Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Btw if the Black Friday is such a big deal in there can the people who work at those stores buy the items?

Go to work.
    Be nice.
    Do your best to enjoy your work.
    Go home knowing that you did a days work for a days pay.

But really, I doubt very much that you will be running tills/handling cash etc on your first day. At most you will be on the floor greeting customers, restocking shelves or keeping the stock room tidy.

Not glamourous but without seasonal workers retail outfits are screwed.

Rest in peace friend
    Check out my livestream and follow me on twitter.
    /
    I Livestream and do giveaways.

Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    Look around for the biggest/strongest store employee.

Go up to them and ask them how much the taxes come out to on a pair of mens medium broken in original boot jeans. When they look at you strangely, tell them the answer and knock them the fuck out. No one will mess with you after that.
    Really? just really? someone is asking for help and all you can do is type something so far past the retard line it wasted two minutes of my life reading it and telling you to knock it off.

As for the OP it's late Friday here so I'm assuming you have either just started or about to finish if my times are correct, hope it went well just remember to always have a smile on your face, you work in retail and that is a must! also.

1: The customer is not always right, but they should leave happy.
    2: Retail is detail.
    3: You don't sell shelf space! so make sure your stock is full.

Other than that try not to be nervous it's your first day, do your best and ask for help and ask as many questions as you can, shows you want to learn and are willing too.
    Last edited by dejec1989; 2013-11-28 at 07:25 PM.

If they have a rule book or even their website read as much as you can so your prepared to answer people's questions. My guess you will be shadowing someone or doing simple tasks so make sure you watch and learn. Don't be afraid to ask questions but make sure you absorb the answers as well as it can be frustrating answering the same question 10 times.

Good luck and try not to be too nervous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    What time do you go in? If its later most of the crowds will be gone and half of your day will be watching company practices videos in the back.
    You know, I have never had to watch any kind of training videos, at any place I've worked. I've seen tapes sitting there, but nothing ever happens. At Wal-Mart, we had to watch things, but they were review things before we took a test on them at the end. You didn't even have to watch them, you could just skip to the test.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-11-28 at 08:01 PM.

Honestly don't plan on doing much of anything. You will probably fill out paper work, maybe watch some videos, and then shadow someone. They don't expect you to be helpful at all, so just stay out of the way. Help where you can, and for God's sake SHOW UP EARLY...parking is probably going to be a bitch.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Just keep your head up and do your best. Try to absorb as much information as you can and don't be afraid to ask questions. It will be a busy day, so make sure you get enough sleep and eat well. In a sense, it's like those tips they would give for students regarding the time before a test. Also, don't expect customers to be as kind to you as they would on a normal because they are probably in a rush to find clothes before others do. Good luck!

Just pay attention, nothing will make your co-workers more annoyed than having to babysit you all day because you can't follow instructions. Also; are you actually starting work tomorrow or is it more of an induction day? If that's the case there's a good chance you won't even be on the shop floor for most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by chosenkiwi View Post
    Best thing to do when starting a new job is just absorb all you can in:

-Learn the names of the key people you will be interacting with.
    -Understand the layout and procedures of the place.
    -Listen to what people tell you and don't do otherwise, even if you think what they say is counter-productive. If you think something could be done in a better way, say so but if they say no leave it at that.
    -Just try and keep your head down and show you are a thorough worker. You will eventually socialize with people there but first impressions for your superiors is more important.
    -Try and avoid looking at your phone for a few days. As a team leader this one kind of irritates me with new starters.
    -If you need help or don't know something ASK! Even if you've already asked a few times! Can't deal with people just standing there waiting for help to materialize in front of them...
    -If for some reason you find yourself with nothing to do, ask for something to do, this really depends the place you work at but as a starter you will always want to look busy.
    -DO NOT BE LATE.
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    Sounds like you have a good attitude, OP. You should do just fine. I've worked in retail and the best advice I can give you is to try to learn things as quickly as possible. I know it sounds kind of rude, but try not ask a lot of questions, do your best to understand things the first time they're explained to you because the managers will be stretched far beyond their means already and might not like it if you're following them around all day like a lost puppy.

Don't be daunted by the fact that it's big bad black Friday, just do what you can and soak it all in. Keep a positive attitude, pay attention, and the rest will fall into place.

Best of luck!
    Two people giving advise that contradict each other (imo). How do you reckon the OP should act?
    This is why working makes me feel ill, what are you supposed to do? Everybody says different...

I for one know my father have expressed disliking when somebody (not necessarily me) asks alot, my response is what do you want him to do? Do it wrong?
    In that case he says; re-do it (he's a carpenter btw). (might be the wrong translation for it!)

This might just be the case with building-stuff-workers (eg. carpenter) as I did not get that feeling when I was working in a food store.

I do very much wish you good luck tomorrow, most likely nothing particular will happen. It will just be an ordinary first day at work! =)
    Also, the days where ALOT happen are almost always the most fun ones, the day passes so fast! ;D
    And the register habit will most likely come back rather quick =)
    Last edited by Freeaze; 2013-11-29 at 12:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    Problem: I have a square peg and a round hole. Peg must fit in hole.
    Solution1: Round off the edges until it fits the desired hole. Solution2: Make the round hole a square.
    People's Perception1: Why didn't you just make both a triangle? Because clearly you're stupid.
    People's Perception2: Obviously you are a moron - rounding edges or making the hole different doesn't change the fact that they didn't fit together in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarhym
    This thread has been locked due to its existence.

Don't really have any tips, but whoever hired you is retarded for having your first day be Black Friday.

most stores around me are opening at 8 p.m. they are ruining the fun of all of ti.

Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by stevo5566 View Post
    Hey all, i recently got a job at American Eagle and well i'm a little nervous because of the day i am starting on. It is a busy day and often crazy. I start tomorrow and could use a few tips and such. I want to be ready and have no issues.

So, this is my first real job, however i have worked with my parents. Its been a long time since i used a cash register but i know they'll show me the ropes. I'm sure i'll be fine. Can anyone provide any tips/suggestions for my first day?
    Stay calm, don't lose your temper just because people around you are acting stupidly, always be polite, try to remember the names of your new co-workers and never complain about anything. Stick to those rules and you can go a long way. You'd be suprised how many people in workplaces ignore several of those rules, then wonder why no one wants to work with them and why they're the first ones out the door when they need to downsize.

As a store manager : don't fucking ask to go smoke every hour. Us non-smokers don't get to sit down for 10 mins for no reason, you shouldn't be able to go stand outside for 10 mins doing nothing.

People will be assholes to you, they will expect you to know everything (the customers, not other employees). If they get in your face for whatever reason just smile at them and appologise and say that it's your first day and your still trying to learn how it all goes.

Some of the time it will work, however with how crazy it seems you Americans get on 'black firday' I expect lots of angry customers expecting the world to just stop and bow down to them.

In this case I would advise just sticking with someone that knows what they are doing, shadow them (if you are not already assigned to shadow soemone) and learn from them.

Also after my 15 years of retail I have learnt the following rules to live by that makes your life so much easier dealing with costomers on a busy period, be it the morning rush, or the extended periods leading up to christmas/easter:

1: The customer is not always right, however do not point that out to them. If in doubt refer them to the next person up the chain of command at your store.
    2: Never raise your voice to a customer, no matter what they are doing, unless they are running out the store with something expensive (stealing) then yell away.
    3: Your fellow workers are your support net when working, don't be a dick to them. You never know when they can prove useful in finding an item or reaching that top shelf you can't reach.
    4: Never be late, if you have to be late due to stuff outside of your control, call the store or if you have a direct line to your supervisor, call them or text them with a VERY breif message and explain when you get there. May not always work and you may get a black mark against your name, but some supervisors respect the effort to notify them (failing that just rub your hands on your car tires and say you got a flat and had to change it, they will see the crap on your hands and believe you..but only once)
    5: Ask questions, if your ever unsure, get it cleaned up asap.
    6: If you see a mess in store, clean it up, even if it's not your department or job, especially if it's liquids.
    7: Most important: use your common sense and show initiative, don't constantly look for your boss and ask 'What can I do now?' Look around and be proactive cleaning shelves, restock stuff, take stuff from the registers that was left and put it back on shelf...that sort of thing.
    8: Don't panic and don't stress about mistakes, it happens we all do it, we all learnt from them, so shall you.

Hope that helps..oh and get a good nights sleep and don't stress out. What happens happens regardless of what you do. Be prepared for chaos and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by chosenkiwi View Post
    Best thing to do when starting a new job is just absorb all you can in:

-Learn the names of the key people you will be interacting with.
    -Understand the layout and procedures of the place.
    -Listen to what people tell you and don't do otherwise, even if you think what they say is counter-productive. If you think something could be done in a better way, say so but if they say no leave it at that.
    -Just try and keep your head down and show you are a thorough worker. You will eventually socialize with people there but first impressions for your superiors is more important.
    -Try and avoid looking at your phone for a few days. As a team leader this one kind of irritates me with new starters.
    -If you need help or don't know something ASK! Even if you've already asked a few times! Can't deal with people just standing there waiting for help to materialize in front of them...
    -If for some reason you find yourself with nothing to do, ask for something to do, this really depends the place you work at but as a starter you will always want to look busy.
    -DO NOT BE LATE.
    This. I would add
    1) Mistakes happen. You're new. If it does apologize and get help if you need it.
    2) SOME customers are asshats. They will whine about everything; regardless of its in your power or not. Either try and help em or direct them to customer service.
    3) Try and have some fun. Crack some jokes. Laugh. I mean I'm assuming you're somewhat young. Its a job not a career. Take it seriously but not SO seriously that you're freaking out over every little thing.
    It has been scientifically confirmed that if Eiffel was green; he would in fact die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Honestly? I would have asked to start on a different day. That's their fault for even thinking it's a good idea. My bosses like to start people on Fridays, instead of during the week when it's slower. Bad idea.
    Yeah, as a manager, I'd put all my good and experienced people out front on Black Friday and schedule my dumb or new people for slower days to learn the new guys the ropes and, well, because the dumb people can be dumb when it's slower.
    Putin khuliyo

Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Yeah, as a manager, I'd put all my good and experienced people out front on Black Friday and schedule my dumb or new people for slower days to learn the new guys the ropes and, well, because the dumb people can be dumb when it's slower.
    Good thing i'm not dumb, very smart xD
    Thank you everyone for the positive feedback! I really appreciate it and you guys have made me feel extremely confident about tomorrow. I AM PREPARED!!!

I'll go in ready, about 15 minutes early and hope everything goes well! They'll most likely show me the ropes tomorrow, i don't think i'll be doing Register work or such tomorrow. I was told when i first start i'd be watching a few videos!

10+ Year Old Account
    You're starting ON Black Friday? O.O Well.. um.. Just good luck with that. lol

Prob not the best day for them to start a new person who's going to feel lost anyhow imo... but I'm sure they're glad for the extra hands.

But look on the bright side, if you're starting on the worst day to work retail (and the worse season..), if this isn't just a holiday job then the rest of the year will look awesome in comparison! Really Black Friday isn't entirely horrible to work if you can have patience and find the humor in how ridiculous everything is around you.

If anything it might be a good first bonding experience with the co-workers you'll meet. lol I always found the shared semi-real/semi-fake looks of horror enjoyable.
    Last edited by OzoAndIndi; 2013-11-29 at 04:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the OP of this thread is still around, I'd be interested to hear how it went. I always like to hear follow-ups on threads like this.