Poll: Was Pizza hut's decision to fire manager correct?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    If it is in his contract then yes he should have been fired for not doing his job. Every Christmas half my family is missing because they are nurses and have to work it. If it is part of your contract then you do it.
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    Pizza hut would actuly save money if they had it closed on that day.

First reason is that no-1 in right mind would eat there when they have a turkey at home.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

As a store manager you don't get to make policy or decide what store hours are. If you don't like them you either have to put on your fake smile and deal with it or quit. You can't do whatever you want and expect to have a job. Your boss is completely in the right for getting rid of any employee that will not do the job the agreed to do.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post

First reason is that no-1 in right mind would eat there when they have a turkey at home.
    Well that depends. If get alot of families that are that lazy might just get pizza. Also I bet alot of people don't give a crap about thanksgiving.
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    I don't see the problem.

Unless they do not celebrate it.

company policy is company policy

Quote Originally Posted by Grumar View Post
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pizza-...042328900.html
    The article says it all, what do you think, was the guy being a stubborn mule or is Pizza Hut just being greedy butt lickers?

Personally I think Pizza Hut is just being ass hats about this, Pizza Hut is a fast food establishment, I don't know a single person who is going to Pizza Hut or who ever has on Thanksgiving.
    I'm not sure what the problem is here. He refused to follow directions given to him by HIS manager. That's grounds for termination in virtually any job you work. As such Pizza Hut was fully within their rights to fire him.

As to the moral question of Pizza Hut (and other business's) opening on Thanksgiving. Apparently there is some sort of demand. Places like Pizza Hut open to make money. If there was no money to be made they wouldn't open.

Sounds to me like any anger over this should be directed at the people who are willing to go out shopping and eating on Thanksgiving. Not the businesses who are (gasp) trying to make money.

come on. as if minimum wage workers should have the right to enjoy the holidays like everybody else. everybody knows the purpose of being poor is to make the lives of people more wealthy than you easier and happier.
    "Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean the person actually said it." - Thomas Jefferson

By the way, this poll is about whether it's okay for Pizza Hut to fire a guy for refusing to open the restaurant, despite what his contract says.

I can't help but feel that people are equating "No pizza hut was wrong" with "I like Thanksgiving; it would suck to work".

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    It was said on the first page, but basically whether Pizza Hut should or shouldn't be opened on Thanksgiving is separate from whether you should or should not do the job you're paid to do.
    there are a lot of things people might offer to pay you to do, that you should refuse doing. robbing poor people of their holidays so that the rich can profit is one of those things.
    "Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean the person actually said it." - Thomas Jefferson

You do what your freaking boss tells you to. It's not your place to disagree and refuse to do it. Should I tell my boss I refuse to come into work on mondays because I work harder than my co-workers?

At least this guy (who is a good guy) took it like a "man" and accepted the consequences. He deserves to be fired and a friendly good job pat on the back for refusing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    If it is in his contract then yes he should have been fired for not doing his job. Every Christmas half my family is missing because they are nurses and have to work it. If it is part of your contract then you do it.

same, we usually hold christmas meal on a different day because people have to work. you can't just refuse to work on a day becuase you don't want to go in.

I drive past the local jack in the box on thanks giving and christmas and they're always packed with lines out to the street. People do eat out often on the holidays.

I think he's in the right 100%. A place like that really has no need to be open on Thanksgiving in particular anyway. Who's getting a Pizza Hut pizza on Thanksgiving?

But obviously he got fired. Your boss tells you to do something you do it. Otherwise face the consequences.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - George Santayana
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana

Quote Originally Posted by hellosaltygoodness View Post
    come on. as if minimum wage workers should have the right to enjoy the holidays like everybody else. everybody knows the purpose of being poor is to make the lives of people more wealthy than you easier and happier.
    The job of an employee, whether you are a minimum-wage entry-level worker or a manager, is TO DO WHAT YOUR MANAGER TELLS YOU. The minute you refuse an order you forfeit your job.

That's reality in just about any job.

His termination has nothing to do with Thanksgiving. He was terminated for refusing to do what his manager told him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pizza hut are being kinda stupid

i mean who the hell goes to a fast food joint on a holiday like thanksgiving??
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

Deleted
    The company owns his ass in regards to the job, he chose to fuck them off; he got fired.

Simple.

People may not like it, but that's unimportant you do what they say - else there are a hundred other Joes waiting to fill in for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manhands View Post
    By the way, this poll is about whether it's okay for Pizza Hut to fire a guy for refusing to open the restaurant, despite what his contract says.

I can't help but feel that people are equating "No pizza hut was wrong" with "I like Thanksgiving; it would suck to work".
    That's what I'm seeing too.

I work in the restaurant business - have almost my entire life. I am presently a restaurant general manager.
    My restaurant is open on Thanksgiving (which falls in October for us Canadians), and I personally worked on it.

People will go out and eat - maybe lunch, maybe dinner (not everyone is capable of making a big Thanksgiving dinner, or can't afford to!) - and it was actually pretty busy for a Monday.

The service/hospitality industry is somewhat unique, in that our days and hours of operation are sometimes different than the average 9-5'er. We are open on New Year's Eve/Day. We are open on Christmas Eve, and we are open on other statutory holidays. The only day we're usually closed is Christmas, and even then, there are some who ARE open.

That's the nature of the job you take when you sign up for it. There are some perks - those who work in restaurants know what they are. But there are also some things you just have to live with, and part of that is working on holidays. If you can't commit to that, then you have no business being employed at one of these places.

It sucks sometimes, but I love my job and I wouldn't trade it for all the Thanksgiving dinners in the world.

lol @ all the people saying pizzahut was wrong. maybe the guy should just start his own business/restaurant, then he can close it whenever he feels like it...

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Well last I checked it's completely legal, so if you don't like it then I suggest you quit and find a different job. Basically if you agree to do a job, do it.
    no. when businesses are exploiting their workers under threat of job termination if they refuse to obey, you don't just suck it up and quit. you organize with the other workers and as a unit demand fair treatment. corporate bosses find it a bit trickier to fire their entire labour force. and they really, really, really do not like that sort of publicity.