Revisiting the game with a friend, server question.

Me and a friend recently quit WoW and decided to give GW2 another try.
    We currently both have max lvl characters on different servers atm.

Our plan was to make new characters from scratch and see from there, but then someone told me if our main characters are on different servers I would be unable to start a character on the same server as my friend.

I don't know that much about GW2 anymore, i did look trough the thread with the wall of information but I couldn't find anything there.
    Is this rumor correct and if so what is there that I can do?

Thanks in advance!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silay View Post
    Me and a friend recently quit WoW and decided to give GW2 another try.
    We currently both have max lvl characters on different servers atm.

Our plan was to make new characters from scratch and see from there, but then someone told me if our main characters are on different servers I would be unable to start a character on the same server as my friend.

I don't know that much about GW2 anymore, i did look trough the thread with the wall of information but I couldn't find anything there.
    Is this rumor correct and if so what is there that I can do?

Thanks in advance!
    Yes, this is true. The only way you can play with your friend is either by moving onto his server or by guesting. When you first started the game, you made one server your home, which means that you tied all your characters to that server. Guesting will allow you to play on other servers, but you won't be able to participate in WvWvW.

Thanks for the fast response.

So I suppose moving to another server costs a fee as on WoW?
    And guesting doesn't sound very appealing to me cause we plan to PvP & WvWvW at max level so that's not really an option for us.

15+ Year Old Account

And guesting doesn't sound very appealing to me cause we plan to PvP & WvWvW at max level so that's not really an option for us.
    Yes, server transfer costs gems to do. I think its 1200 gems, but I'm not quite sure. You can check in-game, it'll tell you the price when you click the transfer button.
    Last edited by Kaelwryn; 2013-11-29 at 08:51 PM.

It depends on the population of each server. Some servers cost more than others.

Or simply delete all your toons =D
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

10+ Year Old Account

There is a gem cost to transfer servers which is tied to the server population:

Medium: 500 Gem
    High: 1000 Gem
    Very High: 1800 Gem

Gems cost $10 per 800 or the current ingame gold to gem conversion is 7.85g per 100 gems.
    Note that the gem cost transfers ALL of your characters, you are basically transfering your account to the new server.
    Valar morghulis

If your not certain you will continue playing for long and your not doing WvWvW while leveling, might I suggest you just use the guesting service while you level and then if you decide you enjoy the game enough to pay a fee to server transfer then do that?

Guesting is free to do and you can guest on up to 2 different servers per 24 hours, heck it doesn't even need to be on your friends server, if you wanted to guest onto some random server you could, the only two restrictions to guesting is a max of 2 servers per 24 hours and not being able to WvWvW while guesting.

Now ofcourse you could level via WvWvW as well, in which case yes you and your friend would have to have the same home server to play together, but if your thinking of waiting till you level cap your PvE version of your toon to WvWvW to have access to more skills and slightly better gear then there is no harm in guesting while not WvWvWing.

Just a suggestion seeing as it would kinda suck to spend money on a server transfer, not be able to WvWvW till the 2 week battle is up and a month down the line decide you want to play another MMO, but that depends on if you want to WvWvW to level or if you want to wait to WvWvW till after leveling via PvE.