Poll: Was Pizza hut's decision to fire manager correct?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawless Jones View Post
    Pizza hut are being kinda stupid

i mean who the hell goes to a fast food joint on a holiday like thanksgiving??
    maybe some people who have to work. and some people who don't care about stupid religious holidays?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawless Jones View Post
    Pizza hut are being kinda stupid

i mean who the hell goes to a fast food joint on a holiday like thanksgiving??
    Lots of people!

Some people just can't cook! Some people don't have time (maybe they work in an industry where they also have to work that day), and some people don't have the money. (Thanksgiving dinners are EXPENSIVE! I spent ~$200 on one last year!)

In any case, restaurants are usually busier than normal on days like Thanksgiving. Let that one soak in for a bit.

Just because you wouldn't do something doesn't mean there aren't thousands who would.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by brirrspliff View Post
    maybe some people who have to work. and some people who don't care about stupid religious holidays?
    Thanksgiving isn't a religious holiday...

When I was 16-17 I worked at McDonald (22 now), we opened on Thanksgiving - if someone didn't want to or couldn't work on Thanksgiving then they were able to post out 2 weeks ahead of time and they didn't get put on shift. There are a lot of people that don't have family or friends to celebrate and eat on Thanksgiving with - they still need to eat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellosaltygoodness View Post
    no. when businesses are exploiting their workers under threat of job termination if they refuse to obey, you don't just suck it up and quit. you organize with the other workers and as a unit demand fair treatment. corporate bosses find it a bit trickier to fire their entire labour force. and they really, really, really do not like that sort of publicity.
    "Fair treatment", you say?

I had people lining up asking to work Thanksgiving this year. Why? Because they get paid time-and-a-half (in addition to the statutory holiday pay -- so double time and a half) and the servers know the restaurant will be busy (which means more tips!)

Minimum wage here is $10.25, and most of the kitchen makes a good deal more than that. But at double time-and-a-half, even someone working for minimum wage would be making $25.66 an hour. (I had some people making ~$45 an hour on that day.)

You'll find that making $400+ for a single day's work often outweighs the allure of family drama and an overdone turkey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Supply and demand I guess. Obviously here is demand for them to be open or else they wouldn't staying open this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by brirrspliff View Post
    Thanksgiving isn't religous.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Thanksgiving isn't a religious holiday...
    Seriously?

"blessing of the harvest and of the preceding year" That is what it is for and last I checked blessing is a religious thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    Thanksgiving isn't religous.....
    Above.....
    Aye mate

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Seriously?

"blessing of the harvest and of the preceding year" That is what it is for and last I checked blessing is a religious thing.
    It's not religious, looking at the textbook definitions it's not religious.

Some people may attribute religious undertones to it, but compared to other christian holidays it has no support nor reference.

It's company policy, if he's not prepared to follow it then it's reasonable for them to get rid of him.

I could definitely see why pizza hut might be interested in being open Christmas & Thanksgiving - around my area, liquor stores and pizza places do great business on those days. Plenty of people who don't do family events. And Pizza Hut is most definitely open on those days and does decent business.

What would be unreasonable is if the company could strongarm workers into working those days, or not pay them extremely extravagant overtime rates. Double or triple time makes working holidays worthwhile rather than a chore (at least for many). Given that it's a US store, I'd guess that those aren't the cases tho & I'd regard that as unfair.

TL;DR: Reasonable to fire him, but he likely has a point about employment conditions & I hope there's backlash over that aspect

Dosn't look to me as if the manager owns Pizza Hut, ergo why would he get to make policy regarding what times/days the store would be open.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seriously?

That's not what is celebrated, and you're really stretching trying to include one word -- 'blessing' -- as grounds for naming it a religious holiday. Thanksgiving is a secular holiday.

To which religion does Thanksgiving belong? Why is it only practiced in the United States and Canada -- on different months, I might add?

Answer these questions and you will see that it is not a religious holiday at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    It's not religious, looking at the textbook definitions it's not religious.

Some people may attribute religious undertones to it, but compared to other christian holidays it has no support nor reference.
    It is bloody religious. You don't randomly bless things unless you are religious. It has changed in much the same way as x-mas but at its core it is still a VERY religious thing.
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    A guy who refused to do his job without anything resembling a good reason was fired for his stupidity. Why should anyone care?
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by lakhesis View Post

I could definitely see why pizza hut might be interested in being open Christmas & Thanksgiving - around my area, liquor stores and pizza places do great business on those days. Plenty of people who don't do family events.
    Shoot I like to buy a Pizza after my Christmas dinner with the family, which we do during the day. Go home buy a pie and watch a movie. Kind of a tradition at this point.

PRO TIP- if you do not like retail hours do not work in retail.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is bloody religious. You don't randomly bless things unless you are religious. It has changed in much the same way as x-mas but at its core it is still a VERY religious thing.
    I've had 32 Thanksgivings, and not once has anyone 'blessed' anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    A guy who refused to do his job without anything resembling a good reason was fired for his stupidity. Why should anyone care?
    You and I don't usually see eye to eye on things, but in this case we are in complete agreement.

If his contract doesn't give him Thanksgiving off, then he should be open. Whether or not Pizza Hut SHOULD be open on Thanksgiving is irrelevent, if his contract doesn't exclude it, then tough. That's called real world.

Deleted
    It can be celebrated religiously, or as a secular holiday - Once again, the bible has no reference nor frame of address to it; it is not a religious holiday/ season.

However, to sate your appetite of religion hunting i challenge you thusly.

Go to the bible, and find me a passage that references to it.

It's roots are secular in nature, it just so happens certain religious folks adopt it also.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    I've had 32 Thanksgivings, and not once has anyone 'blessed' anything.
    The act of having Thanksgiving is blessing the crops... That is its point.
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    It can be celebrated religiously, or as a secular holiday - Once again, the bible has no reference nor frame of address to it; it is not a religious holiday/ season.

However, to sate your appetite of religion hunting i challenge you thusly.

Go to the bible, and find me a passage that references to it.

It's roots are secular in nature, it just so happens certain religious folks adopt it also.
    I'll add on to this, that it need not appear in the Bible -- but any modern religious text.
    It still doesn't exist.

- - - Updated - - -

The act of having Thanksgiving is blessing the crops... That is its point.
    No it isn't. Your fundamental understanding of the holiday is incorrect.

Thanksgiving falls well AFTER the harvest. You don't bless crops that you've already had sitting in your storage area for two months. That's literally the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not a fan of Thanksgiving at all these days and never will be. If I had to work just that day for the whole week I'd take it for lulz. Now if the inlaws I had were really good if I was married and they all loved me and all that. I'd feel disappointed that I'd have to work. Ahh well...guy probably should of endured even if it was Thanksgiving.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi