How to setup focus.

Hi.

My name is Shodan, and im a warlock.

I've played this character since day 1 of wow. (Actually beta). I've raided almost every tier (normal, not heroic), and done some pretty respectable dps, compared to my fellow raiders. However I have a terrible secret. I've always used my mouse or tab to target stuff. I know this is a bad habit, and I could do much better with a focus target, but everytime i consider it i start getting daunted by getting it set up right. The closest i have come is a few specific macros /target Zul cast havok, targetlasttarget commands that need to be changed for every fight.

Since my guild is working on garrosh, I think its time to try and get this working. targeting a boss in a mass of adds isnt too difficulty because hes so much taller then the rest, but im sure i could improve some things and i need to get use to this anyway.

Any suggestions on add-ons that make this painless with little setup or at least simple setup required?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're simply looking for a way to quickly set focus targets, you could just use a macro. I used to do the same on my SPriest to make cleaving to a second target easier (had all my major abilities cast @focus if I held alt)

The simplest macro you could make would simply be "/focus" and move the macro somewhere on your bar. Whenever you press it, it will set your focus to your cuttent target.

You could make it more advanced by making it mouseover, so that you simply move your mouse to the target and instead of clicking, hit the macro.

As an example of my warlock macros for cleave / focus utility:
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [mod:alt, harm, @focus][@mouseover, exists, harm][] Havoc
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /stopcast
    /cleartarget [@mouseover,harm,nodead]
    /use [@mouseover,harm,nodead][] Shadowburn
    /targetlasttarget [@mouseover,harm,nodead]
    I manually set my focus target, because there are very few fights I need to use that utility.

For my setup on my priest:
    Code:
    #showtooltip Mind Flay
    /cast [mod:alt, @focus, harm] Mind Flay
    /cast Mind Flay
    Code:
    #showtooltip Mind Blast
    /run sfx=GetCVar("Sound_EnableSFX");
    /console Sound_EnableSFX 0
    /run UIErrorsFrame:Clear() 
    /run SetCVar("Sound_EnableSFX",sfx);
    /cast [mod:alt, @focus, harm] Mind Blast
    /cast Mind Blast
    And to set focus i use a simple /focus macro. The Mind Blast macro may look complicated, but its simply to avoid spam when I macro it with an on-use effect. Insert a /use command after "/console Sound_EnableSFX 0". No, simplicity has never been my thing

As for addons, I'm not sure what your best bet would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan30 View Post
    Any suggestions on add-ons that make this painless with little setup or at least simple setup required?
    I have two macros that I use for most of my focus handling, although I find them more useful as affi. Destro I tend to just mouseover shadowburn, and demo I have seperate macro's to cast doom at each boss1-5 anyway.

Set focus
    Code:
    /focus
    Swap target and focus:
    Code:
    /target focus
    /targetlasttarget
    /focus
    /targetlasttarget
    (that should work, not at home to copy paste)
    Last edited by rijn dael; 2013-11-27 at 10:31 PM.

Deleted
    I had the same issue as you.

What I did was that I started using boss frames instead. And have a /target macro for adds that spawn.

My macro looks something like this:
    /target farseer wolfrider
    /Target kor'Kron war shaman

And then I'll just retarget the boss after the add has died.