Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendsnDreamz View Post
    Jefferey Kaplan (Tigole) was Game Director. Again Tom Chilton Game Director (Tigole's successor) Your really have a difficult time understanding who has what powers. Far as Tigole goes, well he was in charge during a different time, he came back now and did what he did then, I assure you it would not make this game for the better. There are to many variables in play now, and even if you had the exact team of whatever golden age of WoW you want to prop up. There is nothing that they could do to raise subs to the glory days of 12 million.
    All I'm saying is the game could be in a better place right now.

No subscription mambo jumbo.

- - - Updated - - -

Tigole was originally an Associate Game Designer and now he's a VP. So it's hard to tell what position he was at the time. But that doesn't matter since his influence on WoW got him VP of Blizzard so win-win for him.

- - - Updated - - -

I like Ghostcrawler but I think he would be better suited on RTS games. I loved AoE II. Favorite RTS of all time.

I'm not going to make any sweeping claims about what he was/wasn't directly responsible for, or suggest that he was politely told to resign by higher ups (something I rather doubt, honestly). All I know is that he was Lead Systems Designer, and during his tenure in this position, a lot of fundamental changes were made to the game systems that I personally take issue with. Sure, they happened incrementally over a number of months/years in some cases, but ultimately they represent a complete about-turn in the direction and philosophy of the game's systems. These are changes that would seem utterly ridiculous if you suggested them pre-Wrath. I think the biggest offenders here are the removal of real talent trees, instant catch-up systems and finally raid finder (aka the crowning glory of world of queuecraft). Again, I don't claim he was entirely responsible for all of these things, but they are clearly massive system changes that happened during his tenure as Systems Lead.

I don't expect all of these things to be magically undone now that he's gone. Many of them are somewhat irreversible, at least in the short-term. Once you've given so much ground to forum whiners, there comes a point where you can't easily reclaim what has been lost. On the one hand I'll miss his active community presence and the insights it provided, on the other I'll hope that his replacement ignores forums and gets on with making the game the best it can be. I'd like to imagine the game moving gradually away from the massively streamlined parody of it's former self that it currently is. We'll have to see.
    Originally Posted by Tigole
    I'm not so sure endgame players would like the face of the game if everyone had instant access to all of the content. There is something to be said for progression and the sense of accomplishment. Don't get me wrong, we have to be careful not to create a brick wall for new people, but I think there is a balance to be struck here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    Word on the street is that he was given an "honorary way out" (i.e. asked to leave on his own keeping some of his dignity which is how we got that pretty story about getting a better job and all) instead of being fired for his failures with MoP and Cata.
    Greg being smart and all, he chose to leave on his own instead of being kicked out.
    I am glad he left.
    'Word on the street' is apparently another way to say you are talking out of your ass?

When a "source" is just another conspiracy troll-thread on MMO-C, then it's not really a source.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Try to boil everything down to a negative catch phrase all you want. We're still going to spend countless hours making Warlords of Draenor the most epic expansion possible.

Quote Originally Posted by RumlyD View Post
    I'm not going to make any sweeping claims about what he was/wasn't directly responsible for, or suggest that he was politely told to resign by higher ups (something I rather doubt, honestly). All I know is that he was Lead Systems Designer, and during his tenure in this position, a lot of fundamental changes were made to the game systems that I personally take issue with. Sure, they happened incrementally over a number of months/years in some cases, but ultimately they represent a complete about-turn in the direction and philosophy of the game's systems. These are changes that would seem utterly ridiculous if you suggested them pre-Wrath. I think the biggest offenders here are the removal of real talent trees, instant catch-up systems and finally raid finder (aka the crowning glory of world of queuecraft). Again, I don't claim he was entirely responsible for all of these things, but they are clearly massive system changes that happened during his tenure as Systems Lead.

I don't expect all of these things to be magically undone now that he's gone. Many of them are somewhat irreversible, at least in the short-term. Once you've given so much ground to forum whiners, there comes a point where you can't easily reclaim what has been lost. On the one hand I'll miss his active community presence and the insights it provided, on the other I'll hope that his replacement ignores forums and gets on with making the game the best it can be. I'd like to imagine the game moving gradually away from the massively streamlined parody of it's former self that it currently is. We'll have to see.
    By far the worst he's done was forcing everyone to raid in 10 man guilds by unifying 10 and 25 man raid lockouts.

This brought about a total collapse of the raiding communities of many servers, and as a result thousands of players were forced to quit the game b/c they could no longer find a raid spot.

Therefore, he is directly responsible for many of the lost subs, never mind the travesty of Kungufupandapokemon. It was inevitable for him to lose his job. I was just wondering why it took so long.

By far the worst he's done was forcing everyone to raid in 10 man guilds by unifying 10 and 25 man raid lockouts.

This brought about a total collapse of the raiding communities of many servers, and as a result thousands of players were forced to quit the game b/c they could no longer find a raid spot.

Therefore, he is directly responsible for many of the lost subs, never mind the travesty of Kungufupandapokemon. It was inevitable for him to lose his job. I was just wondering why it took so long.
    GC is guilty of too many crimes against the game to deserve forgiveness. He contributed huge blows to the game systems, from gear and professions to raiding and classes. During his tenure as lead systems designer WoW lost 5M subs, that's not an easy number to ignore.

Nevertheless, I wish him well so long as he is not working on WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by liam78 View Post
    During his tenure as lead systems designer WoW lost 5M subs, that's not an easy number to ignore.
    So, why is he in particular responsible for that loss, rather than, say, Chilton or Brack or no one?
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler
    I hate these casual Fridays ruining it for real Fridays.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    So, why is he in particular responsible for that loss, rather than, say, Chilton or Brack or no one?
    Chilton IS to blame for every problem in WoW. That "Fackler" idiot needs to be ejected out ASAP!

Devs saying LFR is last resort and GC leaving WoW indicates we are up for some positive changes in raiding. Less face roll and lootmatic and a return to old school progression.

I will be celebrating GC's leave and I don't care if he is fired or not as long as he is gone for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    WoW has grown stale and needs some fresh ideas. So nothing against GC, but I think this is a good thing.
    This too.

We need someone who realizes it is not fun to have 20 quests and repeat them 500x over two years. GC was a little slow, let's say, to "get" player feedback. I hope they choose someone smarter for his post.

like 40% of current wildstar devs is ex blizzard devs. Gc is so totaly joining Wildstar. Only game that have a small shot at being the so called "wow killer". But will ofc fail as anything else since the devs wont keep what they promiss.

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    like 40% of current wildstar devs is ex blizzard devs. Gc is so totaly joining Wildstar. Only game that have a small shot at being the so called "wow killer". But will ofc fail as anything else since the devs wont keep what they promiss.
    If Wildstar had any chance of becoming a WoW killer, that chance will be 0 if GC joins.

He's made it clear he won't be joining an MMO by saying any other mmo would seem anticlimactic. Since he joined WoW when it was at the peak of it's genre, you can bet he's moved to another game that's at the peak of its genre.
    blah, new sig... something something

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    He's made it clear he won't be joining an MMO by saying any other mmo would seem anticlimactic. Since he joined WoW when it was at the peak of it's genre, you can bet he's moved to another game that's at the peak of its genre.
    Hahaha

No sane MMO would take him after all he's done to Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by killidan View Post
    Hahaha

What exactly did Ghostcrawler do that was terrible? Do people actually have an understanding of what he was in charge of? He wasn't the team lead; that's Tom Chilton.

Ghostcrawler is simply the manager of the team in charge of UI and feature management. LFR, LFD, transmog were features added under him and all of them helped to slow sub losses and slow the decline of the game. The entire MMORPG genre has been in decline, not just WoW. Aside from that, he did stats and itemization, again UI work such as Dungeon Journal, raid frames, and an in game Power Auras, and made sure changes to the game were implemented and functional.

Class balance was a collaborative effort between him, Cory Stockton, encounter design (led now by Ion Hazzikostas,) and whoever from was in charge of PvP at the time (now Brian Holinka.) Class balance was a very small part of Ghostcrawler's job. It's just the one he gets flooded with the most questions about. People have some weird notion that because he's the guy doing the majority of the explanations and player discussion that he's the one with all the power. He wasn't.

If you insist on blaming someone, at least blame the right people. All changes the game has seen have to go through Tom Chilton who answered to Rob Pardo. Things like playable Pandaren that people bitch about fall on Pardo, Chilton, and Metzen. Ghostcrawler's job was simply to make sure the Pandaren were functional.

He stated on Twitter he isn't going to work on another MMO.
    Last edited by Bullettime; 2013-12-01 at 12:25 AM.
    FC: 3067-6604-6289. Steel Safari - Skarmory - Klefki - Ferrorseed

Quote Originally Posted by killidan View Post
    Hahaha
    I do wonder.. What will your reaction be if he works for another MMORPG?
    What if people who actually have an understanding about games decides he DID do a good job?

Hell, he has already been accepted at a new job.
    A job that he seems to want over lead system designer at Blizzard.
    So everyone with real knowledge about these things is insane, right?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Try to boil everything down to a negative catch phrase all you want. We're still going to spend countless hours making Warlords of Draenor the most epic expansion possible.

I don't post on these forums, but Ghostcrawler was the reason I quit World of Warcraft. I am glad he quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Metallikiddd View Post
    Chilton IS to blame for every problem in WoW. That "Fackler" idiot needs to be ejected out ASAP!
    Not at all. Can't blame blizzard go ejecting gc. He was never one of the old boys network who made wow initially.

Ghostcrawler did a great job, people saying otherwise plays a paladin.

reading peoples comments in these posts really makes your eyes bleed. Bunch of narrowminded people who's only equal is to be found in the foxnews comment section

For their sake I hope not lol