Poll: How do you feel about people playing under the influence of drugs?

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I voted I approve, it makes it more enjoyable.

Reasons are as follows, first off, I don't smoke weed when I'm on my own, so it's very rare these days that I do, However....4-5 of my friends from London, come home from work, roll a spliff, and log onto WoW and raid etc and we'd just chill out on vent, and I can tell you that none of them are the type of the people to give abuse in LFR or abuse in general, or trade spam or anything else.

So for me, and all my experiences connected, It's fine.

I take legal painkillers for migraines that are more powerful than stuff like weed and play WoW lol, now if you're going to sit and play WoW on an acid trip....

An arsehole is an arsehole.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    It's amazing how, after I gkick a stoner and they're giving me their vitriolic, self-serving spiel on how much of an asshole I'm being (read: butthurt rant), they always mention how drugs calm and relax them. I always find that part a bit lolsy.
    I only recently told the people I play video games with that I had been high every single time we raided for 8 years. I led our healing core, raids, and the guild for half a decade and no one knew I smoked, simply because of some ridiculous nerd stigma. It has no negative effects on my ability to play any game at all(including rhythm games, disproving the idea that it slows everyone's reflexes), and makes me much more tolerant to people around me failing. I even play with other drug users, and I never really allowed myself to identify myself with them, all because of preconceived notions that people who smoke marijuana are lazy, unmotivated, slow, and annoying. However, if a person isn't playing up to their capabilities, it shouldn't matter what the reason is. Let them know what your expectations are of them, and if they don't meet them, they probably have a less motivated personality rather than a drug issue.

Not to break into a diatribe, but I work a full time job, I don't ignore any aspects of my real life, I generally have a significant other(for better or worse), and I have the social life I want to have. I do all of this while smoking every day. It's not some demon that brings everyone down, in fact for some of us all it does is enhance what's already positive about our lives. If it isn't having a negative impact on you or those around you, it should be no one's business but your own.

TLDR: There are plenty of high functioning cannabis users in the world, so it might be wise to think twice before you demonize something that has no negative consequences on your own life. That being said, if you can't perform the way people expect you to perform while under the influence of a substance, you either need to stop while playing or find a group of people who don't mind you performing at a lower standard.

Quote Originally Posted by AuroRyz View Post
    I only recently told the people I play video games with that I had been high every single time we raided for 8 years. I led our healing core, raids, and the guild for half a decade and no one knew I smoked, simply because of some ridiculous nerd stigma. It has no negative effects on my ability to play any game at all(including rhythm games, disproving the idea that it slows everyone's reflexes), and makes me much more tolerant to people around me failing. I even play with other drug users, and I never really allowed myself to identify myself with them, all because of preconceived notions that people who smoke marijuana are lazy, unmotivated, slow, and annoying. However, if a person isn't playing up to their capabilities, it shouldn't matter what the reason is. Let them know what your expectations are of them, and if they don't meet them, they probably have a less motivated personality rather than a drug issue.

Not to break into a diatribe, but I work a full time job, I don't ignore any aspects of my real life, I generally have a significant other(for better or worse), and I have the social life I want to have. I do all of this while smoking every day. It's not some demon that brings everyone down, in fact for some of us all it does is enhance what's already positive about our lives. If it isn't having a negative impact on you or those around you, it should be no one's business but your own.

TLDR: There are plenty of high functioning cannabis users in the world, so it might be wise to think twice before you demonize something that has no negative consequences on your own life. That being said, if you can't perform the way people expect you to perform while under the influence of a substance, you either need to stop while playing or find a group of people who don't mind you performing at a lower standard.
    Fully agreed.
    People do need to realize that it has different effects on different people though. Learning how it affects you and how to cope with these effects is an important part of being able to function under the influence in my experience. Then again, it's the same with many pharmaceutical drugs as well.

like they have any say in the matter.

If by "drugs" you mean weed, then who cares? But if someone's playing WoW on meth, then I'd be concerned for them and their community.

EDIT- I don't think the words "drug" or "drugs" should be used at all in reference to weed. It's like calling beer and cigarettes drugs. It may be technically correct but attaches negative connotations that weed doesn't deserve. Weed should just be weed, or marijuana; not "drugs". (Non-smoker for legalization here.)
    Last edited by hablix; 2013-11-28 at 02:39 PM.

Deleted
    I feel that it is up to the person, if they enjoy it who am I to judge them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    I really don't care what players use tbh. They might as well do krokodil, it's none of my business
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

Considering the kind of attitude people sometimes throw around in LFD runs, I'd rather take a weed head than some "hardcore" person, who thinks everyone is crap, except themselves. I don't do drugs myself, but often play a bit after coming home from a bar run.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Grossman View Post
    "brb smoking a bowl"
    Meanwhile the rest of the raid is sitting and waiting for 8 minutes.

I don't mind people that smoke weed. I am annoyed by people that are overly PROUD of smoking weed and feel the need to vocalize it, as if it some accomplishment that required years of hard work to achieve.
    I have to agree with this...
    I did smoke dope for over 2 decades. Stopped it over a decade ago. My stance about the drug has never changed since then. I stopped because I wanted to stop. It's like stopping to drink something which just doesn't taste that good anymore. Dope didn't give me anything anymore for myself.
    Never ever have I felt the need to promote my smoking. Never have I ever experienced it IRL either. Maybe it's because I am of the generation that immediately followed the very generation that kicked it all off in the mid to late 60s... Idk.. But smoking dope was never something to be proud of at all. It was nothing more than a personal enjoyment.
    Promoting it is an utterly stupid and immature stance.
    Dope can be very beneficial, if used within parameters of common sense and with intelligence. Then it can widen ones thoughts process greatly. But misuse is entirely possible, and with that it's also possible to become rather stupid. I've seen the whole scale of impact on ones personality with other people.

Anyhow.... Being a former smoker for so long, I fail to see how playing WoW is an appropriate activity while being stoned...
    It's contradicting. It's nothing I could even remotely imagine.
    When I got stoned I was going to chill out, preferably planting my ass on a couch or something.. I engaged in conversations, I watched movies, hell I had sex too, but putting myself in any kind of stress, which the game would cause me, no way..
    Gimme some great music, then let me listen to the lyrics, and find the meaning behind those lyrics, because the writer of them was a stoner as well... let me listen to the harmonies of the tune, and all the details... Maybe a snack to go along with it. And I am happy. But don't bother me with anything hectic.
    I also couldn't smoke while I was working. That totally ruined any motivation for doing my job. lol
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2013-11-28 at 03:16 PM.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Rampant Rabbit View Post
    Actually, you're not normal again after the effects of XTC/MDMA are over. It takes a few days to recharge to your usual level of dopamine in your brains.

Also, the whole 'one love' is just a myth. I've done acid plenty of times, with people who have done it countless of times, and I think it's safe to say that they're still the same hard working, and down to earth people as they were before they started doing it. I've seen the 'one love' people though. I wouldn't say it's solely thanks to the acid that they became this way. For some people it's the gateway they've always been looking for.
    I'm gonna be the fact police here and correct you.

When you take MDMA you release a massive amount of serotonin into your brain, not dopamine. This affect is also induced by taking psilocybin mushrooms, along with other effects on the body.

I don't care whether other people play under influence.

If we're doing a dungeon or raid and if they don't play we'll then I don't wanna play with them, but drugs are irrelevant. Most people play terribly even though they are sober.

Quote Originally Posted by Sul View Post
    drug users should be shot on sight
    drug dealers staked out over an ants nest and left to die
    drug bosses constantly injected and then made go cold turkey , over and over and over again

90% of the worlds problems would then be solved
    you sir, are an idiot. get back to your friendless life of perpetual sweatpants and ferrets.

I wonder how many people who vote they disapprove entirely consume alcohol, which is a drug.

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    Sorry to say, but anyone who uses drugs for any other than doctor-approved medical reasons is a worthless idiot and a selfish pile of shit.
    And you're an ignorant pile of shit. Inb4 I get infraction for calling him a pile of shit but he doesn't for calling everyone in the thread who smokes weed or drinks a pile of shit.
    Last edited by Zaerick; 2013-11-28 at 04:30 PM.

Smoking weed and playing games in general is awesome. Never brag about it or tell people i do it unless they hear my bong on skype or something hah.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Disapprove, It makes me feel dirty even imaging playing with someone on drugs >.<

Not to mention you interact with children in game as well >.< "Mom can i go to the park and play with the drug addict under the slide? ""Of course, just don't forget your sweater!"
    First off your child argument is invalid. It is a teen rated game that has online interaction that is not rated by the ESRB because they can't rate it. It a lot like the Nonrated movies because they were too bad to be R rated movies but didn't have enough sex or gore to be X rated. The fact I see people complain what about the children makes me laugh so hard. Fuck the children this game is better off without incompetent players. Second off trade chat is a lot more volatile and harmful then that of a simple stoner. We are not child rapists we are not bad people we just enjoy to toke and play. Not one of you has the right to dictate what I do in my house that I bought with my money on the PC I bought with my money on the game I bough with my money. It is mine to do with what I please and not yours so please call me a scumbag call me a life failure. The fact of the matter is it Willbe legal in 10 years time. So enjoy criticizing what I do for fun because once its legal you bet your ass im going to look you in your face and say I told you so.
    Last edited by Zaerick; 2013-11-28 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelppons View Post
    I'm gonna be the fact police here and correct you.

When you take MDMA you release a massive amount of serotonin into your brain, not dopamine. This affect is also induced by taking psilocybin mushrooms, along with other effects on the body.
    Afaik it creates both dopamine, and serotonin. If I'm wrong on this, then I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by AuroRyz View Post
    no one knew I smoked, simply because of some ridiculous nerd stigma.
    Stop and think about this for a second. If I don't know you smoke, why would I kick you? You think I'm some self-appointed moral guardian who's harshing your buzz for no reaso?. That's bullshit. I kick stoners because of their actions, and because of their personality. So again, if I can't tell Why would I even fucking care? I'm sure in the list of members there are at least a few stoners, and they've never been kicked simply because they have the common decency to shut the fuck up about it.

In short, I'm not going to kick you (smokers) because you're a stoner. I'm going to kick you because you're an obnoxious, egocentric twat and I'm tired of getting PMed about your bullshit. If none of the above applies to you, you can safely put away your butthurt.

I mix a cocktail whenever my guild raided this past year, get good and tipsy. now drugs wise, I notice on weed my reaction time tends to be slower, while drunk I don't have that same problem. everyone handles their shit differently, if they handle it well then I'm all for it.

I dislike it. If they are playing alone and not in a group its fine. I hate when people aren't paying attention or playing well and when asked why say 'IM DRUNK!" OR 'IM SMOKING MY BONG BRO!"

So disrespectful.