Questions Regarding Old Content (Classic through WOTLK)
I've been away from the game for a couple of years now, and am hopeful that someone might be able to provide a bit of insight about the current state of the raiding content in Vanilla through until the end of WOTLK. More specifically, I am wondering if the content has been nerfed to point that it will be significantly less challenging than it was in the past.
Facts about our raiders:
- We will be leveling up from scratch, and turning off XP at the end of each game version to stop and clear as much content as possible.
- We will be running the 10 man version of each raid, never the 25+ ones.
- Our players are casual, but with enough experience to know not to "stand in the fire". The majority of us have not been past Naxx (WOTLK).
- We do not plan on using any heirlooms or items from expansions past the content we are currently working on (ie. If we are still on Karazhan, players will not be able to use drops from raid instances past Kara or from WOTLK)
- We have a nice spread of classes with pretty much all major buffs accounted for.
Maybe I'm missing something here, but...you do know that "10 man versions" didn't really exist before WotLK, right?
10-man "content" in Vanilla was...what, the original dungeons, like UBRS/Scholo? Which were MASSIVELY nerfed IN Vanilla to be doable by 5 people, and don't exist anymore regardless. I would say maybe you could do old ZG with 10 people (it was made for 20), but that doesn't exist anymore either. But I guess they nerfed AQ20 to be 10man? So I suppose you'll have that.
BC, you have Karazhan, and the original ZA - which, I believe, is also gone now. So, Karazhan. (I will say though that the heroic dungeons in BC are very fun the first times through, so if you haven't done them, that could be fun).
WotLK is, ya know, whateva. Proceed as desired.
As for everything else - raid mechanics have gotten exponentially harder as time has gone on, so trust me - knowing "not to stand in fire" was all you really needed for 85% of the Vanilla fights, let alone the one raid you can do with the group you mentioned (AQ20). Plus, your gear will be better than it ever would have been, even if you try to stick to the "real" gear, and you're going to have spells that you wouldn't have in Vanilla/BC, which is going to make content a joke. I can't comment on the nerfed-ness of most of the content, because I've never done anything like this, but I don't think you're going to have any trouble.
I guess what I'm getting at is that you'll only really have one raid per xpac until WotLK, and I don't think that any of the raids will be terribly difficult for your team - so you probably won't spend much time "raiding" in vanilla or BC. So if your main point is to just to level up some toons and have this as a fun side project while doing so, I think it will be great.