Poll: Wich one would you buy and why?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Laptop Upgrade] Buying a new MacBook. Need Help Choosing Model! (Details inside)

Yeah, it has to be a Macbook. I am way far into Apple's Ecosystem for anything other than this.

I have to pick between two models:

• 13" Standard Macbook Pro Non-Retina
    Specifications
    2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 (Ivy Bridge)
    Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    4GB 1600MHz memory
    500GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Built-in battery (7 hours)2
    DVD drive

(Later upgradable to 16gb ram + SSD, $1,349.00)

• 13" Macbook Pro with Retina display
    Specifications
    2.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 (Haswell)
    Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz
    8GB 1600MHz memory
    128GB PCIe-based flash storage1
    Intel Iris Graphics
    Built-in battery (9 hours)2

(Not Upgradable, $1,399.00)

Obs: The money diference here is quite small, however, here in Brazil, the diference would be quite big:
    - Standard Macbook Pro for R$ 5.008,00
    - MacBook Pro with Retina Display for R$ 5.955,00

Also, I would like to know something:

- Other than power usage, is there any significant diference between the two specs, performance wise?
    - What about the same models above compared, now with the standard Macbook upgraded with a good SSD?

I am a professional photographer, but the retina screen is not a big of a deal for me since i will barely edit on it, only on emergency.
    Mostly for some WoW, to show photos to clients and traveling.

Sorry for the english mistakes,
    Your help will really help my black friday purchase :P
    Last edited by Alvorea; 2013-11-28 at 03:25 PM.

But.. I am a rogue.

Deleted
    Don't buy a macbook if you don't want to be ripped off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are you buying a Mac to play WoW on, show pictures on and for "traveling"? Seems really weird to buy a pricey laptop when you can buy a cheaper and more portable one..
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by FLstudioApprentice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Why are you buying a Mac to play WoW on, show pictures on and for "traveling"? Seems really weird to buy a pricey laptop when you can buy a cheaper and more portable one..
    while accurate saying shit like this clearly helps no one when they clearly state they are only considering Apple products.

As far as performance is concerned assuming you run the second laptop at 1280x800 (the native resolution of the first laptop) you will see a decent increase to performance over the first one. That said the native resolution on the second laptop is significantly higher than that at 2560x1600 and should perform fairly similarly to the first one running at this resolution.

All around if those are the only two choices I would go with the retina display model.

I could go super in depth on why this is the case but suffice to say the new Intel integrated graphics (5000 series or Iris) are a lot better than the previous generation (4000 series), the lower clock speed on the Haswell chipset will reduce power and that particular chip should outperform the first one for your uses pretty much universally.
    Last edited by Zulandia; 2013-11-28 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FLstudioApprentice View Post
    As I said, lets pretend we have only those to options in the world. I really wont go for something else. Even the budget stuff here in Brazil is quite expansive, and if you dont spend ur money with something really good, durable, you not making a good deal at all. Also as I said, I am too much into Apple's ecosystem and I don't want to step out.

But.. I am a rogue.

All i know is the haswell is the newer gen than ivy bridge but i don't think there is much of a difference in performance. If you are really forced into Mac then id chose the first one and upgrade it.

Edit. I didn't know they had different resolutions until i read other posts. If you are showing pictures to clients then the higher resolution will give a better look of the picture quality.

Edit. well then if you are not going to use the retina then the first is still the best upgraded
    Last edited by flareside; 2013-11-28 at 03:40 PM.
    "one never escapes from the compulsion and chance to be powerful" Peter Sloterdijk
    i5-4690k --- ASUS Z97-A --- 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1600 --- EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3

Quote Originally Posted by Zulandia View Post
    while accurate saying shit like this clearly helps no one when they clearly state they are only considering Apple products.

As far as performance is concerned assuming you run the second laptop at 1280x800 (the native resolution of the first laptop) you will see a decent increase to performance over the first one. That said the native resolution on the second laptop is significantly higher than that at 2560x1600 and should perform fairly similarly to the first one running at this resolution.

All around if those are the only two choices I would go with the retina display model.
    Really helpful, but I don't think I will be using the retina screen as its potential since I have an iMac I use for serious edit. I would be completly sure about Retina one IF It was going to be my only PC. The question is, The retina one is a very nice machine however, I think the pro tuned up will be a better one. But since I dont understand much about it I am not sure yet.

But.. I am a rogue.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly can't tell you to buy one of those and don't feel like I'm scamming you.

There's no way in common sense that I'd buy one of those computers when I can have a windows laptop with better performance for a far lower price. But if you want one of those two even knowing this, well it's your money, so go for the first one and upgrade to 8GB by your own, unless you are not using it for design purposes, then you won't need the higher proc and you can just go for a longer battery life.

Still, both have really low components for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvorea View Post
    The question is, The retina one is a very nice machine however, I think the pro tuned up will be a better one. But since I dont understand much about it I am not sure yet.
    Resolution completely aside the retina machine has a significantly stronger chipset which runs at a lower clock speed, has a stronger integrated graphics adapter, and is otherwise comparable assuming the harddrive and dvd tray are not important to you. If you are buying completely for the technical specs of the two machines it is the better option (especially if you downscale the resolution as you 'don't need' the retina display).

To put an an actual value on performance difference I would say the chip in the second machine is roughly 15% more powerful than the one in the first one (and a quick check of benchmarks agrees with me), and the newer gen intel graphics will eek out about 50% additional performance over the old one.

Straight up everyone else in the thread telling you otherwise does not know anything about computers and is simply getting sucked into the higher clock speed of the CPU in the first laptop being higher and thinking that the higher number is better [not to come off as a dick or anything I just don't want you getting screwed over by this stuff].
    Last edited by Zulandia; 2013-11-28 at 03:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    I honestly can't tell you to buy one of those and don't feel like I'm scamming you.

There's no way in common sense that I'd buy one of those computers when I can have a windows laptop with better performance for a far lower price. But if you want one of those two even knowing this, well it's your money, so go for the first one and upgrade to 8GB by your own, unless you are not using it for design purposes, then you won't need the higher proc and you can just go for a longer battery life.

Still, both have really low components for the price.
    Exactly this ^^

I cant tell you either to choose between those 2. In Brazil you cant buy oevr Internet? I mean, you can find easily something better AND cheaper over the web.
    Not sure if I'm a good guy but I'm working hard on it...

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post

Yeah I know. Once you use an Apple Product and if you like to spend ur money on something well crafted and durable, you will understand me. I rather pay double for something good, then half for a budget one that will disappoint me in many aspects. The nearest I went was Dell with their Ultrabook line but I saw one another day and kinda hated the screen and the plastic body.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by riptal View Post
    Exactly this ^^

I cant tell you either to choose between those 2. In Brazil you cant buy oevr Internet? I mean, you can find easily something better AND cheaper over the web.
    Give me two ones with better quality and better price?

But.. I am a rogue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I know. Once you use an Apple Product and if you like to spend ur money on something well crafted and durable, you will understand me. I rather pay double for something good, then half for a budget one that will disappoint me in many aspects. The nearest I went was Dell with their Ultrabook line but I saw one another day and kinda hated the screen and the plastic body.

- - - Updated - - -

Give me two ones with better quality and better price?
    There's tons of choices... If you dont want a custom laptop, you have MSI, Alienware, Origin, Battalion... You have to choose your specs and the price come with it. That's it! But to tell you the truth you look at Apple like they're god, so I think I'm loosing my time a bit here.
    Not sure if I'm a good guy but I'm working hard on it...

No really, I am beeing realistic. I have had experience with another brands and every single one disappointed some way but apple products. Not gods but I like when some1 know how to do something well made from the very beggining to the last transistor.

But.. I am a rogue.

No really, I am beeing realistic. I have had experience with another brands and every single one disappointed some way but apple products. Not gods but I like when some1 know how to do something well made from the very beggining to the last transistor.
    You're experience according to your posts was a Dell. I'm sorry but that is the worst brand you could possibly buy. No laptop....NO laptop is going to last that long. 3-4 years at best for the stuff that is out now. Some might get lucky but their failure rate is extremely high compared to desktops and Dell has the worst failure rate. If you want the best bang for your buck I would go with either an Asus or a Toshiba. Both are much more reasonably priced and have the lowest failure rates and have quite a few customization options.

I really have to agree with everyone else here. I'm not saying Apple products aren't decent but you are paying 10x as much for something that will be obsolete in 6 months at best.

Quote Originally Posted by riptal View Post
    Alienware
    No, just no. You're against Apple but then you recommend the now piece of junk Alienware brand? They were just as bad as Apple with being overpriced for what you get but now that's even worse since they are owned by Dell.

OP: If you REALLY have to have an Apple (and there is 0 reason why you have to have mac products) then get the one that you can actually upgrade some components in. Any laptop that you can't at least add memory is NOT worth buying....EVER. If you want a far better priced, better featured machine then get an Asus or Toshiba.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Deleted
    I have a macbook pro and I honestly love it, and I am a gamer. Neither of them will be too good for gaming but the non-retina will perform better for wow. I have the retina 15" mbp and wow runs well but it also has a dedicated gpu. I say get the non-retina for you because the retina resolutions screws up wow and its performance suffers greatly.

Yes I paid a premium for my mbp but I love it and I would never get any laptop other than an Apple in the future. I've had a gateway and a HP and now my macbook and I absolutely don't regret paying double for it.

I love reading replies in threads like this, some good laughs.

OP, my opinion: non-retina display. The upgrade availability outweighs the display (which, is great, but not super spectacular). But go for which ever you prefer. My wife and I are in the Apple "ecosystem" as you put it, as well... We'll never own another PC or Android device again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    OP: If you REALLY have to have an Apple (and there is 0 reason why you have to have mac products) then get the one that you can actually upgrade some components in. Any laptop that you can't at least add memory is NOT worth buying....EVER. If you want a far better priced, better featured machine then get an Asus or Toshiba.
    Eh. At the end of the day, Apple notebooks usually have better hardware and fantastic build quality.
    I'd rate them the best notebooks on the market. I'd still personally install Windows on it, but hey.
    Apple notebooks are the only product of theirs I recommend.

Speccing them up increases the cost exponentially? Onoes. This happens with a lot of brands, who cares?
    I wouldn't buy one for gaming though.

Thread moved to the correct sub-forum.

Quote Originally Posted by THoyt View Post

OP, my opinion: non-retina display. The upgrade availability outweighs the display (which, is great, but not super spectacular). But go for which ever you prefer. My wife and I are in the Apple "ecosystem" as you put it, as well... We'll never own another PC or Android device again.
    Awesome isnt it? I am very inclined to go for the Ivy Bridge PRO then. Non Retina. But I would love to know how bad is Ivy Bridge compared to the haswell ship.

But.. I am a rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by THoyt View Post

Even if Apple had some mythical super duper longevity that no one else has the fact still remains that you are paying double or more for a product that WILL be obsolete in a matter of weeks or months. That is a poor spending habit at best. Apple uses the same components that everyone else uses except they double the price on everything. You're trying to convince us and yourself that the Core i7 you have is somehow better than the one we have. It isn't.

Apple, like every other laptop brand out there are merely middle men. They put together a few components and slap it in a shell with their name on it. Anyone can do that if they have the money to get started. Why do you think you can't pick ANY component you want instead of choose model A, B, C or D with only a handful of options?

Because that would cost way more money. Having fewer options means that they can be assembled quicker by the factory and they get much better wholesale prices when the options are limited.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Eh. At the end of the day, Apple notebooks usually have better hardware and fantastic build quality.
    I'd rate them the best notebooks on the market. I'd still personally install Windows on it, but hey.
    Apple notebooks are the only product of theirs I recommend.

Speccing them up increases the cost exponentially? Onoes. This happens with a lot of brands, who cares?
    I wouldn't buy one for gaming though.

Thread moved to the correct sub-forum.
    The hardware Apple uses is the same that Dell, Toshiba, Asus etc use. It's just priced twice as high.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    The hardware Apple uses is the same that Dell, Toshiba, Asus etc use. It's just priced twice as high.
    Nope. Apple use better wireless hardware, higher capacity batteries, better screens, very good keyboard and a much better trackpad.
    EDIT: And they are pretty good for the prices. The storage is pretty good as well.