10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb WARCRAFT MOVE: Lore, Prediction, Speculation (i am convinced this is how it will be)

Warcraft Movie lore prediction: Everything that is explained in this video, i believe, is the exact story line we most likely will be seeing in the upcoming movie come 2016. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkdYX...QT-KS&index=18 (recommend you watch this)

For those who are too lazy to watch, here are some basic lore points i think the movie will explore (this is just speculation, although i think there is a good chance i am correct):

Main characters involved:
    Mediv
    Anduin Lothar
    Durotan
    Blackmoore
    Blackhand
    Thrall (baby),
    Garona (i doubt we will see much of her, but she will probably make an appearance)
    Killjaiden (doubtful)
    Sargeras (doubtful, but maybe)
    King Llane Wyrnn
    Gul'Dan
    Orgrimm Doomhammer
    Rexxar (?) (not sure about this one, i can't remember if the battle at the dark portal that rexxar took part in is the same scenario and timeline as this)
    Arthas, Illidan, Malfurion and other race leaders may be mentioned but wont hold prominent roles most likely
    Others i may have forgot

Basic plot points:
    - Mediv's decent into madness
    - Sargeras's communication with gul'dan regarding invasion of Azeroth
    - Opening of Dark Portal
    - Surveying the lands of azeroth via orc scouts
    - Durotan speaks out against Gul'Dan and him and his clan are exiled
    - Orcs (including frostwolfs) charge through the portal and establish a base
    - Orcs conduct exploration of Eastern Kingdoms
    - Conflict with the humans of StormWind, including Llane and Lothar
    - Long battle of stormwind, most likely lasts for majority of the film
    - Fall of stormwind
    - Gul'dan's trek to find Sargeras's body in the forgotten tomb
    - King Llane storming of Kharazan to get Mediv with the help of Khadgar and Lothar
    - Banishment of Sargeras
    - Gul'dan murders Durotan and his family, Thrall (baby) survives
    - Blackmoore finds infant thrall and takes him to his interment camp as a slave (this is a perfect way to end the film)
    - Thrall would one day rise to become the greatest orcish leader (thrall's story may be told in future films if this one is a success)
    - King Llane assassinated by Garona
    - Stormwind left in ruins, found by Lothar, him and his companions swear an oath to return it to it's once original might

Forgive me if i got any lore points wrong or misconcepted something in the timeline. I am quite sure this is the story Blizzard and Duncan Jones are going with for the movie, and i think it's a very high probability we will see something along these lines. We already know Lothar and Durotan will be involved, so this part in the timeline is almost confirmed already, the concept art of draenor shown at blizzcon is further re-assurance of this prediction and perhaps throughout the movie there will be scenes of Dalaran and Ironforge aswell that tie in somehow.
    What are everyones thoughts on this, do you think this is a probable way to go with the story for the movie, does it make sense? Would you want to watch the Warcraft movie if this is the story told?
    Last edited by ghostnet; 2013-11-29 at 01:50 PM.
    "Far left is communism, far right is Anarchy, be aware that you do not stray to far either way”
    "If we are confronted with differences in opinion, the chemicals that are released in the brain are the same ones that try to ensure our survival in dangerous situations."

one question I have is we saw a picture of dalaran in the sky....but dalaran wasn't in the sky till after it was destroyed by kil'jeaden the first time.
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I hear people say bring War back to World of Warcraft, well how about bringing World back to World of Warcraft

Quote Originally Posted by PlatedPriest View Post
    one question I have is we saw a picture of dalaran in the sky....but dalaran wasn't in the sky till after it was destroyed by kil'jeaden the first time.
    That was just an concept art - doesn't mean it will be in the movie (They didnt even start filming)

10+ Year Old Account
    A good film combines brevity, focus and efficiency in storytelling. The story needs a plot arc that communicates effectively.

From the little we know of the movie, I believe it will be about the First War.

They cannot spend an ETERNITY showing the corruption of the Orcs, so I would expect a lord of the rings style condensed opening "Long ago, on the world of Draenor....", so they give us a quick introduction to the Orcs.

They do NOT need to go in depth about the Burning Legion, merely talk about how some among the Orcs, greedy for power and conquest, sold their souls to Demons and bartered their people away. Quick shots of the genocide against the Draenei, maybe a Prophet Velen reaction shot in a brief cameo.

Lots of little nods towards the depth of the story appreciated by fans, provide depth for non fans and just make the world seem alive.

The introduction would serve three purposes. To show the fall of the Orcs, to show their major figures (Blackhand, Orgrim Doomhammer, Ner'Zhul and, of course, Gul'Dan) and, if it was shown from the perspective of Durotan, show his struggle to remain true to what it means to be an Orc in a world going mad. The Lord of the Rings gave the public at large their first image of Orcs, the stereotypical Brute familiar to fantasy fans over the decades.

The Warcraft Orc has to explode that from the get go, which is why the introudction would have to be told from Durotan's perspective. We have to know and care for this Orc, to understand his struggle as his people lose their way.

The introduction would make clear the world is dying, but Gul'Dan has a plan. He tells them of a new world they can go to, a world fit for conquest, a new world for the Horde. And as he whispers the name 'Azeroth', the scene would change. I'd suggest an orbital view, showing us the twin moons so we can place it as an alien world but leaving only the Eastern Kingdoms visible. Joe Public need know nothing of Northrend or Kalimdor or Pandaria.

From here, on the Human side, the film has to be about Lothar and Medivh. The focus on Lothar, as inferred by the panel, puzzled me. Surely Khadgar, a young and callow man was the logical choice to introduce us to the world. But on the other hand, Khadgar wouldn't be as strong a counterpoint to Durotan as Lothar is. And the relationships on the Human side, between King Llane and Medivh are already in place rather than having to be built on screen, they can be inferred from good writing. Khadgar can be developed incidentally, appearing with Medivh, asking questions on screen that provide exposition for the audience but also unsettle them given Medivh's answers.

And they have to be unsettled.

If handled correctly, Gul'Dan would be shown conversing with Demons through arcane means during the course of the movie. Anyone who has read the story knows he is communicating with Medivh. How do you unsettle the audience about Medivh without tipping your hand that he is the problem.
    Medivh's betrayal and reveal as the mastermind behind the Orcish invasion is one of the biggest twists which has to be handled correctly.

As for the Orcs, Durotan and Ogrim's friendship has to be at the core of it. Durotan as the conscience, Ogrim as the warrior increasingly plauged by doubts.

A scene where the two of them ride Wolves into a sacked Human village almost writes itself. Scenes where they encounter Gul'Dan will just be laden with doom, getting enraged at Durotan's insubordination. And let's be honest, they have to make people know Ogrim as well as Durotan. If there's a sequel, Ogrim will have to carry the Horde storyline next time around. So even if this is Durotan's story, Ogrim has to be a big part of it.

We all know how Durotan's story ends. That's the second twist.

Regardless, the film's climax would be the Battle inside Karazhan and the siege of Stormwind.Warcraft 2 only exists because Blizzard determined the Horde won Warcraft 1. For them, story point. Had to happen to progress the story.

But you go into a theatre, sit down, see a story of Orcs and Humans fighting a bloody war how do YOU think it ends? You've seen Lord of the Rings, you know how this story ends. The Orcs get wailed on and the world put to rights.

Except they won't, the final twist. As Lothar defeats Medivh, Garona should be carving out Llane's heart. The film MUST end bleakly, Stormwind burning, Varian shrieking, Garona weeping Blackhand gloating (and not noticing Orgrim's plotting now that Gul'Dan is unconscious) and Lothar leading his shattered people north on ships that fade into fog, leaving their incinerated homes behind.

That's less a theory, more how I'd do it. But I guess that IS a theory.
    Last edited by Obelisk Kai; 2013-11-29 at 04:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rumaya2000 View Post
    A good film combines brevity, focus and efficiency in storytelling. The story needs a plot arc that communicates effectively.

From the little we know of the movie, I believe it will be about the First War.

They cannot spend an ETERNITY showing the corruption of the Orcs, so I would expect a lord of the rings style condensed opening "Long ago, on the world of Draenor....", so they give us a quick introduction to the Orcs.

They do NOT need to go in depth about the Burning Legion, merely talk about how some among the Orcs, greedy for power and conquest, sold their souls to Demons and bartered their people away. Quick shots of the genocide against the Draenei, maybe a Prophet Velen reaction shot in a brief cameo.

Lots of little nods towards the depth of the story appreciated by fans, provide depth for non fans and just make the world seem alive.

The introduction would serve three purposes. To show the fall of the Orcs, to show their major figures (Blackhand, Orgrim Doomhammer, Ner'Zhul and, of course, Gul'Dan) and, if it was shown from the perspective of Durotan, show his struggle to remain true to what it means to be an Orc in a world going mad. The Lord of the Rings gave the public at large their first image of Orcs, the stereotypical Brute familiar to fantasy fans over the decades.

The Warcraft Orc has to explode that from the get go, which is why the introudction would have to be told from Durotan's perspective. We have to know and care for this Orc, to understand his struggle as his people lose their way.

The introduction would make clear the world is dying, but Gul'Dan has a plan. He tells them of a new world they can go to, a world fit for conquest, a new world for the Horde. And as he whispers the name 'Azeroth', the scene would change. I'd suggest an orbital view, showing us the twin moons so we can place it as an alien world but leaving only the Eastern Kingdoms visible. Joe Public need know nothing of Northrend or Kalimdor or Pandaria.

From here, on the Human side, the film has to be about Lothar and Medivh. The focus on Lothar, as inferred by the panel, puzzled me. Surely Khadgar, a young and callow man was the logical choice to introduce us to the world. But on the other hand, Khadgar wouldn't be as strong a counterpoint to Durotan as Lothar is. And the relationships on the Human side, between King Llane and Medivh are already in place rather than having to be built on screen, they can be inferred from good writing. Khadgar can be developed incidentally, appearing with Medivh, asking questions on screen that provide exposition for the audience but also unsettle them given Medivh's answers.

And they have to be unsettled.

If handled correctly, Gul'Dan would be shown conversing with Demons through arcane means during the course of the movie. Anyone who has read the story knows he is communicating with Medivh. How do you unsettle the audience about Medivh without tipping your hand that he is the problem.
    Medivh's betrayal and reveal as the mastermind behind the Orcish invasion is one of the biggest twists which has to be handled correctly.

As for the Orcs, Durotan and Ogrim's friendship has to be at the core of it. Durotan as the conscience, Ogrim as the warrior increasingly plauged by doubts.

A scene where the two of them ride Wolves into a sacked Human village almost writes itself. Scenes where they encounter Gul'Dan will just be laden with doom, getting enraged at Durotan's insubordination. And let's be honest, they have to make people know Ogrim as well as Durotan. If there's a sequel, Ogrim will have to carry the Horde storyline next time around. So even if this is Durotan's story, Ogrim has to be a big part of it.

We all know how Durotan's story ends. That's the second twist.

Regardless, the film's climax would be the Battle inside Karazhan and the siege of Stormwind.Warcraft 2 only exists because Blizzard determined the Horde won Warcraft 1. For them, story point. Had to happen to progress the story.

But you go into a theatre, sit down, see a story of Orcs and Humans fighting a bloody war how do YOU think it ends? You've seen Lord of the Rings, you know how this story ends. The Orcs get wailed on and the world put to rights.

Except they won't, the final twist. As Lothar defeats Medivh, Garona should be carving out Llane's heart. The film MUST end bleakly, Stormwind burning, Varian shrieking, Garona weeping Blackhand gloating (and not noticing Orgrim's plotting now that Gul'Dan is unconscious) and Lothar leading his shattered people north on ships that fade into fog, leaving their incinerated homes behind.

That's less a theory, more how I'd do it. But I guess that IS a theory.
    Very nicely put, i certainly would love to see this in theatre
    "Far left is communism, far right is Anarchy, be aware that you do not stray to far either way”
    "If we are confronted with differences in opinion, the chemicals that are released in the brain are the same ones that try to ensure our survival in dangerous situations."

Quote Originally Posted by PlatedPriest View Post
    By Archimonde* Dalaran has been destroyed multiple times*

I have faith in Duncan Jones as a WoW player but as a director... he seems very inexperiened.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Easy one.

Since it was already mentioned, the movie starts a few years before WoW Vanilla events ...

Just read the novel Of Blood and Honor by a certain Metzen.

It is a small book of 70 pages and makes for a better focused story than any of the general hocus/pocus and mic/mac seen in these pages.

Make it simple, human like, show the friendship between enemies and show father/son relationship. Possibly up and including the death of the son after joining the corrupted Scarlet Crusaders.

Success assured with that kind of novel.

What the OP is mentioning is a one way ticket to disaster: no sane person wants to see that.

No Director will take risks, so of all the WoW books I read the Blood and Honor novel is what Warcraft is all about.

And women may cry, while men will love the honor part and both will be in pain and will want a follow up.

Most importantly: NO gaming experience is needed to enjoy this story.

I shudder with the thought of seeing the other references in this thread: you do NOT want to make a movie for 300k Lore fanatics: it would be a complete and utter disaster.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-11-30 at 12:23 AM.

Deleted
    On another note I do find it difficult to integrate some of the less-mentioned races of Warcraft in the movie in a meaningful manner. How do they want to involve Gnomes in the storyline for example? There are way too many races with their own backstory and motivations in this massive lore to give every single one of them their 2-5 mintues of exposition in this movie.

Blizzard would be best having Horde and Alliance fighting against a common foe. You can then delve into subplot or two and have a tad of back story, but just keep it simple. You want a story that not only appeals to fans of the game(s), but to those who enjoy a great film experience. "Alien" was a great movie because it was succinct and it established a compelling universe. It also asked big questions and left the audience to answer them. The same can be said about "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope."
    Last edited by Dolus; 2013-11-30 at 12:40 AM.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    By Archimonde* Dalaran has been destroyed multiple times*

I have faith in Duncan Jones as a WoW player but as a director... he seems very inexperiened.
    Well he has directed Moon and Source Code, both of which could be lodged in the sci-fi subgenre of films. And Warcraft is known for blending elements of that with Fantasy. Also, according to Legendary's press release from the link below, apparently Jones has re-written the script by Charles Leavitt:
    http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/11/27/wa...layed-to-2016/
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

I would love a forsaken appearence, but sadly I think you are about right in the time period the movie will be set in doesn't really make that possible. But still I can dream. Maybe the sequel.