Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    It's an entirely subjective discussion but I've enjoyed every expansion about equally with the exception of Wrath which I thought was pretty bad.

The worst expansion is a toss up between MOP and cata.

The two expansions that bear the stamp of GC.

No wonder blizzard fired him.

To much time wasted on redoing the 1-60 leveling content. I know some people like it, but considering how quickly you can out-level zones it was a waste for the majority of players.

It also destroyed most raiding guilds thanks to the Cataclysmic raiding changes, which they've spent the last few years reversing. 10 man worked really well as a casual raid size in TBC and Wrath, but not as the default raid size in Cata/Mop.

Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    Dragon Soul.

Yes it was that terrible.
    really nothing more needs to be said, other then how one single raid tier can sum up how bad an expansion is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by scarson View Post
    The worst expansion is a toss up between MOP and cata.

The two expansions that bear the stamp of GC.

No wonder blizzard fired him.
    other then pvp, i enjoyed mop far more then wrath. The daily grind was a bit much at the start of mop but it wasn't that bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    I consistently played it, so I can tell you the following:
    -T11: pretty okay. took a bit long tho, but was quite okay.
    -T12: quite nice, tho the global nerf halfway felt like blizzard taking a massive dump over those that were actually trying to do the fights and still slowly progressing.
    -T13: ended up being 50%+ duration of Cata. Was shit, so 50%+ of Cata ended up being shit. Shitty instance, shitty instance entrance, shitty loot model, several shitty fights, shitty global nerfs.

So it started quite good, but took a massive nosedive.
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

What was wrong with Dragon Soul?

First tier was great. Blue's were pretty good and they didn't really hand out epics. The only reason i enjoyed Cataclysm is because it was the expansion that i leveled all my alts up to 85. I don't know why but i was a leveling machine during that expansion, but MoP i can barely level toons to cap. The leveling experience in MoP is absolutely abysmal. MoP did refine LFR and i love the timeless Isle tho. Also the farm was really fun for awhile.

The raid sucked, everyone can agree.
    What I liked most about Cata was how difficult it was at launch.
    I was in a guild with some friends and we were trying desperately to down Heroic Shadowfang Keep, but we couldn't because the healer needed more spirit first, so we did a few easier dungeons/bosses to get the loot for the healer and it felt like true genuine progression when we downed the boss.

Then they made it easier because of the loud minority and I didn't feel challanged and stopped playing.
    Now I've returned to see how WoD will do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    What was wrong with Dragon Soul?
    terrible story
    reused everything
    horribly bugged
    boring unimaginative fights: lol spine and go go buff bots aspects for madness

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    They didn't fire him.

Yes, we go from okay to better and on to best.
    Chances are Ghostcrawler was fired politely.

He screwed up big time too many times since he became lead systems designer. He could not carry the weight he was assigned.

Cata was a terrible expansion after the first raid tier and it is GC's creation.

I could see GC's failures in a more merciful light if he were not a total tool on forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by liam78 View Post
    Cats was terrible, but MOP is just as terrible, perhaps making Cata look ok to some people.
    From a numbers stand point it definitely makes it look better.

They've both been awful.

Quote Originally Posted by killidan View Post
    Chances are Ghostcrawler was fired politely.

He screwed up big time too many times since he became lead systems designer. He could not carry the weight he was assigned.

Cata was a terrible expansion after the first raid tier and it is GC's creation.

I could see GC's failures in a more merciful light if he were not a total tool on forums.

Yeah, the way I see it he had a chance with Mists, and judging by the fluctuation in the way the game played from the beginning of Cataclysm to the ends of Mists, as well as his extreme disconnect with the playerbase, he missed his chance by a wide margin.

Especially with the quarters upon quarters of sub losses.

My perspective is skewed because I didn't try out Cataclysm until just before the last patch, so there was a lot of content for me, but I still think Cataclysm gets an unfair reputation, albeit for some fair reasons.

The world revamp was great, the new zones looked good (and I can't imagine a better way around how split up they were, it was just an unfortunate result of poor planning when they made the world the first time), and I felt Dragon Soul was incredibly epic. My main problem with Dragon Soul was a problem I have with every raid: all of the bosses except usually the last and one or two others are made up for the raid, but are treated like we're supposed to care about them. Reused locations? Yeah, because it (mostly) made sense. Would you rather them have invented some arbitrary new area last minute and then expect us to care about it? Old gods emerging and a war taking place in a place we knew is what helped bring out that urgent, end of the world feel. There's no way they could have gotten that feeling across in some kind of arbitrary Deathwing lair they invented last minute. Honestly, I feel like Blizzard spends too much time trying to justify large new areas all the time. We're supposed to be exploring a world, hence the name of the game. It's awfully convenient that every new villain happens to almost primarily terrorize a completely new area.

I'm not trying to defend everything, though, don't get me wrong. I feel like the expansion is unfairly underrated, not that it was perfect. I only did Dragon Soul because of LFR, I make a point of not raiding normally, but the horror stories I was hearing from veteran raid guilds was still one of the things that helped make it easy to join the expansion so late to begin with. Blizzard really overshot with the difficulty and expected longevity of content, I think, just as they would overshoot with dailies in Mists of Pandaria.

I think the ultimate problem was, as I said in a thread about Warlords of Draenor concerns, is that Blizzard overestimated the nature of quality of life changes. Quality of life tweaks are crucial to the longterm health of your game. You need them. 1-60 needed to be revamped. The 1-60 changes were great (although it could be argued they should have been even more bold, as even Blizzard is introducing ways around leveling altogether). The problem with quality of life maintenance, however, is that it cannot come on its own. As important as it is, it cannot stand alone. The ultimate problem with Cataclysm was not that they did all these revamps, it's that they didn't give themselves enough time to do much else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well for me cataclysm was fairly good up until Dragon Soul. I really didn't like that raid instance. Sure some of the fights had interesting and fun mechanics, but I had hoped they would have done something more with it, especially the final fight. But up until that point of the expansion I thought it was rather ok.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just didn't like Dragon Soul because it was short and all of the locations were reused. Half of SoO is the same way, but the city still feels alive and breathing, it also feels like a dungeon/raid. Dragon Soul felt like one of those on the rail shooter type games.

SoO is the proper was to reuse art and locations in game, Dragon Soul is an example of how to do it the wrong way.

I thought Firelands was fantastic, but there was so much wasted potential and again, it was far too short. I figured Sulfuron keep would have been expanded, we would have went in or fought on top of a volcano (imagine entering the base of one fighting a boss in there and then fighting Alysrazor at the top of a mountain/volcano). I don't know, too many missed opportunities. Felt the same way with ICC, although ICC had the whole 'length' thing going for it.

Medium boss tiers just don't work well, at least if you play the game to raid.

And despite the flak, the revamp was probably the best thing about Cataclysm. There is something incredibly enjoyable about the 1-60 experience. You breeze through it because the pace is right and you feel like you're accomplishing a lot because of both the pace at which you're doing it and the stories that you end up doing. The locations being so varied help remove tedium as well.
    Last edited by Tojara; 2013-11-30 at 09:02 PM.

Fuck no, still the worst xpac to date.

I liked all the expansion yeah that right i mhm

10+ Year Old Account
    I think most people who hate cataclysm do so because of Dragon Soul, and they transfer their negative opinions of dragon soul upon the entire expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was bad, really bad.

S9 was the best time of WoW in my opinion. S10 was fine at first but it quickly got boring and S11 was a complete disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    I think most people who hate cataclysm do so because of Dragon Soul, and they transfer their negative opinions of dragon soul upon the entire expansion.
    There was also huge class imbalance thanks to GC. There was no continent, no capital, half asses raid content. There was the whole excuse of world remake, which was lame.

For someone who crusaded against class imbalance and nothing else for this game, he did a terrible job.