Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Do people really enjoy having epics thrown at them?

I used to love the feeling of getting an epic and it actually meaning something. Why are they even called epics now? They're hardly epic to obtain, they don't feel epic, and the majority don't even look epic. What happened to blues being the most common form of gear? What was wrong with that?

For the argument that casuals wanted more epics because it felt like they were missing out - isn't that the point?

To many of us, gear is only a requirement to have fun. So yes, I would love for the best gear to be mailed to me, so I can have unrestrained fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    To many of us, gear is only a requirement to have fun. So yes, I would love for the best gear to be mailed to me, so I can have unrestrained fun.
    Quote for truth. Stats are meaningless gatekeepers and in no way a display of skill.

15+ Year Old Account
    Frankly, I consider myself casual and I dislike how gear is given out. I felt accomplished at the tail end of WotLK and even a lot of BC. I liked doing dungeons for a chance at some decent gear and getting currency slowly AT MY OWN RATE WITHOUT LIMITS to get expensive gear from vendors. I felt that was best, especially since dungeons offered a sufficient challenge. I don't give a shit about LFR or raiding in general and I feel scenarios should never give better loot than 5 man heroics. Not really fond of challenge mode dungeons as I don't like time limits or cheesing mechanics. I just want lengthy, challenging and rewarding 5 man heroics.

Deleted
    Well in that case, it doesnt matter for you if the color of the item is blue or purple. Stats will remain the same. Please read the OP before replying

"Real" epics are "Heroic Warforged" pieces of gear now.

Those pieces are definitely more "epic" than some LFR purple. Also, I could care less. I'm not playing this game for gear I'm playing it because I enjoy raiding and would continue to play even if they just made all items grey. Colors mean absolutely nothing to me.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - George Santayana
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana

I think the problem is that people aren't looking for free epics, so much as the new gear models. Blizzard only releases new armor skins with mostly just raid content, which makes them epic. So I only really want easy epics, if my end goal is to get the armor skin or to gear up to get to the point that I can obtain the new armor skins. If I happen to hop onto Guild Wars 2, I have horrible gear, but I enjoy it because I know I can generally obtain a new armor skin through either the in game store which is relatively cheap, or through professions or the auction house. I don't care about my stats. I just want to look cool.

I'd really love to see the effect of having relatively simple and diverse cosmetic gear added into the game without the EPIC stats or even any stats. I think there would be less of a frenzy for epic gear. I think they realize this though and intentionally keep it this way to have less work to do designing new armor skins and forcing the grind of endgame content. Otherwise they wouldn't have added a special cosmetic only transmog class specific set that you have to get from challenge modes.

Just give me a plethora of cool looking gear and I don't really care about how much damage I'm doing, hp, I have, or whether or not it's epic. I'll never be the best of the best, so at least let me feel like I'm amazing. But instead they limit this by saying that it takes up development time and budget or that players don't want it.

I don't think many people tried challenge modes because of the difficulty, but I would be willing to bet a lot of people have always wanted the challenge mode sets and wish they weren't gated behind such a demanding feature.

I mean would anyone else agree? I want to feel my player power increase, but it's not as important to me and the grind isn't as enjoyable if I don't get to enjoy staring at my toon while doing it. It makes everything feel more fresh when you can pop on some new gear and feel like a new character.

Oh wow.. lol..

Are you the type of person who plays Skyrim and uses the console to get full dragon bone gear at level one, so you can have "unrestrained fun"?

Quote Originally Posted by Miuna View Post
    Well in that case, it doesnt matter for you if the color of the item is blue or purple. Stats will remain the same. Please read the OP before replying
    I read it, and stand by my statement. The issue at hand is clearly that more people are getting good gear, not what color it is.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miuna View Post
    That's not what the OP said at all. In reality epics have always had higher stats. If blizz changed this to where Blues and epics had same stats sure, i'll take blues and work for purples but that's just plain not the case in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by sith View Post
    Oh wow.. lol..

Are you the type of person who plays Skyrim and uses the console to get full dragon bone gear at level one, so you can have "unrestrained fun"?
    I've never played Skyrim, so I don't know what you're talking about. But I'm the type that just turns on a game and plays. I don't give a crap about rewards or anything, I just want to do what I'm in the mood for at that moment without being hindered by useless grinds.

There's a big difference between Welfare epics and heroic epics..When you get that LFR crap you know it's far from the best out there and you don't get nearly as excited as getting a heroic piece. The epic is more on how you feel and how good you know it is.

I'm with itisamuh, i am the kind of person who uses cheatcodes to get unlimited ammo / health so i can enjoy a game.
    Because that is what i'm playing, a game. If i want to work hard for something i'll actually...WORK.
    Games are for mindless entertainment, not hard work :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cdnz19 View Post
    I used to love the feeling of getting an epic and it actually meaning something. Why are they even called epics now? They're hardly epic to obtain, they don't feel epic, and the majority don't even look epic. What happened to blues being the most common form of gear? What was wrong with that?

For the argument that casuals wanted more epics because it felt like they were missing out - isn't that the point?
    Item tags between vendor trash, common, uncommon, rare, epic, and legendary dictate the stat budget. A 430 blue and a 430 epic are going to have different stats because the 430 epic has a bigger budget allotted to it. Just pulling numbers out of my ass because it's 2 AM and I can't be arsed to look up the exact ilvls for Siege of Orgrimmar, a 520 epic from LFR and a 540 epic from Flex are also going to have a notable item gap despite ostensibly coming from the same raid, because they're incentivising you to tackle harder content with better gear.

Epics started being given outside raids and arena because they were the next step up from dungeon blues/PvP blues, and players who didn't raid or belong to a regular Arena team were starting to get bored of a hard wall on their characters' progression without immersing themselves in a raid guild or rated Arena play. Aside from that, even in TBC every single Heroic 5-man boss dropped at least one epic item, even if it was just a gem for your sockets. A patient DPS could gear out in epics without setting foot inside Karazhan just by grinding 5-mans with friends or friendly LFG pugs, or by farming honor for a set of Season 1/Season 2. That doesn't even take into account epic items obtainable from Badge of Justice vendors in Shattrath and the Isle of Quel'Danas (which themselves were t6-quality items).
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

I think more than anything people want to make progress. They want their characters to get stronger. What you see is when guilds hit a brick wall and they can no longer make progress things start to fall apart. The same thing happens with casual players when they are no longer able to make progress. We are taught by the game that iLevel is progress, and that Purple>Blue. Because of this culture it feels weird going from a purple to a blue and ends feeling like a reluctant upgrade. The color really has no meaning in and of itself it is simply learned behavior. I think to counteract that Blizzard just decided all upgrades after the first tier of an expack will be purple. It was Blizzards decision not the players. The players simply want to be able to make a reasonable amount of progress in a reasonable amount of time.

Let's just pretend everything but Heroic Warforge Gear is blue, does anything change? No nothing at all.
    Hi Sephurik

Yes... yes they absolutely do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cdnz19 View Post
    I used to love the feeling of getting an epic and it actually meaning something.
    Time traveller from Vanilla, is that you?

I think most people who have played for the last 7 years since TBC launched have gotten used to "epics" essentially meaning "gear gained at max level".
    For the vast majority of WoW's existence, this is how it's been. And for the vast majority of WoW players, even many who'd be considered veterans, this is how it's always been.

It's only your problem if you call them "epics". I call them "gear that doesn't make me suck because I don't have a whole life to spend in a game and also happen to be purple". There is purple gear much better than the one that's "thrown at me" and I don't complain that gear isn't "thrown at me" either

But I'm the type that just turns on a game and plays. I don't give a crap about rewards or anything, I just want to do what I'm in the mood for at that moment without being hindered by useless grinds.
    You're in the wrong genre. Just saying.