loot etc.

I really was hoping for more from fishing. I mean its still better than WoW's fishing but not by much. I've heard fishing in Archeage is alot more realistic, but eh, not paying 150 bucks to play the alpha.

One thing that bothered me about Rift were the animations. Combat doesn't feel as smooth as it does in WoW. Animations looked strange. I'm personally not a big fan of using the staff to cast spells. I prefer the hands do the work but hey.

Don't know if I tried melee way back when. What kind of Souls are the most aesthetically pleasing to play?
    Casters generally have smoother animations than melee, melee feels really off. In WoW, you press a button and the action/animation happen. i think a good portion of this comes from how the ability que works in Rift compared to WoW though. In Rift, you can que the action far ahead of time then wait for it to happen. In WoW, on my Warlock for example, I cast Shadowbolt, then if I press it again right away, nothing will happen. I press it again very near the end of the cast and the next cast happens nearly immediately after I press the button. If it were Rift style, I would actually press the button right after the cast to que the next one. Pressing the button then having something happen makes it feel more like you are in direct control rather than waiting for something to happen the pressing a button.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    In Rift, you can que the action far ahead of time then wait for it to happen.
    In wow it's the lag server I think. When I tried Rift, I didn't noticed the queue system, but something was wrong... then I've checked my skillbars and saw this . Found it in the options and then disabled this feature...

Some automatic things are annoying in rift.... like the premade souls..... this should, go AWAY.

Besides this.... who cares about the animation of casting... like really ? Are aesthetits faggot making their dps theorycrafting based on animations ? Do u even target frame, dude ?

The gameplay for a warlock at lv25 is more complex in rift, than affliction at lv90, not a VERSUS threat, but, I've been stuck with affliction for 3 years ( from BC ), I love the DoTs gameplay then I took a fucking Ghostcrawler in the knee, then MoP Beta..... killed Demo in the egg.... /QUIT.

In Rift, I try to switch some buffs to make a complex gameplay and have a lot of fun, just playing on the Dummies... like in the past with 5 dots on two or three targets... but NOW, I've seen that Warlock for rift 3.0 is going to be revamped TOO !!!!

I, feel, like, the, man, killed, by, the, spOOn

Rift is really a fucking good game, some minor defaults but just looking at the shop. .

Also, I tried EQ Landmark yesterday ( ). I don't know if the housing of FFXIV or Wildstar are better than rifts' dimensions but they did a good job, Imho.
    SweetFx, for is also great, for rift. ( maybe my hd5870 and PhII 955 suck too much now ^_^. )

All in all I regret now, I've lost my love for MMO, thanks to blizzard. I didn't drop WoW for guilds and social excuses during Rift's beta . Fuck me mom.

I guess now it's time to roll a fire witch for the new one month scrubcore league...

Quote Originally Posted by Paraclef View Post
    I guess now it's time to roll a fire witch for the new one month scrubcore league...
    I hear they listened to feedback and made an HC version if that's your cup of tea.

If you're worried about potential Warlock changes, go ahead and pop on the official PTS forum and let Kervik know, he's a pretty rational guy. I was under the impression that those changes had already gone through though: he's working on pyro and SC ATM.

It's also pretty normal for MMO players to take breaks every now and then. I kind of want to check out WOD, but between my lack of a job and the splitting of Feral into two different specs I'm not sure if I could stomach it. Nightmare Tide is looking pretty sweet, just nervous about Trion's ridiculous track record of rendering their own content obsolete-at-release by utterly failing to make the rewards worthwhile. Rift also really frustrates me sometimes because of how much missed potential the game has: such as the pressing lack of a real contribution system for public events, or the head-scratching flatness-of-difficulty of onslaughts and IAs.

Animations might not affect gameplay all that much, but they do contribute to one's overall enjoyment of the gaming experience. At least Rift doesn't do it like in SWTOR where (at least at launch) you had to wait for the animations to play before your skill effects went off...

10+ Year Old Account
    Last time I played Rift, Fulmination nearly oneshotted me in PvP. Still the case? Thinking of returning for the PvP, I recall it being pretty fun.

Not sure what class to play. Mage or Rogue. I have a 50 Cleric but I find them horribly boring. The new Rogue healing soul seems interesting, but I really like Chloromancer.. What do?
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account

Fishing is slightly more engaging in Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Last time I played Rift, Fulmination nearly oneshotted me in PvP. Still the case? Thinking of returning for the PvP, I recall it being pretty fun.

Not sure what class to play. Mage or Rogue. I have a 50 Cleric but I find them horribly boring. The new Rogue healing soul seems interesting, but I really like Chloromancer.. What do?
    Not when I briefly dipped my toes in again about 4ish months ago. But then again, things are still horribly imbalanced and the gear grind is still painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Not when I briefly dipped my toes in again about 4ish months ago. But then again, things are still horribly imbalanced and the gear grind is still painful.
    PvP isnt ment to be balanced.

As far as PvE goes, its fairly balanced. There are very few souls that are not viable in raids. There are souls that are better than others, but that is unavoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankendog View Post
    PvP isnt ment to be balanced.

As far as PvE goes, its fairly balanced. There are very few souls that are not viable in raids. There are souls that are better than others, but that is unavoidable.
    Indeed, I was speaking purely about PvP. I used to enjoy it years ago, but the endless gear grinds in modern MMO PvP got to me. Was excited when they were considering removing PvP gear and giving everyone flat stats, but that didn't end up happening. Oh well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Casters generally have smoother animations than melee, melee feels really off. In WoW, you press a button and the action/animation happen. i think a good portion of this comes from how the ability que works in Rift compared to WoW though. In Rift, you can que the action far ahead of time then wait for it to happen. In WoW, on my Warlock for example, I cast Shadowbolt, then if I press it again right away, nothing will happen. I press it again very near the end of the cast and the next cast happens nearly immediately after I press the button. If it were Rift style, I would actually press the button right after the cast to que the next one. Pressing the button then having something happen makes it feel more like you are in direct control rather than waiting for something to happen the pressing a button.
    If you don't like the long spell queue you can change it in settings under action bars. You have three choices - none, short and long.
    Last edited by mmoce17bb55834; 2014-07-23 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Torda View Post
    If you don't like the long spell queue you can change it in settings under action bars. You have three choices - none, short and long.
    Yes, but long is default and WoW has no such option. In WoW, by default and always it just "feels" like you have more direct control of your character. Personally, I prefer the long queue in Rift, planning my next moves in advance.

I think most MMORPGs in the 2nd era style offer ability queue adjustment in the options.

Most games are about the same really.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I think most MMORPGs in the 2nd era style offer ability queue adjustment in the options.

Most games are about the same really.
    Yes, that's my point. Most do and defaults to long. WoW does not. You can only que the next ability during the last second or so of Current Cast/GCD. This makes it feel much more responsive, by default, to most players. The que in Rift and other games is definitely my preference, but due to WoW not having it, and the animations being going right when you press the button, gives it that more responsive feel that some players complain about. As I said, I prefer the long queue myself but many players like that direct control feeling. Yes, they could get it if they change the setting in Rift/other games, but then the animations are still not quite as spot on.

Not really arguing, just pointing out what I think may be the reason some feel it is "less responsive" which is one of the complaints I hear most often.

Can anyone tell how much the game has changed since February 2013? The last thing I remember was having 3/4 FT and 2/5 EE. Some people say the game got easier, nerfed everything. Added LFR...

Thanks.

Raids did get nerfed. But only the older ones. There are a few more raids since EE/FT (which are old news at this point). And there is no LFR, assuming you mean looking for raid ala World of Warcraft.

I don't know how modern WoW works at endgame. So if LFR behaves in some way I am unaware of, sorry? I don't really know.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Raids did get nerfed. But only the older ones. There are a few more raids since EE/FT (which are old news at this point). And there is no LFR, assuming you mean looking for raid ala World of Warcraft.

I don't know how modern WoW works at endgame. So if LFR behaves in some way I am unaware of, sorry? I don't really know.
    Nah, just a lot say different things and tons of misinformation running around. Hmm... what about new raids? like tier 2 or 3 out yet?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FattGuy View Post
    what about new raids? like tier 2 or 3 out yet?
    There's no form of 'LFR' in Rift whatsoever, the raids are just one difficulty. Tier One like Frozen Tempest and to a certain degree, Endless Eclipse are pugged very regularly every night, except Regulos, he still destroys randoms

You still have the "l33ts" that wouldn't let you near their PuG unless you can link achievements blah blah (ironically when you check their own one they barely got it in the last week)

Now the Tier 2 and Tier 3 raids are Worlds aprt from the T1's, there's no way a random PuG will be clearing any or both Tier Two raids anytime soon, sure a "PuG" made up of half a clearing Guild and half of alts/mains from other clearing Guilds but Johnny Awesome and friends? not a chance.

There's two Tier Two 20-man raids, Infinity Gate and Plane Breaker Bastion. Recently released are the four Tier Three raids which collectively are known as the Bindings of Blood.

In these you go back in time to stop the Sinister Presence and other forces interferring with old events and trying to prevent the Dragons from been "bound" by the original heroes of Telara, not much into the Lore but if you remember in Original Rift we fought Greenscale, Akylios, Laethys and Maelforge in their "prisons" where they were trapped away for thousands of years but this time we have to go back and make sure they get trapped in the first place.

Each "Raid" is just one boss and a mini-boss and you can pick which Dragon to do, as of still now, only two of the mini-bosses are puggable, the Greenscale and Akylios ones, no random PuG is really able to kill Greenscale himself and certainly not Akylios (again, World clearing Guild and other alts of similar World clearing Guilds can do it in their 'PuG')

Ramping up the difficulty, i believe only 6 or so Guilds have killed Laethys and as of now, no one is even close to killing Maelforge, so Rifts raids are still not "cleared"

This the first time I've heard anything about Rift for like what, 3 years?

How is it doing?
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii